Clip: Built to Spill in Pittsburgh Friday

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2006
      <http://post-gazette.com/pg/06271/725440-42.stm>

      Indie-rock jam style remains fresh for Built to Spill

      Thursday, September 28, 2006
      By Ed Masley

      With "Perfect From Now On," Doug Martsch of Built to Spill emerged as
      one of indie-rock's most sainted figures, a guitar-abusing pop
      deconstructionist working the fringes with a voice that creaked like
      Neil Young huffing helium on the windswept plains.

      But by the time he'd finished laying down the euphoric, guitar-driven
      splendor of "Keep It Like a Secret," an album many still consider
      Martsch's finest hour, that Built to Spill magic was leaving him cold.

      Burnt out on what he'd somehow come to dismiss as "alternative rock,"
      he was spending a lot of his listening time with the blues.

      "And it was like a paradigm shift for me," he says. "The craftsmanship
      and songwriting and cleverness and stuff that had appealed to me in
      the past was all of the sudden not that interesting. And things I
      didn't like before, like people who were good singers or talented
      guitar players, suddenly that became the most important part of music.
      So basically, Built to Spill became irrelevant to me."

      That didn't stop him from returning to the classic Built to Spill
      approach with ever so slightly diminished returns on 2001's "Ancient
      Melodies of the Future." But he quickly followed with a solo record,
      2002's "Now You Know," that found him drinking deeply of his newfound
      interest in the blues. And that's the last new music anyone had heard
      from Martsch, not counting live performances, until early 2006 brought
      a new Built to Spill album, "You in Reverse," a surprisingly vital
      collection of sprawling guitar jams held together by the soulful ache
      of Martsch's vocal melodies.

      The idea, says Martsch, was not to sound like "Modern Rock."

      When pressed, he's willing to concede that "Keep It Like a Secret"
      doesn't really sound like "Modern Rock."

      But it is more a studio record than he'd care to make at this point.

      "This record's a little more live," he says, "On 'Keep it Like a
      Secret,' where a lot of things were doubled, it just kind of has a
      more bombastic sound that we were trying to avoid, I guess. I don't
      know if that's true but that's just sort of my take on it now."

      Of course, it's easier to get that live feel now that Built to Spill
      is more a band, having added road guitarist Jim Roth to the fold going
      into the sessions for "You in Reverse," with founding member/frequent
      guest Brett Netson bringing his guitar heroics to the table midway
      through the sessions.

      "He's totally in the band," says Martsch. "For real this time."

      Netson's involvement in "You in Reverse" is kept to four of nine
      songs, but there's no mistaking what he added, from the 81/2 -minute
      opener "Goin' Against Your Mind" to the 6-minute single "Conventional
      Wisdom."

      "I was interested," says Martsch, "in making it sound like our jams,
      because we'd been doing a lot of jamming and recording it, and
      sometimes it was sloppy and sometimes it wasn't as rock as it should
      have been, but I kind of liked that. In the past, I was always kind of
      insecure and wanted to make sure every moment was really exciting.
      This time I was more willing to let there be lulls. A lot of times
      exciting moments happen because they're juxtaposed against the lulls."

      When Martsch says jam, it doesn't mean what someone in a wrinkled
      tie-dye might have meant.

      "I don't mean just noodling around and trying to squeeze in a bunch of
      notes," he says. "Our jamming is more like trying to find a good
      groove, and everyone's trying to come up with a part that interlocks
      with the other guy's parts, trying to play off each other in ways that
      are kind of unconventional. To me, we have a lot more restraint than
      what I think of a jam band as having. And when there are solos and
      noodling and stuff, it's usually pretty focused."

      Fitting three guitars in can be tricky, though.

      As Martsch says, "It's a work in progress. It's still something where
      we have a few years left to really figure it out -- like, when I'm
      playing leads, being able to play things so they'll actually come
      through and not be clashing with what someone else is doing. It's all
      physics. I don't want to sound like three guys just wanking around.
      But it's really exciting and fun. And I'm looking forward to writing
      songs as a five-piece."

      If it sounds like Martsch has gotten over feeling that his music is
      irrelevant, well, let's not jump the gun here.

      "I still kind of feel that way," he says. "But now I also understand
      the value of it. It's just what we do. Like, I don't know if I would
      be a Built to Spill fan if I wasn't in the band. But this is what I
      do. And to me, it's beside the point if it's the kind of music I like.
      Of course, I'm trying to make songs that sound good to me and doing
      the best I can to make music that I would enjoy listening to, but I'm
      never gonna be my favorite artist. That's not even an issue. I just
      try to play as well as I can, play the notes right, sing them right,
      try to write melodies that are interesting and songs that are
      interesting and just hope someone likes it. I like it all right. But I
      would not listen to Built to Spill."

      Built to Spill

      Where: Mr. Small's Theatre.

      When: 8 p.m. Friday.