Fearnwhiskey election clip: Arkestra offspring in power

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2006
      There are many dimensions to the Democratic victories yesterday. The
      one in the clip below may be most germane to this list.

      <http://www.weeklydig.com/news_opinions/articles/devals_cosmic_roots>

      Deval's cosmic roots

      * by Noah Schaffer
      * Issue 8.43
      * Wed, October 25, 2006

      At this point, Pat Patrick might be best known for abandoning his wife
      and children. That's because his son, Deval, has made the story of his
      childhood struggle a central part of his biography as he campaigns for
      governor.

      But the elder Patrick has long been a cult figure among music fans. He
      ditched the family to play saxophone with the Sun Ra Arkestra, the
      space-obsessed avant-garde jazz big band whose leader envisioned the
      black race moving to another planet in the solar system.

      It's hard to imagine that Deval, with his squeaky-clean persona and
      corporate lawyer background, is the offspring of a crucial member of
      one of the single wildest bands of the 20th century. But sure enough,
      Sun Ra fanatics say Patrick was an Arkestra mainstay.

      "He was with the Arkestra pretty steady from 1956 to the late '60s,
      and then was back with them periodically after that," says Charlie
      Kohlhase, a Boston-area saxophonist and host of a weekly jazz show on
      WMBR-FM.

      imageThe Arkestra lived communally and ran their own label, pressing
      tiny numbers of each record. Its members performed in glittering
      costumes that could be described as half-Egyptian, half-spacesuit, and
      the music managed to mix together swing, chants and early electronic
      instruments.

      But, Kohlhase points out, Patrick was a "really creative musician who
      could work in a lot of situations. He played with [Latin jazz great]
      Mongo Santamaria, and also played with Thelonious Monk for a bit in
      the early '70s."

      A tune Patrick co-wrote for Santamaria, "Yeah Yeah," even became a
      fluke Top 40 pop hit when covered by British singer Georgie Fame.

      Deval Patrick's campaign press office did not respond to several
      inquiries about his dad. "It's interesting how they don't really bring
      this out," says Kohlhase.

      Still, the younger Patrick has long made his father's jazz career a
      part of his official biography. And a 1993 Globe profile talked about
      how Pat Patrick showed up, unexpected, when his son graduated from
      Milton Academy. "I think he was distrustful of his son going to the
      'white man's school,'" says Kohlhase.

      The Globe story also mentioned that Pat Patrick played a song at his
      son's wedding, the jazz standard "I Can't Get Started." It's a tune he
      had recorded with the trumpeter Blue Mitchell. But Deval Patrick told
      the paper that "that tune sort of summed up our relationship."
    • marlowe5
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2006
        Indeed! Cool Rick turned me on to a most excellent Sun Ra album when we were haunting Euclid Records during wedding weekend.

        Some font of knowledge that guy is...

        >There are many dimensions to the Democratic victories yesterday. The
        >one in the clip below may be most germane to this list.
        >
        ><http://www.weeklydig.com/news_opinions/articles/devals_cosmic_roots>
        >
        >Deval's cosmic roots
        >
        > * by Noah Schaffer
        > * Issue 8.43
        > * Wed, October 25, 2006
        >
        >At this point, Pat Patrick might be best known for abandoning his wife
        >and children. That's because his son, Deval, has made the story of his
        >childhood struggle a central part of his biography as he campaigns for
        >governor.
        >

        >But the elder Patrick has long been a cult figure among music fans. He
        >ditched the family to play saxophone with the Sun Ra Arkestra, the
        >space-obsessed avant-garde jazz big band whose leader envisioned the
        >black race moving to another planet in the solar system.
        >

        >It's hard to imagine that Deval, with his squeaky-clean persona and
        >corporate lawyer background, is the offspring of a crucial member of
        >one of the single wildest bands of the 20th century. But sure enough,
        >Sun Ra fanatics say Patrick was an Arkestra mainstay.
        >

        >"He was with the Arkestra pretty steady from 1956 to the late '60s,
        >and then was back with them periodically after that," says Charlie
        >Kohlhase, a Boston-area saxophonist and host of a weekly jazz show on
        >WMBR-FM.
        >

        >imageThe Arkestra lived communally and ran their own label, pressing
        >tiny numbers of each record. Its members performed in glittering
        >costumes that could be described as half-Egyptian, half-spacesuit, and
        >the music managed to mix together swing, chants and early electronic
        >instruments.
        >

        >But, Kohlhase points out, Patrick was a "really creative musician who
        >could work in a lot of situations. He played with [Latin jazz great]
        >Mongo Santamaria, and also played with Thelonious Monk for a bit in
        >the early '70s."
        >

        >A tune Patrick co-wrote for Santamaria, "Yeah Yeah," even became a
        >fluke Top 40 pop hit when covered by British singer Georgie Fame.
        >

        >Deval Patrick's campaign press office did not respond to several
        >inquiries about his dad. "It's interesting how they don't really bring
        >this out," says Kohlhase.
        >

        >Still, the younger Patrick has long made his father's jazz career a
        >part of his official biography. And a 1993 Globe profile talked about
        >how Pat Patrick showed up, unexpected, when his son graduated from
        >Milton Academy. "I think he was distrustful of his son going to the
        >'white man's school,'" says Kohlhase.
        >

        >The Globe story also mentioned that Pat Patrick played a song at his
        >son's wedding, the jazz standard "I Can't Get Started." It's a tune he
        >had recorded with the trumpeter Blue Mitchell. But Deval Patrick told
        >the paper that "that tune sort of summed up our relationship."

        Why would Dorothy want to go back to Kansas when she could stay in a place with flying monkeys? -- John Waters