Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: Newman on Colbert

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
      Sadly, the song is not dated. Reminds me of when I played Warren Zevon's
      "The Envoy" (from 1982) on my show in 2003 and someone wondered if it was a
      brand new song.

      Carl Z.

      On 10/10/06, Susan McTigue <semctigue@...> wrote:

      > Carl Z. wrote:
      >
      > > Both the song and interview were funny
      >
      > Yep. He did fine. Colbert must have just known what the news would
      > bring that day, I guess. It sure seemed as if much of the audience had
      > not heard "Political Science" before, so maybe he made some new fans--
      > who will find out it was written 35 years ago!
      >
      > Susan

    • Jason Gross
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2006
        Did anyone else see the RN interview at the New Yorker festival this
        past week? He was hilarious and he kept interrrupting his own answers
        to run over to the piano to play a song. He also noted how his
        material like "Political Science" seems to be the theme song of Bush
        II, even inadvertenly (ironically?) quoted by Rumsfeld at one point it
        seems...

        Also interesting to hear that he's a rap fan (he likes Ludacris and
        I've already heard that he admires Eminem) and a Smiths fan. No kiddin'.

        His biggest regret? "I haven't watched enough of the Simpsons."

        best,
        Jason

        Perfect Sound Forever - online music magazine since 1993- now new and
        semi-improved!
        <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
        MySpace site: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
        Crazed by the Music blog:
        <http://www.popmatters.com/pm/blogs/crazedbythemusic/>
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
          I can see him enjoying rap -- though I hope he doesn't try to rap again
          after "Masterman and Baby J" unless he gets help from a producer who won't
          make the result sound like Toto.

          Hasn't he watched enough TV in his life? Goodness.

          On 10/11/06, Jason Gross <perfectlist@...> wrote:

          > Did anyone else see the RN interview at the New Yorker festival this
          > past week? He was hilarious and he kept interrrupting his own answers
          > to run over to the piano to play a song. He also noted how his
          > material like "Political Science" seems to be the theme song of Bush
          > II, even inadvertenly (ironically?) quoted by Rumsfeld at one point it
          > seems...
          >
          > Also interesting to hear that he's a rap fan (he likes Ludacris and
          > I've already heard that he admires Eminem) and a Smiths fan. No kiddin'.

          His biggest regret? "I haven't watched enough of the Simpsons."

          > best,
          > Jason

        • Susan McTigue
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
            Jason asked:

            > Did anyone else see the RN interview at the New Yorker festival this
            > past week?

            You're the first person I've heard of that actually was there. A couple
            of people I know tried to get tickets, but it was sold out. I love
            those informal music-and-talk deals he does occasionally, and I've
            been lucky enough to be at a couple of them. Are you going to do any
            kind of report on it for "Perfect Sound" to which I can refer his
            fanlist? Did you attend his Carnegie Hall concert last night?

            Susan
          • Jason Gross
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 13, 2006
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Susan McTigue" <semctigue@...>
              wrote:

              > Jason asked:
              >
              > > Did anyone else see the RN interview at the New Yorker festival
              this
              > > past week?
              >
              > You're the first person I've heard of that actually was there. A
              couple
              > of people I know tried to get tickets, but it was sold out. I love
              > those informal music-and-talk deals he does occasionally, and I've
              > been lucky enough to be at a couple of them. Are you going to do any
              > kind of report on it for "Perfect Sound" to which I can refer his
              > fanlist? Did you attend his Carnegie Hall concert last night?

              Sad to say, I didn't take any notes so it's just pieces of info
              rolling around in my head. Maybe I'll post something on my blog about
              it. I'll let you know.

              Cheers,

              Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and
              semi-improved!
              <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
              MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
              Crazed by the Music blog: