Re: [fearnwhiskey] Bad Luck Streak / The Squid & The Whale

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2007
      On 2/9/07, jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...> wrote:

      > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com <fearnwhiskey%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Carl Z." <zimm28@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Happily, Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School was issued on CD a few
      > years ago,
      > > and I believe Elektra still has it in print. Once The Envoy and
      > Stand In
      > > the Fire come out next month, every Zevon record will have been
      > issued at
      > > least once on CD. (I think Hindu Love Gods and Mr. Bad Example are
      > out of
      > > print.)
      >
      > Why wasn't I notified about this? Man, nobody tells me about
      > anything<g>. Thanks, Carl

      It's a straight reissues with no bonus tracks, so maybe Elektra didn't think
      it was worth publicizing much. But "A Certain Girl" exists in digital
      form, both there and on iTunes. >

      > > Carl Z.
      > > who just got The Squid & The Whale from Netflix and will see it this
      > > weekend. And can mention that the DVD of Baumbach's first film
      > Kicking &
      > > Screaming is excellent.
      >
      > Now, this (Kicking & Screaming) I'm going to have to see. The couple
      > of songs by Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips on the soundtrack are
      > beautiful. And then when you throw in tracks by The McGarrigles, Lou
      > Reed (Street Hassle), & Loudon Wainwright III, it sure ends up
      > working well with the movie.

      The use of Street Hassle was superb, and the Pink Floyd track plays a
      substantial role in the film. Baumbach tends to make good use of music
      (especially if you like Wareham, who appears in High-Ball); Kicking &
      Screaming's featured tracks are by The Pixies, Nick Drake, and Freedy
      Johnston (best use of Johnston outside of Kingpin).