Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on July 06, 2006

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2006
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on July 06, 2006
      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Margie Joseph - It's Growing - Atlantic Unearthed: Soul Sisters -
      Atlantic / Rhino*
      [ This song co-written by Smokey Robinson & Warren Moore was
      recorded in 1972 by Margie Joseph and was previously unissued until
      its appearance on this new collection of Atlantic soul rarities that
      was just recently released. ]

      Otis Redding - That's How Strong My Love Is - Otis!: The Definitive
      Otis Redding - Rhino
      [ There's just no way to go wrong with this song. There are a
      lot of really good versions of this song out there but Otis Redding's
      is certainly one of the best. If you like this then you should
      definitely seek out the O.V. Wright version. ]

      Eddie & Ernie - Time Waits For No One - Birth Of Soul - Vol. 2 -
      Kent
      [ Eddie & Ernie were a soul duo based out of Phoenix (not what
      one considers a hotbed of soul) in the mid 60s to early 70s. They
      have a really good anthology called "Lost Friends" which covers most
      of their recorded output but this song is not on it, for some reason.
      Anyway, it's a track featuring really great harmonies and I got it
      off this compilation which is the second of three volumes. ]

      Shirley Scott - Soul Shoutin' - Mod Jazz - Kent
      [ This provided the backing track for a competent weather
      forecast which seemed to only be lacking one thing... a weather
      team. I don't want to jinx things but it's looking like the
      financial backing is finally falling into place to make M2M the place
      to be to hear the most up-to-date, well-researched weather forecasts.
      Meanwhile, look for Jim Klenn's (Mystery Train / Fridays 6-8 AM) name
      to be appearing soon on www.monster.com. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Darondo - Let My People Go - Let My People Go - Luv N' Haight
      [ The best soul reissue of the year - not that many people heard
      his music the first time around. This San Francisco artist only
      released three official singles in the early seventies. This
      compilation does include three more tracks that were previously
      unissued. ]

      Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove - One Nation Under A
      Groove - Priority
      [ "Do you promise to funk?" ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Jacques Dutronc - Les Cactus - Jacques Dutronc - Camden
      [ I chose to let the lyrics stand on their own on this one. ]

      Roky Erickson - You're Gonna Miss Me - I Have Always Been Here
      Before - Shout Factory
      [ Garage rock meets soul meets jug band. Don't miss seeing the
      documentary about Roky Erickson called "You're Gonna Miss Me" when
      you have a chance. No DVD release date that I can find, as of yet. ]

      Freddie Scott - Are You Lonely For Me Baby - Cry To Me: The Best Of
      Freddie Scott - Columbia
      [ This terrific Bert Berns song features an equally terrific &
      impassioned vocal from Freddie Scott. This collection features twenty
      songs recorded for the New York Shout label during the period of 1966-
      68. ]

      Bobby Peterson Quintet - The Hunch - Great R & B Instrumentals -
      Ace

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Millie Jackson - (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right -
      Caught Up - Southbound
      [ Wow....this is why I love KDHX. Where else in St. Louis can
      you hear the entire eleven minute version of Millie Jackson's jaw-
      dropping version of the Luther Ingram song (including the six-minute
      rap in the middle) on the radio? Just an aside, the remastered
      version of this put out by Southbound sounds absolutely amazing. ]

      Millie Jackson - The Rap - Caught Up - Southbound

      Millie Jackson - (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right
      (Reprise) - Caught Up - Southbound

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Delgados - Pull The Wires From The Wall - The Complete BBC Peel
      Sessions - Chemikal Underground*
      [ I got a call from some guys on a construction site saying they
      were really liking the show but that this song was falling into John
      Sebastian territory. Huh? Ok, I guess I did shift gears a bit. Or
      more than a bit. But, c'mon, this album is a thing of beauty. This
      was recorded live in 1997. ]

      The Delgados - Parcel Of Rogues - The Complete BBC Peel Sessions -
      Chemikal Underground*
      [ Recorded live in 2003. Words by Robert Burns. Construction
      sites all around St. Louis burst into pandemonium. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Wondermints - Guess I'm Dumb - The Wonderful World Of
      Wondermints - Toy Factory
      [ Obscure Beach Boys cover written by Brian Wilson & Russ
      Titelman. Bands never seem to pick the Mike Love songs. ]

      Waterloo - Out In The Lawn - Out Of The Woods - Undertow*
      [ Waterloo just released this new CD on Undertow Records on June
      26. Available at a fine record store near you. Or
      http://www.undertowstore.com/waterloo.php ]

      Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs - Sunday Morning - Under The Covers -
      Vol. 1 - Shout Factory*
      [ Nice version of the Velvet Underground song written by Lou
      Reed & John Cale. ]

      Alejandro Escovedo - Sacramento & Polk - The Boxing Mirror - Back
      Porch*
      [ Alejandro Escovedo is finally making a long-awaited return to
      St. Louis at the Blueberry Hill Duck Room next month on Thursday
      (8/17). This new album was produced by John Cale. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Matt The Electrician - $100 Bill - Big Sweet Life: The Songs Of Jon
      Dee Graham - Freedom
      [ Opening for Bob Schneider at the Blueberry Hill Duck Room this
      Saturday (7/8). Please note that this CD/DVD set features a whole
      host of different Austin artists doing Jon Dee Graham songs to
      benefit his son (Willie Graham) who has developed Legg Perthes. Go
      to http://www.texasmusicroundup.com/rufreedom.html to learn more.
      It's for a great cause. ]

      Dave Alvin - On My Way Downtown - A Case For Case - Hungry For
      Music*
      [ Appearing at Off Broadway on Wednesday (7/19). ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Wandering Eyes - Me & Mr. Jones - The Wandering Eyes Sing Songs
      Of Forbidden Love - Lazy S.O.B. Records
      [ This features Kelly Willis on lead vocals. Austin meets Philly
      Soul. ]

      Ann Peebles - Breaking Up Somebody's Home - If Loving You Is
      Wrong: 20 Cheatin' Heartbreakers - Kent
      [ Bear Family should put out a 10-CD set of cheating soul songs.
      And this one better be on it. Hey, they put out a five-CD, one-DVD
      nuclear era / atomic age song box set...it could happen. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Derailers - Jackpot - Jackpot - Watermelon
      [ Appearing tonight (Thursday - 7/6) at Off Broadway. Opening
      is Matt Poss. ]

      Patrice Holloway - Those DJ Shows - A Cellarful Of Motown - Vol.
      2 - Motown / Universal
      [ This is the sister of Brenda Holloway and she normally was on
      background vocals. But not on this Smokey Robinson-penned song which
      she recorded that languished in the Motown vaults until the release
      of this 2-CD collection in 2005. The quality of most of these
      unissued tracks and the realization that they were never released
      until 2005 is truly mind-boggling. ]

      Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys - Power Of The 45 - Turntable
      Matinee - Yep Roc*
      [ Appearing at Beale on Broadway in a couple of weeks (Friday
      7/28). This would really sound good on "Greaser's Lunchbox." ]

      The Sonics - Strychnine - Here Are The Sonics! - Norton

      The Eastern Dark - Johnny & Dee Dee - Do The Pop!: The Australian
      Garage Rock Sound 1978-87 - Shock
      [ 2-CD set - the title says it all...it's a great listen. And
      how can you not like this tribute to the Ramones? It's starts off
      with mellow acoustic guitar...for about five seconds. ]