Early Stones lps -US vs UK?

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2006
      After picking up a copy of the Crawdaddy Book last weekend and reading
      through its contemporary reviews I wound up buying the Rolling Stones
      Got Live If You WAnt It, (think I'd had this before and not really
      listened to it since I had it as a 2fer with Get Yer Yayas) which was
      raved about.

      Having bought that I'd like to get the rest of the early stuff by the
      band. I'm just wondering how the US lps (which are available locally in
      HMV) compare to the original UK versions(which aren't).
      Has occurred to me that most garage rock bands would be more influenced
      by the US versions though it was the UK ones that were put together as
      lps originally. (though not neccessarily by the Stones themselves which
      complicates things a bit further).

      Do the US lps hang together well as lps? Should I grab the copies that
      are available locally? Or wait for the full UK versions t0o turn up?
      Stevo

      Np Spoils of WAr Walk In, Walk Out
    • Barry Mazor
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2006
        As of late, both US and UK versions are availabe in updated CD/SACD versions, and all sound
        prtety good. Personally, I find a mix of the early Stones US vs UK does it; the UK versions are
        usually better--something like Aftermath, for instance--but then, there ARE those US only
        LPs like "12x5" and they're the only way to get those familiar music combos.

        The other thing is,on many of the eariiest records you're better off with well-mixed, vital
        mono than with badly-conceived stereo, which says something for the "Singles Collection:
        The London Years" set of hits and B-sides as part of your early Stones mix.