Re: new CDs (including rumor of a Jay Farrar soundtrack)

  • jlswedberg
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
      Mmmmmmmmmmmaybe, but I don't think so. Believe it or not, I've only
      ever seen the Posies live, not heard their records (except for a couple
      of songs), so I'm not really in a position to say.
      It sounds like ATHENS, is what it sounds like. Tell me if you manage to
      find it and listen to it.
      --Jamie S.

      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

      > Do they sound like the Posies at all? That's the image I'm getting.
      > I'll have to see if we have a copy at the station this evening...
      >
      > Carl Z.
    • czimring
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "jlswedberg" <jlswedberg@y...> wrote:
        > It sounds like ATHENS, is what it sounds like. Tell me if you manage to
        > find it and listen to it.
        > --Jamie S.

        I couldn't find it (maybe we haven't been serviced with a radio weasel
        promo copy yet), but your comment prompted another question -- did
        David Barbe produce, record and/or mix the disc? I shall look for it
        again when I return from St. Louis...

        Carl Z.
      • lmerlin01
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
          > From http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/release183.shtm. The little
          I've
          > heard of ex-Come, ex-Steve Wynn guitarist Brokaw's record sounds
          like it'll
          > appeal to fans of atmospheric twang (WGC, Pinetop Seven), and the
          Silkworm
          > record (featuring Kelly Hogan) is my favorite thing I've heard
          this year.

          I'm looking forward to hearing this, Carl. Speaking of Chris Brokaw
          <insert gratuitous praise for ex-members of Come <g>) I'm not sure
          if you liked the Thalia Zedek CD "Been Here and Gone" bit it was my
          favorite CD last year. You folks who love beautiful mopey strings,
          smoke- and- whiskey scorched voice will love this CD (I think). It
          reminds me a (very) little of Marianne Faithful. I love love me
          some Thalia.

          Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
          Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
          pretty interesting

          Lisa, trying to catch up when I can
        • jlswedberg
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
            Dave Barbe records almost anybody who is anybody around here, but the
            disc doesn't really sound like his work. I'll ask. I would look on the
            liner notes, but I have no liner notes since we only have a burned copy
            that was given to us in the street by a member of the band a couple
            months ago. :-)

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
              > I'm not sure
              > if you liked the Thalia Zedek CD "Been Here and Gone" bit it was my
              > favorite CD last year. You folks who love beautiful mopey strings,
              > smoke- and- whiskey scorched voice will love this CD (I think). It
              > reminds me a (very) little of Marianne Faithful. I love love me
              > some Thalia.

              She smokes? No! It's a fine late-night record and I enjoyed her
              Leonard Cohen cover -- their voices aren't all that different at this
              point! I think Brokaw plays on it...

              > Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
              > Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
              > pretty interesting

              He's from San Francisco and I just cannot remember the name of the
              band he was in until a couple of years ago. Poppy guitar-based rock;
              maybe Bill knows? I want to say he's worked with Chris von Sneirden
              but have no idea.

              vaguely,
              Carl Z.
            • david_michael_siegel
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                > > Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
                > > Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
                > > pretty interesting
                >
                > He's from San Francisco and I just cannot remember the name of the
                > band he was in until a couple of years ago. Poppy guitar-based
                rock;
                > maybe Bill knows? I want to say he's worked with Chris von Sneirden
                > but have no idea.

                Definitely poppy indie guitar rock. I heard more of a Kinks
                influence than anything else.

                I've seen him a couple of times, once at a SXSW day party and once in
                Chicago at the Abbey Pub (opening for Lambchop). My impression's
                been that he can't hold it together in a live show as well as on
                album, but I've liked what I've heard off the latest (Life & Death of
                an American Fourtracker).

                David
              • Steve Gardner
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                  john vanderslice was a member of MK Ultra who did the song "bill gates must die." our station, wxdu, has been playing the crap out of the cd, but i don't know much about his music myself. everyone here loves him, but i haven't been paying enough attention in that area.

                  in an unrelated note, our local indie rock record store (Radio Free Records in Durham) got robbed last night. we just went by there today to buy the tift record (on vinyl!) but their doors were closed. very sad. i doubt they even had insurance since they didn't even pay for heating or a/c. they are one of my favorite stores ever. nice guys, helpful, they find great cds and sell 'em cheap. it makes me sad. as my friend matt said, "they should use the electric chairs on people who rob indie rock record stores." i'm with him.

                  steve