Clip: Fire still burns in The Ex

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2006
      <http://post-gazette.com/pg/06341/744112-42.stm>

      Fire still burns in The Ex

      Thursday, December 07, 2006
      By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

      It seems like the natural course for a band is to become more
      commercial or, at least, more accessible over time. It happened to
      Gang of Four. A decade later, it even happened to Sonic Youth.

      And then there's The Ex.

      When so many post-punk bands greeted the '80s by toning down or
      turning to disco, the legendary agitprop punk band from Amsterdam
      started to stir in avant-garde jazz, industrial, noise and influences
      from Africa and even Kurdistan.

      It was a fiercely uncompromising course for a band that never had its
      eye on rock stardom.

      "That generation of punks sold out very quickly," guitarist Andy Moor
      says referring to The Clash and The Sex Pistols. "It started out as a
      powerful movement and very quickly the record companies scooped them
      all up. Even the second generation, the post-punks, though less than
      the first, went in that direction. I actually found that period of
      punk, from '79 to '83, much more interesting. You had The Slits and
      The Fall and Gang of Four and The Birthday Party. Their first records
      were all experimental. The Pistols and The Clash sound like rock music
      to me, a bit like the Stones or something. But that next generation
      sounded like something new and really fresh. But they didn't seem to
      last. I guess The Mekons and The Fall are the only bands from that
      time that still operate."

      The Ex came to life in 1979 as squatters playing primal anarcho-punk
      with frantic beats, stabbing guitars and political rants about "Stupid
      Americans," racism, oppression in El Salvador and the arms buildup --