Re: Clip: Post-Pazz

  • Jason Gross
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      hi all,

      Re the competing polls- I'm betting that a lot of people are going to
      vote in both, of course assuming that they're asked to. In the NYT
      article, you'll note that even Christgau himself said that he would
      be doing this. I asked him about a separate P&J poll a few weeks ago
      but he mentioned that one was still happening in the Voice. Matos
      knows him well and still writes for the Voice also so I'm guessing
      that he must have known this too.

      I don't see a problem with having more than one crit's poll- I think
      it's actually a healthy thing to have to different
      perspectives. Also, I'll grant you that the present Voice music
      editor doesn't trump Christgau and Eddy but I had a lot of issues
      with both of them about how they ran P&J so I'm curious to see how
      the new guy handles it. And by the way, it certainly wasn't his idea
      to get rid of Christgau (much less Eddy)- his bosses made that
      decision against his wishes.

      Even if you didn't dig Christgau, there is a certain amount of
      intellectual rigor that he brought to his work that's missing from
      the Voice now, and I say that as someone who still writes for them.

      Best,
      Jason

      Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and
      semi-improved!
      <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
      MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
      Crazed by the Music blog: <http://blogs.popmatters.com/crazedbythemusic/>