Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on September 21, 2006

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2006
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on September 21, 2006

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      The Upsetters - Return Of Django - The Liquidators - Connoisseur
      [ This song was written & produced by Lee Perry. Recorded
      1969. ]

      Toots & The Maytals - 54-46 Was My Number - 54-46 Was My Number -
      Trojan
      [ Toots & The Maytals managed to put on a terrific show at the
      sterile Voodoo Lounge last Thursday night. In his early 60s, he seems
      to have lost nothing of his vocal range. Reggae, soul, & gospel were
      all represented in a show that should have been performed in front of
      a packed crowd pressed against the stage. Still astonishing, though. ]

      Jackie Mittoo - Grand Funk - Jamaica To Toronto: Soul Funk Reggae
      1967-74 - Light In The Attic*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Betty Everett & Jerry Butler - I Can't Stand It - Delicious Together -
      P-Vine

      Fontella Bass & Bobby McClure - You're Gonna Miss Me - The Very Best
      Of Fontella Bass - Chess

      Inez & Charlie Foxx - I Stand Accused - Count The Days - Charly
      [ This one was written by Jerry & Billy Butler (Jerry's younger
      brother). This set highlighted soul duets though Charlie Foxx doesn't
      figure into this song very prominently. He might do the judge
      impersonation at the beginning of the song. I can't really tell since
      the liner notes contain pictures of Inez & Charlie Foxx but all the
      verbiage is about Joe Simon. I guess something got messed up at the
      plant. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Dirty Dozen Brass Band (w/ Bettye LaVette) - What's Happening
      Brother - What's Going On - Shout Factory*

      Mulatu Astatke - Yekermo Sew - Ethiopiques 4 - Buda Musique
      [ Ethiopian jazz with an amazing groove. Recorded 1969. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Sid Selvidge - Every Natural Thing - A Little Bit Of Rain - Archer
      [ This song was written by Eddie Hinton. I really hated missing
      this show at Focal Point last Saturday. So much was going on that
      night. Between this show, Calexico, Raul Malo, and Smokey
      Robinson..well, that's a lot to choose from. ]

      John Hiatt - Icy Blue Heart - Slow Turning - A&M
      [ A really well-written song combined with one of John Hiatt's
      finest vocals & sublime slide guitar by Sonny Landreth. The tour to
      support this release with John Hiatt backed by The Goners was really
      special. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Calexico - Cruel - Garden Ruin - Quarterstick
      [ After seeing Calexico last Saturday, I came away thinking that
      mariachi horns combined with pedal steel is one of the coolest
      things, ever. Calexico live is a wonderous thing to behold. ]

      Love - Seven And Seven Is - Da Capo - Elektra

      Rolling Stones - She's A Rainbow - Their Satanic Majesties Request -
      ABKCO

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country - Let's Get Out Of
      This Country - Merge*
      [ Sublime Scottish pop. Highly recommended if you like that sort
      of thing. ]

      Bangles - Stealing Rosemary - Doll Revolution - Down Kiddie!
      [ Sure, this came out in 2003. It's not too late to tour behind
      it & make St. Louis a stop. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Transmitters - Comes & Goes - Transmission - Self*
      [ Last Saturday (yet another happening last Saturday), The
      Transmitters had their CD release party at Off Broadway along with
      Salt Of The Earth and Tenement Ruth. ]

      Goodees - Double Shot (Of My Baby's Love) - Girls With Guitars - Ace

      Thee Midniters - Whittier Blvd. - In The Midnite Hour! - Norton*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Beth Orton - Sisters Of Mercy - I'm Your Man ST - Verve Forecast
      [ You know that sound in cartoons where you hear the sound of
      someone or something coming to a screeching halt? That's the sound of
      ending a set with Thee Midniters and beginning the next set with a
      Leonard Cohen cover. I think this is a beautiful version, though. ]

      Carla Bruni - Those Little Things - Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited -
      Verve Forecast*

      Martha & Rufus Wainwright - Bring Back My Heart - I Will Internalize -
      Maple Music

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Sugarcubes - Luftgitar - Deus (4-song EP) - One Little Indian
      [ Thanks to Scott (loyal KDHX listener & supporter) for
      providing me with this. If the words didn't make all that much sense,
      learn Icelandic. ]

      Big Audio Dynamite - C'mon Every Beatbox - Planer Bad - Columbia
      [ 80s flashback set. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Martha Bass - Since I've Been Born Again - Soul Gospel - Vol. 2 -
      Soul Jazz
      [ Since Fontella Bass was played earlier in the show, I figured
      it was time to play something by her mother. This is a strong
      compilation that came out earlier this year and I think this is the
      absolute highlight of the collection. All I'm saying is that Fontella
      Bass had good genes to work with. ]

      Reverend Charlie Jackson - Fix It Jesus - God's Got It - Case Quarter
      [ I'm thinking there is no way this hasn't been played one time
      or another on Bob's Scratchy Records or Mystery Train. Primal gospel
      from an electric guitar-playing Louisiana preacher recorded in 1970. ]

      Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down - American V: A Hundred
      Highways - American*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Bo Diddley - We're Gonna Get Married - Out Of Sight - Universal*

      Wailers - Dirty Robber - The Fabulous Wailers - Ace

      Del-Vetts - Last Time Around - Nuggets Box Set - Rhino / Atlantic

      - - -
      [ Yeah, I know the show was done last Thursday (9/21) and lots
      of these comments pertain to events that transpired after that
      date.....timeliness is not always my strong suit. And a reminder --
      the KDHX Fall Membership Drive begins next Thursday (9/28). Remember
      to support your favorite shows. And since KDHX has so many memorable
      shows, it makes it difficult to choose. That is what makes the
      station so unique and we will continue to offer what no other radio
      station in St. Louis is doing and that is because of the support KDHX
      has in the community. We can not do it without each other. ]