Rapscallions and Reed (was Re: upcoming reissues)

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
      > <<VA Cool Blue Outlaws: Songs of Rogues, Rascals & Rapscallions
      > (Sugar Hill)>>
      > Carl, any idea what sorts of songs are going to be on this one?
      > Any album that incorporates the word "rapscallion" into its
      > title has to have something going for it <g>.

      Ya got me; perhaps a Sugar Hill employee might have the dirt on this
      one. Sounds like some killin' might be involved.

      > <<The Velvet Underground The Velvet Underground & Nico - Deluxe
      > Edition (two CDs) (Polydor)>>
      > This has milking the sacred cow written all over it, however,
      > given the album I'm curious. Is this one stereo CD and one mono
      > CD or are there leftover songs that have somehow escaped the
      > other 3 or 4 previously released collections?

      Lou Reed solo demos? Mono tapes of Mo Tucker coughing? How many
      recordings could they have possibly made?

      Carl "it's bound to be better than _Having Fun With Elvis Onstage_ or
      that Van Morrison disc of deliberately unreleasable crap -- though by
      how much I do not know" Z.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
        _24 Hour Party People_ is a film about the early Factory days in
        Manchester, so I imagine the soundtrack will have some vintage Buzzcocks,
        Magazine and Joy Division. The new version of the Who's debut album is
        allegedly leaps and bounds above any previous edition, as the master tapes
        are no longer part of a legal dispute that lasted 35 years.

        Carl Z.

        August 6

        Louis Armstrong Bluebird's Best: Sings & Swings (Bluebird)

        Booker T. & the MGs Essentials (Rhino)

        Clifford Brown & Max Roach At Basin Street (Verve)

        Rick Danko Best of (Arista)

        Bill Evans Alone (w/six bonus tracks) (Verve)

        Fairport Convention 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection (A&M)

        Lionel Hampton Bluebird's Best: Ring Dem Bells (Bluebird)

        Lena Horne Bluebird's Best: The Young Star (Bluebird)

        Microphones Song Islands (singles compilation w/Mirah and Calvin Johnson
        guesting) (K)

        DVD The Damned Final Damnation (Sanctuary/Castle)

        August 13

        Cannonball Adderley Cannonball Takes Charge (Blue Note)

        Ray Charles Essential Collection (Goldenlane)

        The Everly Bothers A Night at the Royal Albert Hall (Stardust)

        Rahsaan Roland Kirk Case of the 3-Sided Dream in Audio Color, Left and
        Right, Other Folk's Music, Prepare Thyself to Deal with a Miracle and
        Rahsaan, Rahsaan (Collectables)

        Last Poets Last Poets (Fuel 2000)

        Sam Moore Plenty Good Lovin?: The Lost Solo Album (2K)

        David "Fathead" Newman Comes On, House of David and Straight Ahead

        The Posies At Least, At Last (four-CD box set) (Not Lame)

        Elvis Presley Roots Revolution: The Louisiana Hayride Recordings (Tomato)

        Louis Prima The Wildest! (Capitol Jazz)

        The Three O'Clock Arrive Without Travelling/Ever After (two-fer
        w/track-by-track band commentary) (Collectors' Choice)

        Townes Van Zandt The Nashville Sessions and Townes Van Zandt (Tomato)

        August 20

        Black Sabbath Past Lives (from 1975 w/poster and guitar pick; two CDs)

        Dave Brubeck Quartet Jazz at the College of the Pacific, Volume Two

        John Coltrane Lush Life (Prestige)

        The Damned Damned, Damned, Damned and Music for Pleasure (Sanctuary/Castle)

        Miles Davis Filles de Killimanjaro, In a Silent Way, Water Babies
        (Columbia/Legacy), Streamin' (Prestige) and The Last Word: The Warner Bros.
        Years (four CDs) (Rhino/Warner Archives)

        Eric Dolphy Far Cry (New Jazz)

        Isaac Hayes Groove-a-thon (Fantasy)

        Jimi Hendrix Smash Hits (Hendrix)

        Motörhead Keep Us on the Road: Live 1977, Tear Ya Down: The Rarities (two
        CDs) (Sanctuary/Metal-Is)

        Tito Puente King of Kings (BMG Heritage)

        The Quintet (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Charles Mingus, Bud Powell
        and Max Roach) Jazz at Massey Hall (Debut)

        The Ramones End of the Century, Pleasant Dreams, Subterranean Jungle and
        Too Tough to Die (Warner Archives/Rhino)

        The Rolling Stones 12x5, Aftermath (U.S. and U.K. versions), Beggars
        Banquet, Between the Buttons (U.S. and U.K. versions), Big Hits (High Tide
        and Green Grass), December's Children (and Everybody's), England?s Newest
        Hitmakers, Flowers, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, Got Live If You Want It!, Hot
        Rocks 1964-1971 (two CDs), Let It Bleed, Metamorphosis (U.K. version), More
        Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies) (two CDs), Now!, Out of Our Heads
        (U.S. and U.K. versions), Singles Collection - The London Years (three
        CDs), Their Satanic Majesties Request and Through the Past, Darkly (Big
        Hits, Vol. 2) (ABKCO)

        Sonny Rollins Plus 4 (Prestige)

        Cecil Taylor, Gigi Gryce and Donald Byrd At Newport (Verve LP Reproductions)

        Joe Turner The Midnight Special (OJC/Pablo)

        McCoy Tyner The Greeting (OJC/Milestone)

        Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson and Cannonball Adderley Cleanhead and Cannonball

        Ben Webster Plays Duke Ellington (Storyville)

        OST 24 Hour Party People (ffrr)

        August 27

        Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin', Swingin' Machine, Wild Man on
        the Loose and The Word from Mose (Collectables)

        Johnny Cash Live at Madison Square Garden 1969, Silver, Sings Ballads of
        the True West and Songs of Our Soil (Columbia/Legacy)

        Bill Evans Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz (Jazz Alliance)

        Lightnin' Hopkins In the Key of Lightnin' (Tomato)

        Elmore James Dust My Broom (Tomato)

        Jason & the Scorchers Still Standing (EMI)

        Louis Jordan World Transcriptions (Storyville)

        Junior Kimbrough You Better Run: The Essential (Fat Possum)

        Mance Lipscomb Texas Country Blues (Arhoolie)

        Charles Mingus Mingus Moves (Collectables)

        Charlie Parker Bird After Dark (Savoy Jazz)

        Oscar Peterson Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz (Jazz Alliance)

        Thelonious Monk Live at Newport 1963 and 1965 (two CDs), Monk and Monk's
        Dream (Columbia/Legacy)

        The Who My Generation - Deluxe Edition (MCA)

        DVD Keith Richards & the Expensive Winos Live at the Hollywood Palladium

        DVD Audio R.E.M. Reveal (Warner Bros.)

        SACD John Coltrane A Love Supreme (Impulse!)

        SACD Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong Ella and Louie (Verve)

        SACD Muddy Waters Folk Singer (Chess)