RIP Syd Barrett

  • marlowe5
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2006
      Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd, dies
      By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Writer

      Syd Barrett, the troubled genius who co-founded Pink Floyd but spent his last years in reclusive anonymity, has died, a spokeswoman for the band said Tuesday. He was 60.

      The spokeswoman — who declined to give her name until the band made an official announcement — confirmed media reports that he had died. She said Barrett died several days ago, but she did not disclose the cause of death. Barrett had suffered from diabetes for many years.

      Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 with David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Rick Wright, and wrote many of the band's early songs. The group's jazz-infused rock made them darlings of the London psychedelic scene, and the 1967 album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" — largely written by Barrett, who also played guitar — was a commercial and critical hit.

      However, Barrett suffered from mental instability, exacerbated by his use of LSD. His behavior grew increasingly erratic, and he left the group in 1968 — five years before the release of Pink Floyd's most popular album, "Dark Side of the Moon." He was replaced by David Gilmour.

      Barrett released two solo albums — "The Madcap Laughs" and "Barrett" — but soon withdrew from the music business altogether.

      He spent much of the rest of his life living quietly in his hometown of Cambridge, England, where he was a familiar figure, often seen cycling or walking to the corner store.

      Despite his brief career, Barrett's fragile, wistful songs influenced many musicians, from David Bowie — who covered the Barrett track "See Emily Play" — to the other members of Pink Floyd, who recorded the album "Wish You Were Here" as a tribute to their troubled bandmate.

      The band spokeswoman said a small, private funeral would be held.

      "If there was no New Orleans, America would just be a bunch of free people dying of boredom." --- Judy Deck
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2006
        Syd Barrett's responsible, both directly and as an influence, for a lot of
        the music I have loved over the years, and I listened to him as much as
        anyone when I was 14. His rapid decline in his early 20s and subsequent
        reclusiveness (down to the weight gain and diabetes) mirrors people I have
        known and I just hope his last years were peaceful and as comfortable for
        him and his family as was possible.

        Time to crank up "Interstellar Overdrive" to remember him at the peak of his
        powers.

        Carl Z.