Re: [fearnwhiskey] Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on February 08, 2007

  • marlowe5
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2007
      Can I just say---does this album smoke or what!

      Tom

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2007
        Happily, Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School was issued on CD a few years ago,
        and I believe Elektra still has it in print. Once The Envoy and Stand In
        the Fire come out next month, every Zevon record will have been issued at
        least once on CD. (I think Hindu Love Gods and Mr. Bad Example are out of
        print.)

        Carl Z.
        who just got The Squid & The Whale from Netflix and will see it this
        weekend. And can mention that the DVD of Baumbach's first film Kicking &
        Screaming is excellent.

        On 2/9/07, jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...> wrote:

        > Warren Zevon - A Certain Girl - Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School -
        > Asylum
        > [ Written by Naomi Neville aka Allen Toussaint. This album has
        > still never been made available on CD. Hard to believe in this age
        > where, seemingly, everything's been released, by now. ]

      • jwmoosefan2001
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9, 2007
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Z." <zimm28@...> wrote:

          > Happily, Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School was issued on CD a few
          years ago,
          > and I believe Elektra still has it in print. Once The Envoy and
          Stand In
          > the Fire come out next month, every Zevon record will have been
          issued at
          > least once on CD. (I think Hindu Love Gods and Mr. Bad Example are
          out of
          > print.)

          Why wasn't I notified about this? Man, nobody tells me about
          anything<g>. Thanks, Carl

          > Carl Z.
          > who just got The Squid & The Whale from Netflix and will see it this
          > weekend. And can mention that the DVD of Baumbach's first film
          Kicking &
          > Screaming is excellent.

          Now, this (Kicking & Screaming) I'm going to have to see. The couple
          of songs by Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips on the soundtrack are
          beautiful. And then when you throw in tracks by The McGarrigles, Lou
          Reed (Street Hassle), & Loudon Wainwright III, it sure ends up
          working well with the movie.

          -John
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12, 2007
            On 2/9/07, jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...> wrote:

            > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com <fearnwhiskey%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "Carl Z." <zimm28@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Happily, Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School was issued on CD a few
            > years ago,
            > > and I believe Elektra still has it in print. Once The Envoy and
            > Stand In
            > > the Fire come out next month, every Zevon record will have been
            > issued at
            > > least once on CD. (I think Hindu Love Gods and Mr. Bad Example are
            > out of
            > > print.)
            >
            > Why wasn't I notified about this? Man, nobody tells me about
            > anything<g>. Thanks, Carl

            It's a straight reissues with no bonus tracks, so maybe Elektra didn't think
            it was worth publicizing much. But "A Certain Girl" exists in digital
            form, both there and on iTunes. >

            > > Carl Z.
            > > who just got The Squid & The Whale from Netflix and will see it this
            > > weekend. And can mention that the DVD of Baumbach's first film
            > Kicking &
            > > Screaming is excellent.
            >
            > Now, this (Kicking & Screaming) I'm going to have to see. The couple
            > of songs by Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips on the soundtrack are
            > beautiful. And then when you throw in tracks by The McGarrigles, Lou
            > Reed (Street Hassle), & Loudon Wainwright III, it sure ends up
            > working well with the movie.

            The use of Street Hassle was superb, and the Pink Floyd track plays a
            substantial role in the film. Baumbach tends to make good use of music
            (especially if you like Wareham, who appears in High-Ball); Kicking &
            Screaming's featured tracks are by The Pixies, Nick Drake, and Freedy
            Johnston (best use of Johnston outside of Kingpin).