Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: Newman on Colbert

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
      Both the song and interview were funny, and it's clear Colbert is a fan.
      Best line of the interview (when discussing Newman's "My Life Is Good"): "No
      one wants to hear someone pretend to be rich and obnoxious."

      Heh.

      On 10/9/06, Susan McTigue <semctigue@...> wrote:

      > Carl Z. wrote:
      >
      > > Will Stephen ask him to contribute to "Stephen Colbert's
      > > Hiphopketball -- A Jazzerbration?"
      >
      > :-) I guess we'll see! I can't imagine why they picked Randy for this
      > show-- he doesn't have a book (or CD yet) to sell; his tour dates are,
      > many of them, sold out; he hasn't been in the news much lately. The
      > only thing I can figure is that Colbert, or someone on his staff, is a
      > huge fan. That would normally bode well, but the Colbert persona can
      > be a little difficult to parry with. I hope Randy pulls it off.
      >
      > Susan

    • Susan McTigue
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
        Carl Z. wrote:

        > Both the song and interview were funny

        Yep. He did fine. Colbert must have just known what the news would
        bring that day, I guess. It sure seemed as if much of the audience had
        not heard "Political Science" before, so maybe he made some new fans--
        who will find out it was written 35 years ago!

        Susan
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
          Sadly, the song is not dated. Reminds me of when I played Warren Zevon's
          "The Envoy" (from 1982) on my show in 2003 and someone wondered if it was a
          brand new song.

          Carl Z.

          On 10/10/06, Susan McTigue <semctigue@...> wrote:

          > Carl Z. wrote:
          >
          > > Both the song and interview were funny
          >
          > Yep. He did fine. Colbert must have just known what the news would
          > bring that day, I guess. It sure seemed as if much of the audience had
          > not heard "Political Science" before, so maybe he made some new fans--
          > who will find out it was written 35 years ago!
          >
          > Susan

        • Jason Gross
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2006
            Did anyone else see the RN interview at the New Yorker festival this
            past week? He was hilarious and he kept interrrupting his own answers
            to run over to the piano to play a song. He also noted how his
            material like "Political Science" seems to be the theme song of Bush
            II, even inadvertenly (ironically?) quoted by Rumsfeld at one point it
            seems...

            Also interesting to hear that he's a rap fan (he likes Ludacris and
            I've already heard that he admires Eminem) and a Smiths fan. No kiddin'.

            His biggest regret? "I haven't watched enough of the Simpsons."

            best,
            Jason

            Perfect Sound Forever - online music magazine since 1993- now new and
            semi-improved!
            <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
            MySpace site: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
            Crazed by the Music blog:
            <http://www.popmatters.com/pm/blogs/crazedbythemusic/>
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
              I can see him enjoying rap -- though I hope he doesn't try to rap again
              after "Masterman and Baby J" unless he gets help from a producer who won't
              make the result sound like Toto.

              Hasn't he watched enough TV in his life? Goodness.

              On 10/11/06, Jason Gross <perfectlist@...> wrote:

              > Did anyone else see the RN interview at the New Yorker festival this
              > past week? He was hilarious and he kept interrrupting his own answers
              > to run over to the piano to play a song. He also noted how his
              > material like "Political Science" seems to be the theme song of Bush
              > II, even inadvertenly (ironically?) quoted by Rumsfeld at one point it
              > seems...
              >
              > Also interesting to hear that he's a rap fan (he likes Ludacris and
              > I've already heard that he admires Eminem) and a Smiths fan. No kiddin'.

              His biggest regret? "I haven't watched enough of the Simpsons."

              > best,
              > Jason

            • Susan McTigue
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
                Jason asked:

                > Did anyone else see the RN interview at the New Yorker festival this
                > past week?

                You're the first person I've heard of that actually was there. A couple
                of people I know tried to get tickets, but it was sold out. I love
                those informal music-and-talk deals he does occasionally, and I've
                been lucky enough to be at a couple of them. Are you going to do any
                kind of report on it for "Perfect Sound" to which I can refer his
                fanlist? Did you attend his Carnegie Hall concert last night?

                Susan
              • Jason Gross
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 13, 2006
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Susan McTigue" <semctigue@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Jason asked:
                  >
                  > > Did anyone else see the RN interview at the New Yorker festival
                  this
                  > > past week?
                  >
                  > You're the first person I've heard of that actually was there. A
                  couple
                  > of people I know tried to get tickets, but it was sold out. I love
                  > those informal music-and-talk deals he does occasionally, and I've
                  > been lucky enough to be at a couple of them. Are you going to do any
                  > kind of report on it for "Perfect Sound" to which I can refer his
                  > fanlist? Did you attend his Carnegie Hall concert last night?

                  Sad to say, I didn't take any notes so it's just pieces of info
                  rolling around in my head. Maybe I'll post something on my blog about
                  it. I'll let you know.

                  Cheers,

                  Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and
                  semi-improved!
                  <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
                  MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
                  Crazed by the Music blog: