work songs

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 26, 2002
      Since I'll be probably be on the air Labor Day (the schedule will be made
      up this week), I'm going to be playing songs about labor. Union songs,
      work songs, and at least one Waitress Song (Freakwater's). Got any you'd
      like to hear?

      clocking in,
      Carl Z.
    • Kelly Kessler
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 26, 2002
        Working Girl Blues - Hazel & Alice
        Sweetheart - Dan Hicks
        Working In A Coal Mine
        Gotta Do My Time - Flatt & Scruggs
        Black Betty - Nick Cave
        Lucky Old Sun - Tom Jones
        Anvil Chorus - Verdi
        Parchman Farm - Mose Allison
        Gal You've Got A Job To Do - Osborne Bros.
        Never Picked Cotton - Roger Wallace
        Lazy Bones - Hoagy Carmichael
        Two More Bottles Of Wine - Delbert McClinton
        Holiday - the Kinks
        Space Oddity (what?! you don't think Major Tom was working?)
        Muleskinner Blues - Dolly Parton
      • Christopher Knaus
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 27, 2002
          Hey there,

          Kate Bush - Women's Work (Geddit? Labor? Geddit?)
          Stick Together - Frank Zappa (One of the few anti-union songs out there)
          Union Made - Waco Bros.
          Get a Job - Sha Na Na (heh)

          Later...
          CK

          Last call for big candy on a pole-stick.
        • melenche
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 27, 2002
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
            > Since I'll be probably be on the air Labor Day (the schedule will be
            made
            > up this week), I'm going to be playing songs about labor. Union
            songs,
            > work songs, and at least one Waitress Song (Freakwater's). Got any
            you'd
            > like to hear?

            Songs about work and quiet (or not so quiet) desperation:

            We Got To Get Out of This Place
            Five O'Clock World
            Good Ol' Boy (Gettin' Tough)
            Week of Living Dangerously

            and who can ever forget the song of the little woman at home, My Baby
            Takes the Morning Train

            Nina M.
          • Hill, Christopher J
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 27, 2002
              Sixteen Tons - Eric Burdon
              Back on the Chain Gang - Pretenders
              You Can't Take It With You - Paul Kelly & the Messengers
              (might work as a closer)
              Working Girls - Pernice Brothers
              Monkey Suit - Pernice Brothers (LOVE this song...)
              Sick Day - Fountains of Wayne
              John Henry - Snakefarm (rearrangement of the old traditional)
              Finest Worksong or Driver 8 - R.E.M.

              The Kate Bush nomination is a classic.

              Chris
              np: v/a Magnet sampler v. 25

            • ahacksaw1
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 27, 2002
                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                > Since I'll be probably be on the air Labor Day (the schedule will be
                made
                > up this week), I'm going to be playing songs about labor. Union
                songs,
                > work songs, and at least one Waitress Song (Freakwater's). Got any
                you'd
                > like to hear?

                Yes. I would like to hear the _Coal Mining Women_ comp in its
                entirety. No? Okay, how about just "Blue Diamond Mines"? Preferably
                the classic Phyllis Boyens version, though John Doyle does an awfully
                nice take on it on his solo record.

                Also:
                The Jam, "Man in the Corner Shop"
                Spizz Energi, "Work"
                The Members, "Working Girl"
                Gang of Four, "It's Her Factory"
                Billy Bragg, "There Is Power in a Union"

                I'll think of more, but that should do for now.
              • Thom Wodock
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 27, 2002
                  Dave Alvin - Brother on the line
                  The Blasters - Common Man
                  Paul Butterfield Blues Band - The Work Song (intrumental - but a great one)
                  Ministry - Work For Love

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 27, 2002
                    --On Tuesday, August 27, 2002 12:14 PM -0400 Thom Wodock <wodock@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Paul Butterfield Blues Band - The Work Song (intrumental - but a great
                    > one) Ministry - Work For Love

                    Do you propose this as a segue, Thom?

                    Carl Z.
                    already itching to get my fingers on the Hazel & Alice records. I think
                    the Deliberate Strangers' "Anthracite" will also get dusted off.
                  • dpurcell99
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 27, 2002
                      - Welcome To The Working Week - Elvis Costello
                      - Working In A Coalmine - Devo's version
                      - Big Boss Man - Jimmy Reed
                      - Maggie's Farm - Dylan
                      - Waiting For The Great Leap Forward - Billy Bragg (and I'll second
                      Amy's call for There Is Power In A Union)
                      - John Henry's Hammer

                      ...and, of course, something by Men At Work. ;-)

                      Dave

                      Pike 27: http://www.pike27.net/
                    • Lance Davis
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 27, 2002
                        Has anyone mentioned this obvious one?

                        Workin' Man Blues - Merle (or Lone Justice)

                        Lance

                        =====
                        "Why should I care about posterity? What's posterity ever done for me?"
                        --Groucho Marx

                        http://finance.yahoo.com
                      • Kathleen Loebig
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 27, 2002
                          Wow - my list was almost the same.

                          I will add:

                          Silkworm: Slave Wages
                          XTC: Earn enough for us
                          <BR>

                          <tt>
                          - Welcome To The Working Week - Elvis Costello<BR>
                          - Working In A Coalmine - Devo's version<BR>
                          - Big Boss Man - Jimmy Reed<BR>
                          - Maggie's Farm - Dylan<BR>
                          - Waiting For The Great Leap Forward - Billy Bragg (and I'll second <BR>
                          Amy's call for There Is Power In A Union)<BR>
                          - John Henry's Hammer<BR>
                          <BR>
                          ...and, of course, something by Men At Work. ;-)<BR>
                          <BR>
                          Dave<BR>
                          <BR>
                          Pike 27: <a href="http://www.pike27.net/" target="_blank">http://www.pike27.net/</a><BR>
                          <BR>
                          <BR>
                          <BR>
                          <BR>
                          <BR>
                          </tt>

                          <tt>
                          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<BR>
                          fearnwhiskey-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<BR>
                          <BR>
                          </tt>

                          Download the free Opera browser at http://www.opera.com/

                          Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/

                          Powered by Outblaze
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 27, 2002
                            --On Wednesday, August 28, 2002 7:31 AM +0800 Kathleen Loebig
                            <missdiva@...> wrote:

                            > XTC: Earn enough for us

                            Good call -- I hadn't thought about _Skylarking_ in ages. Has Todd
                            Rundgren been involved with a listenable album since? He and Partridge may
                            have butted egos, but the results were gorgeous.

                            Carl Z.
                          • mosurock
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 27, 2002
                              Serious on this -- anyone on this list check out the Hall & Oates/Todd
                              Rundgren tour this summer? Todd's given up on the Internet personality TR-1
                              phase and apparently has returned to rocking hard. "Something/Anything?" has
                              become probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite album of all-time. I missed both his
                              appearances in the city this year (one was at BB King's, understandably, and
                              the last show was out at Jones Beach, which I was not ready for).

                              I have shaken up many a dance party with "I Can't Go For That," esp. now
                              that I have an extended 12" version with a lotta bass. Droppin' that in
                              with "I Can't Wait" by Nu Shooz and Expose's "Point of No Return" has shaken
                              up more dance floors in my DJing days than a James Brown medley.

                              doug

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 27, 2002
                                --On Tuesday, August 27, 2002 8:20 PM -0400 mosurock <dmosurak@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Serious on this -- anyone on this list check out the Hall & Oates/Todd
                                > Rundgren tour this summer? Todd's given up on the Internet personality
                                > TR-1 phase and apparently has returned to rocking hard.
                                > "Something/Anything?" has become probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite album of
                                > all-time. I missed both his appearances in the city this year (one was at
                                > BB King's, understandably, and the last show was out at Jones Beach,
                                > which I was not ready for).

                                Rundgren is one of the most maddeningly inconsistent performers in the
                                history of recorded music. The same guy who made _A Wizard, A True Star_
                                also made the free-ammo-for-rock-critics _2nd Wind_. I'd be interested to
                                hear him work with Daryl Hall if they were both in their Philly soul modes
                                because they have complimentary voices. (At least when Rundgren isn't
                                goofing around with a voice synthesizer.)

                                John Oates's new solo record is called _Phunk Shui_. I can't make that up.

                                > I have shaken up many a dance party with "I Can't Go For That," esp. now
                                > that I have an extended 12" version with a lotta bass. Droppin' that in
                                > with "I Can't Wait" by Nu Shooz and Expose's "Point of No Return" has
                                > shaken up more dance floors in my DJing days than a James Brown medley.

                                Jesus, Doug. Reading the words Nu Shooz so soon after dinner is not good
                                for my digestive system.

                                urp,