Clip: Hank III in Pittsburgh Monday

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2006
      Someday I hope Hank cuts a record that captures the sound of his thrash set.

      <http://www.pittsburghcitypaper.ws/music/story.cfm?type=Music%20Previews>

      Hank Williams III
      Don't take me alive

      Writer: ROBBIE WHELAN

      Most of the honky-tonk greats that Hank Williams III idolizes,
      including Johnny Cash and his own grandfather, had something to prove.
      They were heartbroken, depressed, poor, and sang about it. But then
      they proved how real the sentiments were by actually developing
      serious pill, alcohol or blow addictions. The problem with the
      youngest Williams' latest record, Straight to Hell, is that the only
      thing the "hellbilly" country punk wants to prove is that he drinks
      and parties just as hard as his forebears. "I'm here gettin' wasted,
      just like my country heroes," he sings.

      If Hank III focuses too much on the symptoms of the honky-tonk
      disease, however, at least he does it with style. On the record, Hank
      and the core of his studio band, bassist Joe Buck and guitar utility
      man Andy Gibson, tear clean through each tune, providing the perfect
      twang to match Hank's voice (a much deeper baritone than his
      granddad's).

      But when Hank III appears onstage with punk patches sewn onto his
      western shirts, it's a different story. His touring outfits, the Damn
      Band and Assjack, play "Southern metal," an extremely loud,
      fuck-Nashville music that's as hard on the eardrums as it is on the
      sensibilities of a Grand Ole Opry traditionalist.

      And it's when he's onstage — gettin' loud, singing about his demons
      with a cigarette or a joint in his mouth (and a demonic grin on his
      face) — that Hank's approach makes a bit more sense: Getting the drunk
      right is equally as important as getting the heartbreak right. As one
      of Hank III's songs goes: "If that ain't country, boy, you can kiss my
      ass."

      Hank Williams III with Assjack. 7:45 p.m. (doors open at 7 p.m.).
      Mon., Oct. 2. Rex Theatre, 1602 E. Carson St., South Side. $20.
      412-381-6811 or www.rextheatre.com