Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on April 05, 2007

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2007
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on April 05, 2007

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      James Brown - I Don't Mind - James Brown Live At The Apollo -
      Polydor
      [ Live recording from Oct 24, 1962. The background vocals on
      this makes me very happy. ]

      Bettye LaVette - What Condition My Condition Is In - Dirty Laundry:
      The Soul Of Black Country - Trikont
      [ Written by Mickey Newbury. This version was recorded in 1969. ]

      Sugar Pie DeSanto - DoThe Whoo Pee - Looking Good - BGP
      [ Recorded 1967 on the Brunswick label. ]

      Billy Larkin - Hole In The Wall - Soul Cargo - Vol. 1 - Bar Records

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own - Back To Black - Universal*
      [ I'm still really liking this release. Having the Dap-Kings
      assist on the backup and recording of this album was a really smart
      move for Amy Winehouse. ]

      Shirley Ellis - Soul Time - Blow Up A Go-Go - V2

      Los Straitjackets & Big Sandy - Dame Una Sena (Gimme Little Sign) -
      Rock En Espanol - Vol. 1 - Yep Roc*
      [ Big Sandy singing Brenton Wood's "Gimme Little Sign" (with
      additional lyrics) in Spanish. You can't go wrong with something
      like that. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Bees - (This Is For The) Better Days - Octopus - Virgin*
      [ This was just released overseas. Haven't been able to find a
      US release date, yet. ]

      The Jam - Setting Sons - Smithers-Jones - Collectors' Choice Music
      [ This expanded version sure is worth checking out. In addition
      to sounding great, it has nine additional tracks, including "Going
      Underground", "Smithers-Jones" without the strings, & "Start." ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Mongo Santamaria Orchestra - Yeh Yeh - 6TS: In The Beginning - Kent

      The Upsetters - Return Of Django - The Liquidators - Trojan
      [ Produced by Lee "Scratch" Perry & recorded in 1969. ]

      Toots & The Maytals - Pressure Drop - 54-46 Was My Number - Trojan
      [ Appearing this Friday (4/6) at Pops in Sauget, IL. Highly
      recommended. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Jarvis Cocker - Black Magic - Jarvis - Rough Trade*
      [ I don't think I could name a Pulp song if you held a gun to my
      head. I've just been hearing the Pulp ex-singer on various recordings
      such as the Leonard Cohen "I'm Your Man" tribute recording & his
      performances always stand out. This is one really strong release
      with words that need to be heard. Like on ""From Auschwitz to
      Ipswich", for example. I can't figure out why a song as strong as
      the bonus track gets buried almost 1/2 hour after the end of the
      previous song but it can't ever get airplay, anyway, thanks to the
      FCC. As noted in the liner notes, this song (the one I played, that
      is) makes extensive use of a "Crimson & Clover" sample. ]

      Grant-Lee Phillips - Fountain Of Youth - Strangelet - Zoe*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Jennifer O' Connor - To Ramona - Another Side Of Jennifer O'
      Connor - emusic.com*
      [ For some reason, Matador only has this new 4-song EP available
      as a download on emusic.com. It opens up with this nice reading of
      the Dylan song with just her on acoustic guitar. ]

      Bob Dylan - Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You - Live 1975 -
      Columbia

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Long Winters - Pushover - Putting The Days To Bed - Barsuk
      [ The Long Winters will be appearing this Saturday (4/7) at the
      Blueberry Hill Duck Room. Also on the bill are The Broken West &
      Stars Of Track & Field. ]

      Sarah Shannon - City Morning Song - City Morning Song - Minty
      Fresh*
      [ This is the new release from the ex-singer of Velocity Girl.
      Remember them? The emphasis of this album is more on well-crafted pop
      songs. ]

      Eleni Mandell - Girls - Miracle Of Five - Zedtone*
      [ I'll be really surprised if this isn't in my top 10 albums of
      2007. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Linemen - Town That No Longer Exists - Through Side One -
      www.linemenmusic.com*
      [ This sure is a really strong debut from the St. Louis country
      band. Find out more about them at www.linemenmusic.com. ]

      Maria McKee - Precious Time - You Gotta Sin To Be Saved - Geffen

      Gene Clark - Life's Greatest Fool - No Other - Elektra / Asylum

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Neko Case - Buckets Of Rain - Live From Austin, TX - New West
      [ This is the first time I've played her live version of the
      Dylan song. This was recorded in August of 2003. Neko Case was
      wonderful in Columbia last Monday. Mixing songs like "Bowling Green"
      & "Train From Kansas City" with her newest material from "Fox
      Confessor Brings The Flood" made for a great night. ]

      Jon Rauhouse's Steel Guitar Heart Attack - Big Iron - Jon
      Rauhouse's Steel Guitar Heart Attack - Bloodshot*
      [ Jon Rauhouse's Steel Guitar Heart Attack opened up for Neko
      Case in Columbia last Monday. They went over really well. Kello Hogan
      sang four songs with them. She also sings on this version of the
      Marty Robbins song but they did not perform this song on Monday. ]

      Hank Williams - No, No Joe - Atomic Platters - Bear Family
      [ Hank Williams takes on Joe Stalin on this song about the Cold
      War. -- "Just because you think you've found / The system that we
      know ain't sound / Don't you go throwin' your weight around / No, no
      Joe / 'Cause the Kaiser tried it and Hitler tried it / Mussolini
      tried it, too / Now they're all sittin' around a fire and did you
      know something? / They're saving a place for you" Recorded in 1950. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Camera Obscura - If Looks Could Kill - Let's Get Out Of This
      Country - Merge+
      [ I had a request for a Camera Obscura song off of their latest
      album other than "Let's Get Out Of This Country" and "Lloyd, I'm
      Ready to be Heartbroken." I was thinking that "Dory Previn" would be
      perfect based on the preceding songs. Unfortunately, some weasel
      pilfered the station copy. I went with a CD single we had that had
      this song off of "Let's Get Out Of This Country." ]

      Howard Tate - Get It While You Can - Get It While You Can - Hip-O
      Select / Verve+
      [ It's very rare when I can fill two requests back-to-back. OK,
      actually Howard Tate was requested an hour earlier but that's the way
      these things go, sometimes. It helped that Steve Pick walked in
      during the show to return this Howard Tate release I loaned him. ]

      Nick Lowe - A Better Man - At My Age - Yep Roc*
      [ Thanks to Steve Pick for bringing me a copy of this new
      release during the show. Yep Roc is slated to release this on June
      26, 2007. As expected, the vocals sound terrific on this opening
      track. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Slim Gaillard - Groove Juice Special - Atomic Cocktails - Giant
      Steps
      [ This song has it all -- some of Slim Gaillard's made-up
      language, a tap-dancing solo, Cold War references, & a loungey
      cocktail kind of vibe. ]

      Dinah Washington - Juice Head Man Of Mine - The Queen Sings -
      Proper

      Los Lobos - I Got Loaded - How Will The Wolf Survive - Warner
      Bros / Slash
      [ This East-LA band is still going strong after 34 years
      together with no personnel defections. ]