Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on September 28, 2006

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on September 28, 2006

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      [ Thanks to everybody who pledged during week #1 of the 2006
      KDHX Fall Membership Drive. Also, thanks to Roy Kasten for coming in
      and helping in the studio and to all of the phone volunteers. We
      could not do it without you. If you feel compelled to become a member
      during Memphis To Manchester, you still have another chance next
      week! ]

      James Brown & The Famous Flames - Please, Please, Please - The
      Federal Years 1956-60 - Hip-O Select*
      [ This was the first single they ever recorded. The year was
      1956 and James Brown was 22 years old. ]

      Etta James - Money (That's What I Want) - Etta James Rocks The
      House - Chess / MCA
      [ This is the closest I'll ever come to being able to experience
      a live Etta James show from 1963. Etta James & Co. just tear into
      this song. Unfortunately, I missed the Etta James show at The
      Sheldon on Wednesday. That was one really expensive ticket (even
      though it was for a really good cause). ]

      Barbara Randolph - Can I Get A Witness - Marvel Of Marvin -
      Harmless
      [ Recorded in 1967 by one of the lesser-known Motown singers.
      She sounds terrific on this. Way more of an edge than most Motown
      releases. ]

      Funk Brothers - He Was Really Sayin' Something - A Cellarful Of
      Motown - Universal / Motown

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Sam Cooke - Lost n' Lookin - Night Beat - Sony*
      [ After reading "Dream Boogie : The Triumph of Sam Cooke" by
      Peter Guralnick, I now realize what a huge part Clif White (his
      guitarist and bandleader on most of his recordings) & J.W. Alexander
      (who co-wrote this song & ran SAR Records with Sam Cooke) played in
      the music of Sam Cooke. This particular song is just made up of Sam
      Cooke's vocal along with Clifford Hils on bass and Hal Blaine on
      drums. You can not make a better music purchase than this album. ]

      Solomon Burke - Ain't Got You - Nashville - Shout Factory
      [ Brand new country soul from Solomon Burke. He sounds in fine
      voice on this Bruce Springsteen cover and the song features a really
      good fiddle intro by Sam Bush. Produced by Buddy Miller. ]

      Bobby Womack - California Dreaming - The Ultimate Collection -
      Charly

      Booker T. & The MGs - Red Beans & Rice - Great R&B Instrumentals -
      Ace

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Esther Phillips - Fever - Yet Mo Mod Jazz - Kent
      [ Originally released in 1966 on Atlantic Records. ]

      Mosquitos - Um Homem Precusa de uma Empregada (A Man Needs a Maid) -
      Mosquitos III - Bar None*
      [ This song was still etched in my mind since Roy (the co-host
      of today's show) and I saw the Mosquitos about eight hours earlier at
      the Lucas School House. The lead singer, Juju Stulbach, is from
      Brazil & Roy indicated that this Neil Young song was sung in
      Portugese. I wouldn't have known. ]

      Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips - Family Conference - The Squid &
      The Whale ST - Ultra
      [ See the movie & buy the soundtrack. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Sam Phillips - I Wanna Be Your Man - Crossing Jordan (Music From
      The TV Series) - DMZ / Columbia / Sony
      [ I have a live recording of Sam Phillips where, onstage, she
      composes a love letter to Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields and
      ends it with the realization that she knows they can never be
      together because she doesn't have "man-parts." She then segues into
      this song. ]

      Kirsty MacColl - Days - Kite - Charisma
      [ This isn't a special edition of the Week #1 M2M 2006 KDHX
      Membership Drive Show. This is a "John Playing Artists Doing Cover
      After Cover" show. Didn't think about it but that's how it's playing
      out. However, are there many better versions of a Kinks song out
      there? ]

      Isobel Campbell - Why Does My Head Hurt So? - Amorino - Snowstorm
      [ This instrumental has a great title. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Isaac Hayes - I Stand Accused - Ultimate Issac Hayes: Can You Dig
      It? - Stax
      [ Last week I played a version of this song by Inez & Charlie
      Foxx. This version is only about eight minutes longer. Probably
      violated some Membership Drive tenet by playing an 11 1/2 minute song
      but I figured it was worth a shot. ]

      Mar-Keys - Plantation Inn - Stay In School: Don't Be A Drop Out -
      Stax

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Neko Case - Soulful Shade Of Blue - The Tigers Have Spoken - Anti-
      [ Yet another cover song. This song was originally done by
      Buffy Sainte-Marie. ]

      Dusty Springfield - Don't Let Me Lose This Dream - Dusty
      Springfield For Cafe Apres-Midi - Universal

      Charlotte Gainsbourg - The Songs That We Sing - 5:55 - Atlantic /
      Because
      [ This is the daughter of Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin. Her
      debut album was recorded twenty years ago. This is her second album
      & features string arrangements by David Campbell (Beck's father) and
      lyrics by Jarvis Cocker (Pulp) & Neil Hannon (The Divine Comedy). ]

      Calexico - Close Behind - Feast Of Wire - Quarterstick

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Calexico - Corona - Convict Pool - Quarterstick
      [ In a concert full of highlights last Saturday, this is the
      only song that I regretted was not performed by Calexico. ]

      Los Lobos - Chuco's Cumbia - The Town & The City - Hollywood /
      Mammoth*

      Mongo Santamaria - Yeh, Yeh! - Mod Jazz - Kent

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Warren Zevon - Spendid Isolation - Genius: The Best Of Warren
      Zevon - Elektra
      [ It was brought to my attention from a loyal KDHX listener that
      yesterday (Wednesday 9/26) was National Mesothelioma Awareness Day.
      Sadly, this listener has a friend who is only in her 30s who was just
      diagnosed with
      Mesothelioma. Mesothelioma is the rare, hideous form of cancer that
      took Warren Zevon long before his time. A young boy who lost his
      grandfather to this disease has started a movement to get radio
      stations nation wide to play some Warren Zevon and raise awareness
      about this horrible disease. You can find out much more about this
      largely fatal (and terribly under funded and under researched) form
      of cancer at www.marf.org. ]

      Bobby Bare Jr's Young Criminals' Starvation League - Back To Blue -
      The Longest Meow - Bloodshot*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Jennifer O' Connor - Exeter, RI - Over The Mountain, Across The
      Valley, & Back To The Stars - Matador*

      Son Volt - Jet Pilot - Okemah & The Melody Of Riot - Transmit Sound

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Fountains Of Wayne - Better Things - This Is Where I Belong -
      Rykodisc

      Kinks - I'm Not Like Everybody Else - Greatest Hits - Rhino
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2006
        On 10/2/06, jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...> wrote:

        > Mosquitos - Um Homem Precusa de uma Empregada (A Man Needs a Maid) -
        > Mosquitos III - Bar None*
        > [ This song was still etched in my mind since Roy (the co-host
        > of today's show) and I saw the Mosquitos about eight hours earlier at
        > the Lucas School House. The lead singer, Juju Stulbach, is from
        > Brazil & Roy indicated that this Neil Young song was sung in
        > Portugese. I wouldn't have known. ]

        John, are your shows archived? I want to hear this.