Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on March 08, 2007

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2007
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on March 08, 2007

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Otis Redding - I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now) - The
      Definitive Otis Redding - Rhino / Atlantic
      [ 1967 live recording originally on the "Live In Europe"
      release. ]

      Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Hammersmith Odeon,
      London '75 - Backstreets - Columbia
      [ Tapes of this entire concert from 1975 were found & released
      for the first time in 2006 on this 2-CD set. ]

      Chuck Higgins - Tonk - Pachuko Hop - Specialty

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Bill Withers - I Can't Write Left-Handed - Bill Withers Live At
      Carnegie Hall - Columbia
      [ Recorded live in 1972. Still as powerful and applicable as
      ever. ]

      Swamp Dogg - Sam Stone - A Soldier's Sad Story - Kent
      [ Arranged & produced by Jerry Williams, Jr. aka Swamp Dogg.
      This John Prine cover was recorded in 1973. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good - Back To Black - Island /
      Universal+*
      [ This album will be released in the US next Tuesday (March
      13). ]

      Eleni Mandell - Miss Me - Miracle Of Five - Zedtone*
      [ Thanks to Rene Saller for making me aware of this. I've been
      wanting to pick this up for weeks after hearing about it on
      Suffragette City & finally remembered. ]

      Jimmy McGriff - All About My Girl - The World Of Guy Stevens: The
      UK Sue Label Story - Ace

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Reigning Sound - You Got Me Hummin' - Too Much Guitar - In The Red
      [ Written by Issac Hayes & David Porter. Reigning Sound has one
      of the best live rock & roll shows going. Add them to my list of
      bands I wish would play in St. Louis. ]

      Shangri-Las - Give Him A Great Big Kiss - Myrmidons Of Melodrama -
      RPM
      [ Mary Weiss performed this song at her CD release party in
      Cleveland last Saturday. Other Shangri-Las songs she performed that
      night were "Heaven Only Knows", "Train From Kansas City" & "Walking
      In The Sand." ]

      Mary Weiss - My Heart Is Beating - Dangerous Game - Norton*
      [ Fans of the Shangri-Las rejoice -- new music from Mary Weiss.
      Just released this week. This song was written by Greg Cartwright of
      Reigning Sound (who back her on this album). ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Son Volt - Beacon Soul - The Search - Transmit Sound*
      [ What a ridiculous song to have to censor. The FCC keeping the
      airwaves safe from the salacious songs of Jay Farrar. Example #432
      that the lunatics have taken over the asylum. ]

      Delgados - All You Need Is Hate - Hate - Mantra
      [ Emma Pollock from the late, great Delgados will be making an
      appearance at the Twangfest / KDHX party in Austin next week. Want
      to see the entire list of acts playing at the best party going at
      SXSW? Go to www.twangfest.com and click on "Twangfest Day Parties at
      SXSW." ]

      Randy Newman - I Think It's Going To Rain Today - Randy Newman -
      Warner Bros
      [ "Bright before me the signs implore me / To help the needy and
      show them the way / Human kindness is overflowing / And I think it's
      going to rain today" ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Aimee Mann - Nothing Is Good Enough - Bachelor #2 - SuperEgo

      Elvis Costello - The Other End Of The Telescope - All This Useless
      Beauty - Warner Bros
      [ Written by Elvis Costello & Aimee Mann. A version sung by
      Aimee Mann can be found on the Til Tuesday album, "Everything's
      Different Now." ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody - The Best Of
      Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Epic
      [ Seven and a half minutes and leaving you wanting more. ]

      Oscar Brown, Jr. - Somebody Buy Me A Drink - Sin & Soul - Columbia

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Coulson, Dean, McGuinness, & Flint - I Wanna Be Your Lover - Lo &
      Behold - Air Mail Archive
      [ When this album was recorded in 1972, it was the first time
      most of the general public had heard many of these Dylan songs.
      Coulson, Dean, McGuinness, & Flint had learned them from various
      bootlegs circulating at the time. This album was co-produced by
      Manfred Mann & this song was not on the original album. It was one
      of several bonus tracks included on this reissue. ]

      Toni Price - Obviously 5 Believers - Hey - Antone's
      [ I've been to Austin, at least, a dozen times and have seen
      well over a hundred acts play there and I still have never seen this
      Austinite play. ]

      Bob Dylan - Tombstone Blues - No Direction Home - Columbia
      [ Alternate take featuring background vocals ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Ry Cooder - Hank Williams - My Name Is Buddy - Nonesuch*
      [ This just came out this week. Stories of the labor movement,
      Depression, J. Edgar Hoover, etc. are all intertwined in these songs
      as told by various animals such as Buddy The Cat & J. Edgar The Pig.
      A book with illustrations and narratives accompany the CD. Ry Cooder
      handles most of the vocals on this release. ]

      The Linemen - Wasting Time - Through Side One -
      www.linemenmusic.com*
      [ Fine debut CD release by this real country St. Louis band.
      Find out more about teh band at www.linemenmusic.com ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Pahinui Brothers - My Old Friend The Blues - The Pahinui
      Brothers - Pahini
      [ Really nice version of this Steve Earle song recorded in 1992.
      The vocals are reminiscent of John Hiatt. ]

      James Hunter - Mollena - People Gonna Talk - Rounder
      [ Appearing at Harrah's VooDoo Lounge on Thursday (March 22). I
      will not miss this. ]

      Marlena Shaw - Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Out Of Sight - Universal
      [ This was written by Johnny "Guitar" Watson, Larry Williams, &
      Joe Zawinul and was released on Cadet. ]