Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on March 29, 2007

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2007
      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Sam Cooke - Somebody Have Mercy - One Night Stand! Sam Cooke Live
      At The Harlem Square Club - RCA
      [ Recorded live in 1963 in front of a crowd that sounds like its
      there to have a good time. ]

      Solomon Burke - Cry To Me - Soul Alive! - Rounder
      [ Two-CD set of a terrific live performance from 1981. This
      song was written by Bert Berns (aka Bert Russell). ]

      Ray Charles - Hit The Road Jack - Ray Charles In Concert - Rhino
      [ Recorded live in Berlin in 1962 & featuring the vocals of
      Margie Hendrix. ]

      Young-Holt Unlimited - The Beat Goes on - The Best Of Young-Holt
      Unlimited - EMI

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Chuck & Mac - Powerful Love - Eccentric Soul: Twinight's Lunar
      Rotation - The Numero Group*

      Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind - Tell Mama - MCA
      [ I'd put this album in the category of one of the ten best soul
      releases of all time. ]

      Carla Thomas - Same Thing - The Queen Alone (Expanded) - Stax /
      Concord*
      [ This song was previously unissued. It was one of the bonus
      tracks added to the reissue which came out last week. Look for all
      kinds of new releases featuring previously unheard Stax material in
      the months & years to come now that Concord has purchased the rights
      to all Stax material. One thing in the works is a live concert
      recording that Carla Thomas made in the 60s. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Patty Griffin - Trapeze - Children Running Through - ATO*
      [ This song features background vocals by Emmylou Harris. Patty
      Griffin will be at the Pageant this Friday (3/30). Opening is a band
      called Terremoto. ]

      Warren Zevon - Mohammed's Radio - Stand In The Fire - Rhino*
      [ Hey, it only took 27 years but they finally got around to
      releasing one of the best live rock recordings ever made on CD.
      Recorded in the summer of 1980. I was lucky enough to attend one of
      those shows & it was pretty amazing. This expanded version includes
      four songs not on the original recording -- Frank & Jesse James, Play
      It All Night Long, When Johnny Strikes Up The Band, & Hasten Down The
      Wind. ]

      Ry Cooder - Sunny's Tune - Music By Ry Cooder - Warner Bros
      [ This was music from the film, Johnny Handsome, recorded in
      1989. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Grant-Lee Phillips - Johnny Guitar - Strangelet - Zoe*
      [ This just came out this week. Never let it be said that he's
      not prolific. There are some beautiful melodies on this album & his
      singing is as good, as ever. ]

      The Trip Wires - Arm Twister - Makes You Look Around - TBD*
      [ This band features members of Minus 5, Screaming Trees, and
      the Young Fresh Fellows & this album will be released in the future
      on a label still to be determined. ]

      Nick Lowe - Cruel To Be Kind - Labour Of Lust - Columbia

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Catherine Howe - Nothing More Than Strangers - What A Beautiful
      Place - The Numero Group*

      Gregson & Collister - Everybody Cheats On You - Mischief - Rhino
      [ For a while, I was able to see this duo play a lot in Southern
      California. The strangest time I saw them was in a desanctified
      church in York, England where we were seated on interred tombs of
      people they used to bury inside the church. It's a shame this duo
      couldn't last because the vocals of Christine Collister combined with
      the songwriting and guitar-playing of Clive Gregson was sublime. ]

      The Delgados - Keep On Breathing - Universal Audio - Chemikal
      Underground
      [ The vocalist on this track, Emma Pollock, performed at the
      KDHX/Twangfest party at SXSW in Austin a couple of weeks back. What
      an extraordinary instrument her voice is. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Los Straitjackets - De Dia Y De Noche - Rock En Espanol, Vol. 1. -
      Yep Roc*
      [ This comes out on April 3rd & features Los Straitjackets &
      three vocalists -- Cesar Rosas, Big Sandy, and Little Willie G. --
      to provide vocals on the all-Spanish versions of classic rock songs.
      This track featured Big Sandy singing "All Day & All Of The Night."
      Produced by Cesar Rosas of Los Lobos. Put this album on & you will
      have an instant party. ]

      The Dirtbombs - Natural Man - If You Don't Already Have A Look -
      In The Red+
      [ I received a request for the Dirtbombs. Seeing as how the
      station didn't have "Ultraglide In Black", I went for this great
      version of the Lou Rawls song, instead. ]

      Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good - Back To Black - Universal*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Kalyanji & Anandji - Bluff Master (Title Music) - Bombshell Baby Of
      Bombay - Bombay Connection

      Calexico - Alone Again Or - Convict Pool - Quarterstick

      Love - My Little Red Book - Love - Elektra
      [ Written by Burt Bacharach & Hal David. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Toots & The Maytals - Monkey Man - 54-46 Was My Number: Anthology,
      1964-2000 - Sanctuary/Trojan
      [ Appearing at Pops (Sauget, IL) a week from Friday (4/6).
      Highly recommended. ]

      Lloyd Price - Mr. & Mrs. Untrue - If Loving You Is Wrong: 20
      Cheatin' Heartbreakers - Kent

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Nels Andrews - Dollar & A Dream - Duct Tape & Whiskey - Promo -
      Not For Sale*
      [ You can find out more about Nels Andrews at
      http://www.nelsandrews.com. This new song was recorded in 09/06 and
      is not available, commercially, yet. This song was paired up with one
      song by AJ Roach (http://www.roachmusic.com) and put out on this two-
      song single for promotional purposes. ]

      Richmond Fontaine - Moving Back Home #2 - Thirteen Cities - El
      Cortez*
      [ This new album was produced by JD Foster and features members
      of Calexico as guest musicians. ]

      Jon Dee Graham - Big Sweet Life - Summerland - New West
      [ Jon Dee Graham is now at the point when he plays with a band
      that you feel sorry for most acts that have to follow him. Those who
      saw him play (along with the Silos) this Monday at Off Broadway were
      treated to a really fine show. He played half solo acoustic & then
      he was backed by the Silos. He then ended his set with a poignant
      solo acoustic rendering of Dan Stuart's song, The Greatest. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Eleni Mandell - Moonglow, Lamp Low - Miracle Of Five - Zedtone*

      Little Willie John - My Nerves - Fever: The Best Of Little Willie
      John - Rhino

      Percy Mayfield - I Don't Want To Be President - Percy Mayfield: His
      Tangerine & Atlantic Sides - Rhino Handmade

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Animals - Shake - Animalism - Hip-O Select
      [ By the time the Animals recorded this Sam Cooke-penned song in
      1966, Alan Price was no longer with the band. Playing keyboards on
      this album was Dave Rowberry. ]
    • Jason Gross
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2007
        >Toots & The Maytals - Monkey Man - 54-46 Was My Number: Anthology,
        >1964-2000 - Sanctuary/Trojan
        >[ Appearing at Pops (Sauget, IL) a week from Friday (4/6).
        >Highly recommended. ]
        Agreed! I saw him last night in NY and he was fantastic. After
        seeing Lee Perry, Burning Spear and Gregory Isaacs all in the last
        year or so, I'd say that Toots puts on one of the best reggae shows you'll see.

        Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and
        semi-improved!
        <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
        MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
        Crazed by the Music blog: <http://www.popmatters.com/pm/blogs/crazedbythemusic/>