Re: [fearnwhiskey] a non-music question for the (budget-conscious) indie/country fan

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2006
      On 12/13/06, Rob Jefferson <jeffer@...> wrote:

      > Since we haven't spent much time in Chicago in years, I don't know if we
      > have mutually favorite places (though she loves the Medici). We're
      > heading to Chicago later this month to find some upscale (but not
      > disturbingly so) restaurants.

      If your folks would let you get away with it, order a few dozen Medici pan
      pizzas. Wow, do I love that pizza.

      > > good luck!
      > > Carl Z.
      > > big fan of weddings that cost under $3K for everything
      >
      > Whoa. That's...amazing. How'd you pull that off? (Our cap is $5K, but
      > it seems that in Chicago you can barely get flowers for that much.)

      We got lucky with a really reasonable hall (since closed) in Friendship,
      which cost about $1600 for both use of the hall and catering. We were also
      lucky to have lots of friends with skills. One is a retired pastry chef who
      made us a cake as a wedding present, one's cousin was a florist who gave us
      a discount, the dress was made under similar circumstances and between Ben
      Opie's trio and the WRCT DJs, we had musical entertainment for a rate I am
      embarassed to mention given how good they were.

      Carl Z.
      who really likes the idea of a wedding at the Velvet Lounge with Fred
      Anderson and Medici Pizza. The best Hyde Park has to offer! (Don't
      honeymoon at the International House, though. Tiny rooms.)