Clip: Hank III

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2006
      <http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-0610310362nov01,1,4042554.story?coll=chi-ent_music-hed>

      Hank Williams III lets loose in `Hell'
      1st country album with warning for `explicit content'

      By Wade Tatangelo
      McClatchy/Tribune newspapers
      Published November 1, 2006

      Hank Williams III wishes he was a better businessman. He mentioned his
      missing manager, his lack of health insurance and the toll on his
      creativity. The problem? He blames it on being a "stoner musician."

      "It's part of the curse," he said, laughing.

      Hank III is the most controversial figure in country music. He's the
      son and grandson of country royalty but has no claim to the estate of
      his legendary grandfather, Hank Williams Sr., and has said the only
      thing his absentee father (Hank Williams Jr.) bought him was a drum
      set. Hank III mocks his dad's buddy Kid Rock on the song "Not
      Everybody Likes Us." It's from "Straight to Hell," the first country
      music CD to earn a parental advisory warning for "explicit content."

      "It cost us a courtroom battle but, yes, we released a record with a
      parental advisory warning," the 33-year-old said. "Even though there's
      not that much cussing on it, we're finally able to be ourselves. It's
      a step in the right direction where we're having fun on a record.

      "We recorded it ourselves on $500," he continued. "No record like that
      came off Music Row."

      "Straight to Hell" was released on Curb, which is also home to his dad
      and pop country acts such as LeAnn Rimes and Tim McGraw. It features
      song titles such as "Thrown out of the Bar," "Pills I Took," "Smoke &
      Wine" and "Crazed Country Rebel." Despite minimal marketing from Curb
      and virtually no airplay on mainstream country radio, the disc still
      cracked Billboard's Top 20 country album chart thanks to Hank III's
      incessant touring and dedicated fan base.

      The album begins with the Louvin Brothers' "Satan is Real," a
      cautionary tale released in the 1950s. The song is interrupted by a
      demonic laugh and then comes Hank III's high lonesome yelp detailing a
      life of sin across a wave of honky tonk sounds that include flying
      fiddle and steel guitar. Rail thin with an angular face, Hank III
      sounds and looks like Williams Sr., the man dubbed the Father of
      Modern Country Music, who died of a doctor-administered morphine
      overdose in 1953. He was 29 years old and en route to a performance.
      Hank III has sought out his grandfather's close friends, including the
      late Minnie Pearl, to better get to know the man he so closely
      resembles in terms of music and personal demons.

      "He had [his wife] Audrey there and that worked, helped him keep his
      [expletive] together. Just having that one right-hand person is a huge
      deal," Hank III said.

      "I've yet to have that. I've come close, but I'm still looking. Still
      doing the laundry, running the business, doing shows and cutting the
      grass," he continued. "Audrey played a big role. When she left, things
      got messed up."

      Although Hank III has a genuine affection for classic country music,
      he never abandoned his first love, heavy metal. He opens his show with
      material from his three country albums. The band takes an intermission
      and then returns as Ass Jack, a speed-country-metal band influenced by
      acts such as the Melvins. Hank III's been struggling to get Ass Jack
      on record for the past five years.

      "I think its finally going to happen," he said.

      Hank III was at the end of a nine-day tour break when he answered his
      mobile phone on his way to the Nashville International Airport to pick
      up bandmates. He had spent the down time "on his back ... coughing up
      the green and blowing it out.

      "It usually takes a month to fully recuperate, to shake off the
      dizziness, I'm still a little zombified," he said. "But it's the
      `Straight to Hell tour,' we started June, 6, 2006, it's the 666 year,
      this one is gonna burn." Hank III laughed wickedly.