Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on April 12, 2007

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2007
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on April 12, 2007

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New

      Nick Lowe - People Change - At My Age - Yep Roc*
      [ This song also features the vocals of Chrissie Hynde. Its
      been six years since Nick Lowe's last set of original material & this
      is well worth the wait. This album is slated for a June 26 release.
      And Yep Roc continues their hot streak of quality releases. ]

      The Trip Wires - Lesson Pony - Makes You Look Around - TBD*

      Eddie Floyd - Good Love, Bad Love - Quentin Tarantino's "Death
      Proof" ST - Warner Bros*
      [ While I was buying this, the woman at Vintage Vinyl let me
      know that while Quentin Tarantino's "Death Proof" is quite good, the
      Robert Rodriguez zombie flick definitely trumps it. I'll find out one
      of these days. Quentin Tarantino does know how to pick good
      soundtrack music, that's for sure. ]

      Booker T. & The MGs - My Sweet Potato - Time Is Tight - Stax

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Willie Tee - Walkin' Up A One Way Street - Sock It To 'Em Soul -
      [ I was lucky enough to see Willie Tee at SXSW a few weeks back.
      The New Orleans artist recorded this soul classic in 1965 on
      Atlantic. ]

      Kim Weston - Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While) -
      Greatest Hits & Rare Classics - Motown / Spectrum
      [ Recorded in 1965 & still the best version of this song. Eddie
      Holland's comes close, though. ]

      The Bell Rays - Have A Little Faith In Me - Have A Little Faith In
      Me - Cheap Lullaby

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Otis Redding - Cigarettes & Coffee - The Definitive Otis Redding -
      Rhino / Atlantic
      [ This song was originally going to be called "The Roy Kasten
      Diet" but it didn't sing as well. ]

      Norma Waterson - There Ain't No Sweet Man Worth The Salt Of My
      Tears - Norma Waterson - Hannibal
      [ Is this a great title or what? Is this a great vocalist or
      what? This release also features Richard Thompson & Danny Thompson. ]

      Richard Thompson - I Misunderstood - Rumor & Sigh - Capitol

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      James Brown - I Don't Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing (Open The Door
      I'll Get It Myself) - Change Is Gonna Come: The Voice Of Black
      America 1963-73 - Kent+*
      [ This is a collection of soul music recorded in the civil
      rights era from 1963-73. From www.dustygroove.com - "Includes "Have
      You Ever Seen The Blues" by Yaphet Kotto -- alongside 22 more titles
      that include "Blues For Mr Charlie" by Lou Gosset & Joe Lee
      Wilson, "The Ghetto" by Homer Banks, "We're A Winner" by The
      Impressions, "When Will We Be Paid" by The Staple Singers, "Oh Lord
      Why Lord" by Parliament, "Message From A Black Man" by The
      Spinners, "Run Charlie Run" by The Temptations, "Cryin In The Streets
      (parts 1 & 2)" by George Perkins & The Silver Stars, "Free At Last"
      by Jackie Day, "Someday We'll All Be Free" by Donny Hathaway,
      and "The Prayer" by Ray Scott." ]

      JP Robinson - George Jackson - Change Is Gonna Come: The Voice Of
      Black America 1963-73 - Kent*
      [ Terrific vocal on this soul version of the Bob Dylan song. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Jarvis Cocker - From Auschwitz To Ipswich - Jarvis - Rough Trade*
      [ Both songs in this set seem to address a general malaise
      overtaking their countries & a personal malaise in, at least, the
      Jarvis Cocker song. The Ian Hunter song seems less resigned to
      succumb to despair. ]

      Ian Hunter - Soul Of America - Shrunken Heads - Yep Roc*
      [ This one comes out on Yep Roc on May 15. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Eleni Mandell - Salt Truck - Miracle Of Five - Zedtone*

      The Bangles - Stealing Rosemary - Doll Revolution - Down Kiddie! /
      [ Recorded in 2003. I think the Bangles at the Pageant would
      work. The Bangles at Miss Nights would work even better but that's
      not going to happen anytime soon. Somebody should get on this. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Graham Parker - I Discovered America - Don't Tell Columbus -

      Grant-Lee Phillips - Hidden Hand - Strangelet - Zoe*
      [ Kinda T-Rex sounding on this track. I think this new record is
      his strongest solo release, yet. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Danny & Dusty - Last Of The Only Ones - Cast Iron Soul - Blue Rose*
      [ A friend from Germany just sent me this CD/DVD set from Dan
      Stuart & Steve Wynn. The CD is a new recording by Danny & Dusty and
      it is accompanied by a 72 minute DVD of a live recording from a Los
      Angeles-area show recorded in February, 1986. This new release
      features some of thd best singing I've heard Steve Wynn do. This
      particular track sounds reminiscent (to me) of a really good Tom
      Petty song. ]

      Los Straitjackets w/ Little Willie G. - Ana - Rock En Espanol -
      Vol. 1 - Yep Roc*
      [ Probably the standout track of the entire collection. The
      liner notes say this was inspired by Arthur Alexander (which makes
      sense) and Pollo from Los Apson (which probably would also make sense
      if I knew who Pollo from Los Apson was). ]

      Jon Rauhouse's Steel Guitar Heart Attack - East Of The Sun (West Of
      The Moon) - Jon Rauhouse's Steel Guitar Heart Attack - Bloodshot*
      [ This is a really enjoyable album. The vocal by Neko Case on
      this song is just an added bonus. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Nina Simone - I Put A Spell On You - Anthology - RCA/BMG

      Amy Winehouse - Back To Black - Back To Black - Universal*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Bottle Rockets - Kerosene - Bottle Rockets - East Side Digital
      [ The Bottle Rockets will be appearing at the Lucas School House
      on Thursday (4/19) & Friday (4/20) & will be recording the shows for
      a live CD release. This is being billed as "An Acoustic Evening With
      The Bottle Rockets" & these will be sit-down shows for the taped
      audience. Should be a unique way to hear the Bottle Rockets. ]

      The Blasters - Common Man - The Blasters Collection - Warner Bros.
      [ Written during the Reagan era and even more apropos now during
      this ersatz cowboy era. ]

      Jimmy Witherspoon - Money's Getting Cheaper - Mod Jazz - Kent

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Lavern Baker - Jim Dandy - Soul On Fire - Atlantic
      [ This six-song set was designed to get people in a rockabilly-
      frenzied state of mind for Greaser's Lunchbox. Most of the songs
      clock in at just around two minutes. ]

      Haystack - Bad Folk - Below The Law - Self
      [ Bad Folk takes St. Louis by storm this weekend & plays both
      Friday & Saturday nights. Friday (4/13) at the Schlafly Tap Room with
      Ken Waldman and Saturday (4/14) at Off Broadway with Thee Dirty
      South. This is the second to last show of Thee Dirty South. You
      don't want to miss this. We're talking a Double Mayhem Saturday Night
      here with two KDHX Friday daytime programmers (Tim "Mystery Train"
      Rakel & Bob "Bob's Scratchy Records" Reuter and their respective
      bands. Hell, they ought to throw in Mark & Muffy to emcee the whole
      shebang and double the double mayhem -- a quadruple mayhem Saturday
      night. ]

      The Celibate Rifles - 24 Hours (SOS) - Do The Pop - Shock

      The Ramones - Do You Wanna Dance - Rocket To Russia - Warner

      The Plugz - Hombre Secreto - Repo Man - MCA
      [ This one never gets old. "Secret Agent Man" sung in Spanish &
      rocked, mightily, by the Plugz. ]

      The 5,6,7,8's - Woo Hoo - Kill Bill, Vol. 1 - Maverick
      [ Sadly, I realize this now just sounds like a commercial to
      me. ]