Clip: Writer of "The Long Black Veil" passes away

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2006
      <http://www.suntimes.com/news/obituaries/116813,CST-NWS-xwilk30.article>

      Nashville Hall of Fame songwriter dies

      October 30, 2006
      NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Songwriter Marijohn Wilkin, who helped pen such
      classics as ''The Long Black Veil'' and ''One Day at a Time,'' has
      died. She was 86.

      Ms. Wilkin died Saturday, said S. Reese, director of Woodlawn
      Roesch-Patton Funeral Home.

      Ms. Wilkin had learned last year that her 2003 triple bypass had
      failed and that she was not a candidate for another procedure.

      ''It's OK,'' she said. ''I have my faith. . . . Don't be sad for me.''

      Ms. Wilkin was a founder of the Nashville Songwriters Association and
      was dubbed ''the den mother of Music Row.'' She was inducted into the
      Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1975.

      She is credited with discovering Kris Kristofferson, who released a
      statement Sunday calling her a ''tough, intelligent and funny woman
      making it in a man's world.'' AP