Clip: Alejandro Escovedo's Joyous Rebirth

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2006

      Alejandro Escovedo's Joyous Rebirth

      Three years ago, Alejandro Escovedo almost died. His latest album The
      Boxing Mirror, charts his harrowing descent into illness, his slow
      recovery and the life-affirming love of music, family and friends that
      brought him back from the edge. "I'm not the same person I was. None
      of us are. But to have a near-death experience, you come out of it
      with new lines, you know?" Escovedo said. "It's almost like you come
      out of it as a new human being, a new person, a new spirit."

      Long a cult figure revered for his soulful blend of rock, country,
      jazz and Latin music, Escovedo got his start with the 1970s punk
      rockers The Nuns. Still, he is better known for his rootsier outfits —
      the early cowpunk band Rank and File, and the True Believers. By the
      early 1990s, Escovedo had started recording his eclectic solo albums:
      Gravity in 1992, Thirteen Years in 1994, With These Hands in 1996, the
      live More Miles Than Money two years later. Bourbonitis Blues followed
      in 1999, then A Man Under the Influence in 2001.

      Escovedo was performing his musical play In the Hands of the Father in
      Tempe, Arizona in April of 2003, as he had many times before since
      being diagnosed with hepatitis C in 1996. This time, though, he
      collapsed after the show, bleeding internally in three different
      places. After being hospitalized for over a week, Escovedo retreated
      to the Arizona desert with his wife and young daughter, where he began
      the slow process of recovery. A month later, in Texas, a doctor
      started him on interferon therapy, a standard treatment for hepatitis
      C, but one which, Escovedo says, again almost killed him. "I was
      supposed to be on interferon for about a year or a year and a half,"
      he said in a recent phone interview. "I only lasted six months because
      it began to kill me. I had another kind of near-death experience."

      So, weakened for the second time, he began to seek out natural
      healers, finding relief in Tibetan and Chinese medicines, acupuncture,
      meditation, yoga and abstinence. Slowly he began to heal, and when a
      coalition of friends and acquaintances put together the tribute album
      Por Vida to help defray medical expenses, he began, for the first time
      in months, to begin to think about making music again.

      "I didn't play guitar for about a year," he admitted. "The medicine
      puts you in a state... it's pretty shaky ground you're on. So
      psychologically and physically, I wasn't in that great of shape. It
      was really more about just trying to survive the disease. I still
      loved music, but I didn't really listen to it even."

      But the outpouring of support, through cards and letters and
      especially through Por Vida, gave Escovedo the strength to start
      again. "When Por Vida came out, I really got inspired to want to play
      again," he said. "I think it was during that time that I realized that
      I had a lot to write about, but I was kind of clogged up emotionally.
      It was almost as if there was too much to write about. I felt too
      much, you know? I kind of had to filter all that through.

      "I remember speaking to Chuck Prophet about this, because I just
      wasn't sure how I was going to approach it. And he agreed that it was
      a tough task to write about death, near death, survival — so I really
      didn't want to sound maudlin and I didn't want to sound like I had a
      lot of self-pity."

      A Boxing Mirror, out now on EMI's Back Porch imprint, is anything but
      self-pitying. Even its darkest moments — like the opener "Arizona" —
      are charged with a defiant joy, a triumphant celebration of simply
      being alive. Other tracks — the hard-rocking "Sacramento & Polk,"
      "Take Your Place" and the wonderful title cut — are varied in style
      and tempo, but seem full of irrepressible joy.

      "I think the songs, the more you listen to them, the more someone will
      hear that there's a lot of joy in these songs," Escovedo said. "It's
      about having gone through this experience and finding true love in
      this experience, and finding a lot of love from an extended family
      that taught me that my family is not about blood. It's about all of
      the people that I love and that love me. The respect we have for each
      other as a musical community."

      To make The Boxing Mirror, Escovedo enlisted the production assistance
      of John Cale, a longtime friend who was one of the first musicians to
      contribute a track to Por Vida. Cale and Escovedo had first met in New
      York in the 1970s, but they had grown closer over the years, as
      Escovedo contributed "Tugboat" to a tribute for Cale's fellow VU-alum
      Sterling Morrison. They had played SXSW together a couple of times, as

      Escovedo said Cale has been an influence for decades, dating back to
      his teenage years when friends would fight about The Beatles versus
      the Stones, and Escovedo would insist that the Velvet Underground were
      better than either. "I loved the Velvets. And everything that he did
      after that, all John's solo albums, all the Nico albums, the Jennifer
      Warnes records, The Stooges and Patti Smith, those were all very
      influential for me," he recalled. "I love his sense of orchestration
      and arrangement. I love the way that he developed this... kind of this
      folk style with avant-garde dissonance. So ... and I love his... he's
      fearless and that's a wonderful thing to possess when you're a
      musician and songwriter."

      Cale's influence is particularly strong, Escovedo explained, on cuts
      like "Looking for Love" and "Deerhead on the Wall." "'Looking for
      Love' particularly has been a very difficult one for us to play," he
      said. "We had never found the right groove or the right arrangement
      for it. We had done it in every single variation we could dream of,
      but none of them seemed to work." In the studio, with Cale's
      assistance, however, it finally clicked. "And then John comes in and
      totally nails it," Escovedo remembered. "He came up with an
      arrangement that sounds very much like him, in a way, and reminds me
      of the best of that kind of mid-1970s music that was coming out of
      Brian Eno, John Cale, Phil Manzanera, stuff like that."

      Escovedo assembled a great band for The Boxing Mirror from such
      long-time collaborators as drummer Hector Munoz, cellist Brian
      Standefer, Susan Voelz (Poi Dog Pondering) on violin and Jon Dee
      Graham on guitar. Of Munoz, perhaps the longest-standing member of
      Escovedo's band, he noted, "We have a relationship kind of like what
      Mingus and Danny Richman had. You know, we've talked a lot about
      drumming and I've forced him to do things that he didn't want to do.
      But in the end, it's really worked out and it's tailor-made for the
      music that I write." For this record, for instance, Escovedo insisted
      on no cymbals. "I think that cymbals have a sonic presence that eats
      up guitars, especially acoustic guitars. So I wanted the guitars to
      kind of jump out more," he said. "By taking away the cymbals, he's
      challenged to kind of reinvent himself. Almost to learn how to play
      the drums all over again."

      There were also some new faces, such as David Polkingham, a guitarist
      whose background was almost entirely in jazz and Latin music. "We've
      spent long, long nights of conversation, just talking about the whole
      attitude, the approach to rock 'n' roll guitar," Escovedo said. "But
      he's brilliant, you know. We just taped Austin City Limits for the
      first time on Monday night, and he just totally ruled it, completely."
      Mark Andes (ex of Spirit) plays bass and Bruce Salmon adds the
      Eno-esque keyboard lines and sampling.

      Behind the scenes, too, Escovedo had another important collaborator:
      his wife, the poet Kim Christoff, who contributed lyrics to several of
      the songs, including the title cut. In the past, Escovedo has simply
      gone through her notebooks, looking for words, phrases and images that
      he can incorporate into his songs. More lately, she has started
      bringing him poems specifically written for music. Escovedo said that
      working with his wife's lyrics has changed the way he approaches
      songwriting. "Her poetry is so free that at times it's difficult to
      fit into some kind of verse or chorus. But what's interesting is that
      it's made the songs... it's kind of broken down the walls of what a
      song should be. Now anything that I sing... If I just sing one stanza
      of her poetry, to me it's good enough to become a song, because her
      images are so strong," he said. "The Boxing Mirror," for instance,
      takes an image from Escovedo's childhood, training in the boxing gym
      with his father, and uses it as a metaphor for reflection that changes
      everything about what you're doing.

      The songs on The Boxing Mirror are typically varied in style, with
      ballads next to all-out rockers and mariachi flourishes abutting
      Eno-ish soundscapes. "I've been hearing lately that a lot of people
      tell me I'm kind of foolish for not sticking to one thing. You know,
      record-industry people think that I should try to write a hit song,"
      Escovedo admitted. But it sounds like that's not going to happen any
      time soon, given his diverse interests and influences. "When you go
      over to somebody's house and they have a great record collection, it's
      never just one thing," he added. "They have great jazz records and
      great classical records and great rock records and great garage rock
      records. Whatever it is. So that's what I always tell people. It's
      just a product of my great record collection that I have."

      And, in fact, since his days with the Nuns, Escovedo has sensed a link
      between great music from all genres. "The thing about punk rock for us
      was that we wanted to kind of pay homage to all the great people who
      were punks," he said. "Miles Davis was as much punk as Jerry Lee Lewis
      as Bob Marley as Joe Higgs as Burning Spear or whoever. The attitude
      was about spirit, the spirit to do it yourself and not to listen to
      other people. Not to be shaped by mass consumption. Just to go out and
      follow your heart. To sing the truth."

      Escovedo will be touring steadily this year in the U.S. and Europe,
      his wife and daughter in tow, trying to balance the requirements of
      his career with the health regimen that saved his life. "I take all my
      Tibetan medicine with me. I follow my practice every day, and try to
      go to bed earlier than I used to. Since I don't drink anymore, I have
      more energy. So it's all good. My band really looks out for me, and my
      manager," he said.

      Escovedo wouldn't have it any other way. "When I finally came out of
      it and wanted to play music, it made me really love music again, in a
      way that I hadn't in a long, long time," he said. "So now I really
      value the opportunity to play, and I value the opportunity to have
      such great friends and family. And to have found an even larger family
      in my life. It's really humbling, you know." — Jennifer Kelly
      [Tuesday, June 6, 2006]