Re: New Silkworm

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 26 , May 19 9:03 AM
      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
      > Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -
      >
      > So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
      > coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
      > read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
      > now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
      > than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
      > around?

      Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_ comes out
      on Touch & Go the first week in June. So far, it's my favorite record
      released this year (I haven't heard the new Alejandro yet) mixing the
      boys' concise rock with some keyboards and Kelly Hogan's gorgeous
      singing. (She takes lead vocals on one song and does backup on much
      of the disc.)

      Silkworm gradually migrated to Chicago over the past few years,
      starting when Andy Cohen went to law school. I think Tim Midgett
      works for Shure. I selfishly love the move because it means they're
      much closer to -- and more likely to play in -- Pittsburgh.

      Carl
    • Dan Rigney
      Message 2 of 26 , May 19 9:41 AM
        OK_

        I've seen Silkworm come up in several places now as a name, but have heard nothing. I'm curious. Where's a good place to sample 'em?

        Dan "if you hear about something three times from three different unrelated sources, check it out" Rigney

        At 04:03 PM 5/19/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
        > Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -
        >
        > So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
        > coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
        > read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
        > now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
        > than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
        > around?

        Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_ comes out
        on Touch & Go the first week in June.  So far, it's my favorite record
        released this year (I haven't heard the new Alejandro yet) mixing the
        boys' concise rock with some keyboards and Kelly Hogan's gorgeous
        singing.  (She takes lead vocals on one song and does backup on much
        of the disc.)

        Silkworm gradually migrated to Chicago over the past few years,
        starting when Andy Cohen went to law school.  I think Tim Midgett
        works for Shure.  I selfishly love the move because it means they're
        much closer to -- and more likely to play in -- Pittsburgh.

        Carl

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        9c13ab.jpg
        9c147e.jpg

      • Lance Davis
        Message 3 of 26 , May 19 9:49 AM
          Good luck Dan. I tried Googling but only came up with MP3s for
          Silkworm's side project with Steve Milkmoose, the Crust
          Brothers. That's alright, but not very representative.

          As for starting points, YMMV, but I think Libertine's the high
          water mark for the Joel Phelps era - and still my favorite SKWM
          record. Three good-to-great songwriters finally hitting their
          stride, a very spacious and deep recording (courtesy of Steve
          Albini, who knows about such things), and phat ol' guitars. I
          don't know what other people call this kind of music - emo,
          maybe? - but Television, Thin White Rope, Joy Division and a
          bunch of square-jawed Krautrockers seem to be the obvious
          touchstones.

          Of the post-Phelps records I think Firewater has the
          widest-ranging collection of songs, but Developer and Lifestyle
          are both well-worth checking out. Then's there's the comps,
          which should NOT be your starting point.

          Hope some of this helps. Lance

          --- Dan Rigney <rigney@...> wrote:
          > OK_
          >
          > I've seen Silkworm come up in several places now as a name,
          > but have heard
          > nothing. I'm curious. Where's a good place to sample 'em?
          >
          > Dan "if you hear about something three times from three
          > different unrelated
          > sources, check it out" Rigney
          >
          > At 04:03 PM 5/19/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          > >--- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
          > > > Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -
          > > >
          > > > So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this
          > sucker
          > > > coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought
          > > > read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said
          > they were
          > > > now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated
          > there
          > > > than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs
          > floating
          > > > around?
          > >
          > >Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_
          > comes out
          > >on Touch & Go the first week in June. So far, it's my
          > favorite record
          > >released this year (I haven't heard the new Alejandro yet)
          > mixing the
          > >boys' concise rock with some keyboards and Kelly Hogan's
          > gorgeous
          > >singing. (She takes lead vocals on one song and does backup
          > on much
          > >of the disc.)
          > >
          > >Silkworm gradually migrated to Chicago over the past few
          > years,
          > >starting when Andy Cohen went to law school. I think Tim
          > Midgett
          > >works for Shure. I selfishly love the move because it means
          > they're
          > >much closer to -- and more likely to play in -- Pittsburgh.
          > >
          > >Carl

          LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
          http://launch.yahoo.com
        • lmerlin01
          Message 4 of 26 , May 19 12:33 PM

            > Yep, all of the above. News-wise, I don't know if Joel has anything
            > coming out -- last I heard he had moved to Vancouver and was going
            > get married.

            That's what I hear too. I'm bummed because I really thought I would
            be able to see him now that I'm in Seattle.I'm the only one out of
            the P2 contingency who like him though (they equate Joel with the
            sound a cat makes when you step on it's tail <grin>).

            I haven't even heard any Silkworm yet.What should I start with (if I
            ever get any money)

            KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
            > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night)

            She is out in Seattle too but hasn't played yet. What's going on
            here?!

            We are going to see the Knitters tonight.This woman Jesse Skyes is
            backing them up.You guys may like her, she's a mopey twanger,lots of
            strings on the record. I like her.

            Lisa
          • wfsilvers
            Message 5 of 26 , May 19 1:08 PM
              "czimring" wrote:

              > KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
              > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night) the same weekend as
              > Twangfest

              It's a shame you'll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh
              occasionally, doesn't she?
              Anyhow, I'm jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did "Allison" from
              that upcoming Stiff tribute record?

              b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for Vulgar
              Boatmen spin-offs( and so many people ask me!<g>), but who thinks the
              MJ's are OK too
            • czimring
              Message 6 of 26 , May 19 2:35 PM
                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
                > I haven't even heard any Silkworm yet.What should I start with (if I
                > ever get any money)

                There's that money thing. I love Silkworm and I love Joel Phelps, but
                I think they've made their best music away from each other. If you
                want to hear their best stuff with Joel, I agree that _Libertine_ is
                the high point of that incarnation of the band, though the Matador
                compilation _Even a Blind Chicken_ collects a lot of good material.
                I'd start with the first trio record _Firewater_ (especially if you
                like drinking songs -- gotta get the "whiskey" content in for this
                list!), but any of the subsequent records save _Developer_ are fine
                places to start. The new one is splendid; if you want to wait a
                couple of weeks and dig Kelly Hogan, that would make an excellent
                introduction.

                I don't remember if they have any mp3's at the official band website,
                but maybe Touch & Go or www.12xu.net (their UK label) have something.

                > KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                > > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night)
                >
                > She is out in Seattle too but hasn't played yet. What's going on
                > here?!

                She comes to town at least once a year. Don't know if a new record is
                in the works or if she's just doing a tour to tour.

                > We are going to see the Knitters tonight.This woman Jesse Skyes is
                > backing them up.You guys may like her, she's a mopey twanger,lots of
                > strings on the record. I like her.

                I haven't heard this yet but will check to see if we have it in at the
                station. Is she from Seattle?

                Carl
              • czimring
                Message 7 of 26 , May 19 2:35 PM
                  About Ms. Hersh "wfsilvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                  > It's a shame you'll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh
                  > occasionally, doesn't she?

                  About once a year, so I'm not slitting my wrists over missing this
                  one. Pittsburgh's a funny town -- we can go weeks with few good shows
                  and then there's a cluster of can't-miss shows. I left town for a
                  week in 1998 and managed to miss very-rare appearances by Paul Kelly
                  and Pere Ubu. Kelly finally came back last month but I'm still
                  waiting on Ubu. I'll miss KH this time, but luckily Alejandro
                  Escovedo plays a free oudoor show the following Tuesday.

                  > Anyhow, I'm jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did "Allison" from
                  > that upcoming Stiff tribute record?

                  They did not, but Janas unveiled a few new songs, some of which sound
                  like she's been listening to gospel. Good stuff, I hope they make it
                  to a CD comes out before too long.

                  > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for Vulgar
                  > Boatmen spin-offs( and so many people ask me!<g>), but who thinks the
                  > MJ's are OK too

                  Did they put a record out last year, Bill? If you bring in the Silos,
                  that's quite a fertile family tree.

                  Carl
                • Patrick Randerson
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 19 6:39 PM
                    It's been so long since I've had an earful of fear and whiskey!
                    Though when I saw the group name, I thought it was fernwhiskey -- some
                    group about making pre-cambrian alcohol or a bunch of washington state
                    hippies.

                    Anyhow, I'll argue that Firewater is probably the best Silkworm record,
                    but I have a hard time picking between the foursome-era Libertine and In
                    the West. In the West is rough and raw, and there's some really great
                    tracks on it.
                    Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
                    into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

                    Here's hoping that the new one smacks me in the face like In the West did.

                    I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
                    of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
                    long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
                    new one worth it?

                    I've yet to find any radio in Columbus, OH that gives me my new music fix,
                    so I'm stuck with recommendations + Audiogalaxy to tell me what to buy.
                  • Rob Jefferson
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 20 6:55 AM
                      On Sun, 19 May 2002, Patrick Randerson wrote:

                      > Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
                      > into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

                      I really couldn't get into Developer. It was an okay album, but a bit of
                      a letdown, since there wasn't much that stood out (except, perhaps, for
                      "Ice Station Zebra"). I didn't mind Blueblood too much -- true, it wasn't
                      a great album, but it had its share of moments, even if occasionally they
                      sounded downright bored. Aside from "Treat the New Guy Right" and the
                      Faces cover, I wasn't too keen on Lifestyle. Just seemed...rather
                      mediocre for them.

                      > I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
                      > of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
                      > long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
                      > new one worth it?

                      There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.
                      Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
                      her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky Motel.
                      Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable -- but
                      that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with it. I
                      still say to pick it up, though.

                      And...err...hi, Patrick. Long time no see. :)

                      rob
                    • Patrick Randerson
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 20 6:59 AM
                        > There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.

                        Apparently not. Shows how much I pay attention to anything these days. I
                        saw Sunny Border Blue in the store, read some reviews online, and never
                        bothered to look at the release date. So yeah, that was a long time ago --
                        I need to get out of the lab and into the record store more often.

                        I'll just sit down and be quiet...
                      • czimring
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 20 10:16 AM
                          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Rob Jefferson <jeffer@t...> wrote:
                          > Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
                          > her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky
                          Motel.
                          > Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable
                          -- but
                          > that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with
                          it. I
                          > still say to pick it up, though.

                          It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
                          _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
                          than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
                          striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
                          Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
                          haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

                          Carl
                        • Laura A. Watt
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 20 10:22 AM
                            It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
                            _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
                            than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
                            striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
                            Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
                            haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

                            She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!

                            laura
                          • czimring
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 20 10:30 AM
                              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                              > She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!
                              >
                              > laura

                              Really? Who's in the band? I eagerly await this one...

                              Carl
                            • Laura A. Watt
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 20 10:48 AM
                                Same band, I'm pretty sure -- I've not been following the latest
                                news, but I'm sure there's plenty of info on the website,
                                http://www.throwingmusic.com

                                The new Works in Progress is up and waiting to be subscribed to, too
                                -- there have been three songs so far, two of which she more or less
                                said "this is when i knew it was going to have to be a Muses
                                record"...

                                full of incomplete information,
                                laura
                              • czimring
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 20 10:57 AM
                                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                  > full of incomplete information,
                                  > laura

                                  Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                                  that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and they
                                  aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo set
                                  at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                                  Carl
                                • wfsilvers
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 20 1:48 PM
                                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> replied to my MoL :

                                    > > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for
                                    Vulgar Boatmen spin-offs

                                    > Did they put a record out last year, Bill?

                                    Yup, October 23rd (if the AMG is to be believed). It's called DISTANT
                                    RELATIVE and it's self-released, which is probably why it flew way
                                    under my radar till this spring (and even then I kept forgetting about
                                    it...I've finally got a copy on order, and I'll report back once i've
                                    heard it). The MoL website appears to be down
                                    ( members.aol.com/autobeatnik/ )
                                    which might have a little something to do with the massive buzz the
                                    record isn't getting.

                                    > If you bring in the Silos, that's quite a fertile family tree.

                                    Yeah, though The Silos are sort of the older brother of the Boatmen,
                                    which makes them an uncle to MoL, unless they're an aunt...I'm getting
                                    all confused now. If you bring MoL's Antenna mom into it, and the
                                    Blake Babies grandma (or is it aunt?), well, I'm getting all confused.
                                    <g>

                                    b.s.
                                  • lmerlin01
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 20 10:40 PM
                                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

                                      > Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                                      > that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and
                                      they
                                      > aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo
                                      set
                                      > at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                                      Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                      Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                      about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                      one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                      so I can play it now?

                                      Carl asked about Jesse Sykes. Yes, she's from Seattle and plays with
                                      a band called the Sweet Hereafter with her boyfriend Phil, the
                                      grumpy one who played with Whiskeytown <g>. I really like most of
                                      the record, very melodic, sad, although her voice won't be for
                                      everyone. Check, check , check it out!

                                      Lisa
                                    • Laura A Watt
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 21 7:29 AM
                                        Lisa wrote:

                                        >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                        >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                        >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                        >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                        >so I can play it now?

                                        It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                                        called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                                        it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                                        fan ever since.

                                        A massive poll was recently done via the TM website to determine
                                        folks' favorite songs, which I believe Billy is going to use in part
                                        to great a "greatest hits" sort of thing at some point -- to see the
                                        poll results, go to

                                        http://www.solace.net/musings/BestMusesSongs.htm

                                        I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                                        in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                                        completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                                        others in the next ten.

                                        waking up to hooks in my head,
                                        laura
                                      • czimring
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 21 2:17 PM
                                          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Laura A Watt <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                          > Lisa wrote:
                                          >
                                          > >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                          > >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                          > >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                          > >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                          > >so I can play it now?
                                          >
                                          > It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                                          > called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                                          > it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                                          > fan ever since.

                                          And if you can't track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch
                                          of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago.

                                          [poll]
                                          > I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                                          > in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                                          > completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                                          > others in the next ten.

                                          I dig "Hate My Way", but am *shocked* that "Call Me" didn't even make
                                          the cut! (Both of those songs are on _Throwing Muses_ and are among
                                          my favorite songs of the 1980s.)

                                          Carl Z.*

                                          *By way of a welcome to Carl Wilson on this list (our first
                                          Canadian!), I shall now add an initial to differentiate our posts.