Clip: Cleveland hosts Kiss protest

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2006

      Kiss fans rally to get their band in Rock Hall
      Sunday, August 06, 2006
      Molly Kavanaugh
      Plain Dealer Reporter

      Wearing black T-shirts and painted white faces, Kiss fans rallying in
      front of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum on Saturday say the
      issue is black and white.

      "We're not going to settle for a nomination. We want an induction,"
      said Kim Rolfe, from Kitchener, Ontario, who has seen the rock band
      perform more than 40 times.

      About 200 fans, some from as far away as California, converged on the
      museum plaza carrying Kiss flags and yelling "We want Kiss." (No one
      expected the band members to show up; they just finished a Japanese

      The popular rock band, known for its sound-effect shows, painted white
      faces and plethora of merchandise, has been performing since the
      1970s. The band became eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame in
      the late 1990s.

      The rally grew out of frustration, said Detroit fan Paul Carpenter.
      Kiss fans have been sending letters, e-mail and petitions to the Hall
      of Fame Foundation for years, but all they ever get back is a form
      letter, he said.

      So a year ago Carpenter put out a call for a rally in Cleveland. The
      foundation, based in New York City, will meet next month to nominate

      This is the first time fans have rallied at the museum's front door,
      said a museum spokesman.

      "We love it. It shows they're involved and they care," said Todd
      Mesek, watching the devoted but rather calm crowd. "These fans are
      passionate enough to come to the mecca and to stand up for their

      Kevin Scheller drove seven hours with his wife and four children.
      "Kiss puts on the most entertaining shows," said the West Virginia
      father, carrying one of his children down East Ninth Street to the

      Three teenagers from Michigan have never seen Kiss perform, but they
      have gone to Kiss expos. "My mom made this for me," said 17-year-old
      Josh Smith, wearing a costume like the ones Kiss members wear.

      His mom also helps the boys with their makeup.

      Before and after the rally, the crowd gathered at Voinovich Park,
      where vendors sold lunch boxes, ashtrays, flying discs and other Kiss