Clip: The Gothees make the Post-Gazette

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2006
      And you owe it to yourself to click the link and see the cartoon of
      the band. The second member looks uncannily like the Mockster.

      <http://post-gazette.com/pg/06341/744150-42.stm>

      Concert Preview: The Gothees are the cartoon band for bubblegoth

      Thursday, December 07, 2006

      By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

      "What if the Velvet Underground covered 'Sugar Sugar' "?

      With that one-liner, Waldo P. Emerson Jones III had the concept for a
      rock 'n' roll band. Of course, it was supposed to be a band that would
      only last for one gig -- in December of 2002.

      Four years later, The Gothees are looking less like a joke and more
      like a real entity. They've emerged from two years of hard knocks in
      the studios with a debut CD to be released on Starfish, a small label
      out of Cincinnati. It comes out in February, but will be previewed
      Saturday at the Brillobox with a CD release party featuring special
      edition packaging.

      The Gothees could very well be the founders and keepers of the musical
      genre known as "bubblegoth." If you google the term, you get
      Bubblegoth Barbie, the page of some illustrator and then the
      Pittsburgh band.

      Jones, a local artist, came up with the idea in the fall of 2002.
      "Growing up I was a big fan of television bands like the Monkees and
      the Archies and all the Hanna Barbera cartoons that had cartoon bands,
      like 'Scooby Doo' and 'Josie and the Pussycats.' That was my exposure
      to pop music. I thought, how cool would it be to put together a band
      for a one-off show and cover some of these '60s pop songs, and do it
      in a way that had a gothic twinge?"

      Jones certainly had the voice for it, sounding like a cross between
      Ian Curtis of Joy Division and Peter Murphy of Bauhaus. And, he had a
      theremin, the essential instrument of camp horror.

      He passed around some fliers indicating the formation of this
      bubblegoth band, and starting to pique some interest. When people
      called to inquire who was in his band, he told them the truth: "No
      one."

      "A friend of mine said, 'You're starting a band, do you need a guitar
      player?' I said, 'Yeah, do you play guitar?' And he said, 'No, but I'm
      buying one' and I said 'OK, you're the guitar player.' That was the
      first recruit: Sir Lee Gothee."

      With the addition of Crimson Bobbee Gothee, Toothless Rufus Gothee,
      Dan Fogel Gothee, H.P. Gothee and Mickee Gothee (who played clarinet
      and xylophone), they ventured into the Warsaw in Polish Hill.

      "We went in thinking it's going to be our one-off show, and we'd all
      have a good laugh, but the audience really enjoyed it to the point
      where when we came off the stage, people were saying, 'When are you
      playing again?' and other people said, 'Do you want to play with us?'
      -- and we haven't stopped."

      The Gothees have been darkening nightclubs, parties and horror
      conventions ever since, and have released two live CDs from radio
      sessions at WRCT. By Jones' count, there have been nine different
      incarnations of the Gothees in four years. One member, Dan Fogel
      Gothee, quit when the band started to introduce original songs,
      because, says Jones, "He just felt like that wasn't what the Gothees
      were about."

      Two years ago, the Gothees decided it was time for a proper studio
      release, never imagining it could possibly take two years. The odyssey
      began with a home-studio attempt that was aborted. Then they booked a
      friend's studio for an eight-hour session which went exceptionally
      well until the bass player tripped over a cord and erased the entire
      thing.

      After another session, they came out with a master disc that ended up
      being corrupt. Throw in band members coming and going, hard-to-reach
      producers, full-time jobs and a stolen car, and Jones was convinced
      that the whole project was cursed.

      But now it's done and "Meet the Gothees" is a bubblegoth good time.
      The centerpiece is that diabolical version of "Sugar Sugar," so steamy
      it almost warrants a warning label. There are five originals including
      the tone-setting, "Some Irony Required," and a gothabilly track called
      "Country Pop Song." "Falco" merges Donovan's "There is a Mountain"
      with a narrative about the death of Falco. The most brilliant stroke
      might be a cover of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" that seamlessly evolves
      into "Love Will Keep Us Together," pulling off the death-defying feat
      of marrying Joy Division and Captain and Tennille (good thing Curtis
      isn't alive to hear that).

      That sense of humor is exactly why goths don't like the Gothees.

      "We don't take ourselves seriously," Jones says. "We're not goths. So,
      we don't have a lot of goth fans."

      But that leaves a pretty big segment of the listening public who might
      find something to like about the Gothees and their debut, "Meet the
      Gothees."

      As Jones sees it, what they have here is "basically the soundtrack for
      a children's show that doesn't really exist."

      'The Gothees'

      With: Vortex 7 (from Cincinnati).

      Where: Brillobox, Bloomfield.

      When: 9 p.m. Saturday

      Tickets: $5.
    • Mock the DJ
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2006
        There's also a review of the new CD in the City Paper:

        http://www.pittsburghcitypaper.ws/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A20287

        Crazier things have happened.

        Opening the show tomorrow is Cincinnati's own 7 Speed Vortex.