Re: [fearnwhiskey] rundgren (was: Re: XTC (was Re: work songs))

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 27 5:28 PM
      --On Tuesday, August 27, 2002 8:20 PM -0400 mosurock <dmosurak@...>
      wrote:

      > Serious on this -- anyone on this list check out the Hall & Oates/Todd
      > Rundgren tour this summer? Todd's given up on the Internet personality
      > TR-1 phase and apparently has returned to rocking hard.
      > "Something/Anything?" has become probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite album of
      > all-time. I missed both his appearances in the city this year (one was at
      > BB King's, understandably, and the last show was out at Jones Beach,
      > which I was not ready for).

      Rundgren is one of the most maddeningly inconsistent performers in the
      history of recorded music. The same guy who made _A Wizard, A True Star_
      also made the free-ammo-for-rock-critics _2nd Wind_. I'd be interested to
      hear him work with Daryl Hall if they were both in their Philly soul modes
      because they have complimentary voices. (At least when Rundgren isn't
      goofing around with a voice synthesizer.)

      John Oates's new solo record is called _Phunk Shui_. I can't make that up.

      > I have shaken up many a dance party with "I Can't Go For That," esp. now
      > that I have an extended 12" version with a lotta bass. Droppin' that in
      > with "I Can't Wait" by Nu Shooz and Expose's "Point of No Return" has
      > shaken up more dance floors in my DJing days than a James Brown medley.

      Jesus, Doug. Reading the words Nu Shooz so soon after dinner is not good
      for my digestive system.

      urp,