bad week

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23 7:17 AM
      Three accomplished musicians -- Split Lip Rayfield leader Kirk
      Rundstrom, Sun City Girls percussionist Charles Gocher and King
      Crimson drummer Ian Wallace -- all succumbed to cancer this week.
      Rundstrom's death was not a surprise, given that he'd played farewell
      shows with SLR and Scroat Belly since last fall, but I remain amazed
      at his passion for music as he sang to the very end while cancer
      ravaged his esophagus. That's passion. Maybe my favorite memory is
      him hanging out at Twangfest throwing devil horns from the crowd at
      bands he dug. He is remembered here:
      <http://backtorockville.typepad.com/back_to_rockville/2007/02/split_lips_kirk.html>.

      Gocher battled his disease in private, and the news was a shock. Sun
      City Girls remained prolific over the past few years, and as far as I
      know the Bishop brothers will continue on without him, though
      understandably there is no talk beyond mourning Gocher on the website:
      <http://www.suncitygirls.com/news/>.

      Wallace played behind some of my favorite acts of the 1970s, including
      King Crimson and Warren Zevon. He'd been playing with the 21st
      Century Schizoid Band before being diagnosed with esophagal cancer
      last year. His painful struggle may be read in detail at his site:
      <http://www.ianrwallace.com/diary.php>.

      RIP, all.
    • Jason Gross
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24 7:51 AM
        Bad week indeed. There was also this nice obituary for Wallace in
        the Tennessean where they cover his extensive session
        work. Interesting to hear Rodney Crowell detail his love of King Crimson.

        <http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070224/ENTERTAINMENT01/702240334/1005/MTCN0303>

        Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and
        semi-improved!
        <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
        MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
        Crazed by the Music blog: <http://www.popmatters.com/pm/blogs/crazedbythemusic/>