holy grail news

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
      I first bought a CD player in 1987. The format was young, not yet the
      dominant one in sales, and not every release came out on disc. I
      waited for CD releases of a few -- I sometimes waited years, -- but I
      never waited as long for any CDs as long as I have for Warren Zevon's
      Stand in the Fire and The Envoy. Stand in the Fire is a live
      recording of Zevon in 1980 sounding like a man possessed, and includes
      definitive performances of a few of his early songs. The Envoy came
      out a couple of years later and sold poorly, leading to Asylum
      dropping him. It's a wonderful record, though, my favorite of his for
      years (maybe overtaken when Life'll Kill Ya came out), featuring some
      of the best guitar lines Waddy Wachtel ever recorded and a title track
      that sounds as current today as it did during Reagan's first term.
      Oddly many of its finest songs -- including the rock-noir classic
      "Charlie's Medicine" and the manic Thomas McGuane co-write "The
      Overdraft") have never appeared on compilations. Both records are
      career highlights, yet neither made it to CD during Zevon's life, nor
      in the sad yet commercially successful period of his illness and
      passing (I will forever wonder if Zevon knew John French's "Now That I
      am Dead" as it fit his career circumstances). A Japanese bootleg
      label issued mastered-from-vinyl versions of each last year for $50
      apiece; I thought that would be the closest either came to a proper
      reissue.

      I was wrong. Twenty years after it began, my wait is almost over.
      Rhino will issue CD versions of both albums (along with a reissue of
      Excitable Boy) on March 27. All are mastered for CD, and all have
      bonus tracks, but the best news is these two highlights of Zevon's
      career will now be freely available to the public. They are well
      worth (re)discovering.

      Carl Z.
    • Tom Huber
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
        See Carl? I *knew* all it would take was to make you cheap copies from
        vinyl. <g>

        I'll be looking forward to seeing what bonus cuts will be on Stand In
        The Fire. You know *they* should just release that whole show a'la BMG
        with the Waylon Live shows.

        Tom

        --
        Why would Dorothy want to go back to Kansas when she could stay in a place with
        flying monkeys? -- John Waters
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
          That may have been it, Tom. I've certainly played those copies a lot the
          past few months. Thanks again!

          I'm in a bit of a hurry this morning, but the bonus tracks are Frank and
          Jesse James, Hasten Down the Wind, Johnny Strikes Up the Band, and Play It
          All Night Long. That last one should be pretty wild.

          Carl Z.

          On 2/1/07, Tom Huber <marlowe5@...> wrote:

          > See Carl? I *knew* all it would take was to make you cheap copies from
          > vinyl. <g>
          >
          > I'll be looking forward to seeing what bonus cuts will be on Stand In
          > The Fire. You know *they* should just release that whole show a'la BMG
          > with the Waylon Live shows.
          >
          > Tom

        • marlowe5
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
            You're welcome, again.

            Sounds good although I can't imagine they didn't cover Roland, Carmelita, or Desperados. The WHOLE show please!

            Tom