Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on June 01, 2006

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2006
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on June 01, 2006

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Clara Ward - Dead End Street - Soul Gospel - Vol. 2 - Soul Jazz*
      [ The gospel vocals of Clara Ward were a huge influence on
      Aretha Franklin. This song was co-written by David Axelrod. This
      brand new release from Soul Jazz is the second volume in this series
      made up of gospel/soul songs recorded in the late 60s and 1970s. ]

      Carolyn Franklin - I Don't Want To Lose You - Sister Soul: The Best
      Of The RCA Years 1969-76 - Kent*
      [ This new compilation is made up of twenty-two RCA recordings
      by one of Aretha Franklin's lesser known sisters, Carolyn Franklin,
      between 1969-76. ]

      Bessie Banks - It Sounds Like My Baby - Go Girls With The Girls From
      Red Bird - Charly
      [ This compilation features thirty tracks put out by the NY-
      based Red Bird label and its subsidiary Blue Cat, Tiger, and Daisy
      labels. This was the b-side to the "Go Now" single released in
      1964. ]

      Ms. Tyree "Sugar" Jones - If You Feel It (Inst) - Eccentric Soul: :
      The Big Mack Label - The Numero Group*
      [ Yet another new soul compilation -- this one by the always
      reliable people at The Numero Group. Sad to say, I haven't really got
      to listen to this, yet, so the first airplay from this release was
      relegated to this instrumental track played in the background during
      the non-Weather Team reading of the weather. Expect to hear more from
      this look at this obscure Detroit soul label, Big Mack, in the
      following weeks to come. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Vicki Anderson - Don't Throw Your Love In The Garbage Can - Mother
      Popcorn: The Vicki Anderson Anthology - Soul Brother
      [ Vicki Anderson replaced Anna King in the James Brown Revue and
      was the main female singer for three years. Put this down as another
      installment in the continuing M2M effort to highlight some of the
      singers from the Raelettes and the James Brown Revue. Somebody's
      gotta do it. ]

      O' Jays - Shiftless, Shady, Jealous Kind Of People - Back Stabbers -
      Epic
      [ This has to go down as one of the very best 70s soul albums.
      Includes "Back Stabbers" and "Love Train" along with many more
      terrific songs. Like this one. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Dirtbombs - Underdog - Ultraglide In Black - In The Red
      [ Headlining the Duck Room as part of Twangfest on Thursday
      (June 8). Also on the bill are The Deadstring Brothers, Glossary, &
      The Transmitters. This is the first St. Louis appearance by this
      Detroit band. ]

      Scott Miller & The Commonwealth - Miracle Man - Thus Always To
      Tyrants - Sugar Hill
      [ Scott Miller & The Commonwealth will be appearing at the Duck
      Room as part of Twangfest on Saturday (June 10). Also on the bill are
      Mic Harrison (Scott Miller's former V-Roys bandmate), Lucero, & the
      non-hyphenated BR549. Fine cover version of this song which I heard
      for the first time by The Brogues on the first Nuggets box set. ]

      The Zombies - Care Of Cell 44 - Odessey & Oracle - Fuel 2000
      [ All the recent KDHX airplay of cover songs from the fine new
      Matthew Sweet / Susanna Hoffs album made me want to hear the original
      version, again. ]

      Cooley Arnez - Fever - Soul Cargo - Vol. 8 - Bar Records
      [ I'm not sure if this is really the correct name of the
      artist. The song is credited to "Cooley-Davenport" but the artist is
      listed as "Coley Arnez." Maybe it should be "Arnaz", for all I know.
      Never let it be said that the people at Bar Records over-analyze
      things in the detail department. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Pussycats - Dressed In Black - Where The Girls Are - Vol. 5 - Ace
      [ It's not The Shangri-Las but an incredible simulation. The
      Shangri-Las also do a version of this song and it was co-written by
      Shadow Morton. ]

      The Shangri-Las - I Can Never Go Home Anymore - Myrmidons Of
      Melodrama - RPM
      [ This song was also written by Shadow Morton. Spoken recitation
      & melodrama at its best. This Shangri-Las compilation couldn't be
      more highly recommended. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Neko Case - That Teenage Feeling - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood -
      Anti-*
      [ Another really strong song from one of my favorite 2006
      releases. The vocals of Neko Case and Rachel Flotard (Visqueen)
      sound great together on this. ]

      The Shangri-Las - Give Him A Great Big Kiss - Myrmidons Of Melodrama -
      RPM
      [ Truth be told, I forgot to remove this CD from the previous
      set while fielding phone calls & meant to play something else. Still,
      hard to have too much Shangri-Las. ]

      Malcom Middleton - Monday Night Nothing - In The Woods - Chemikal
      Underground
      [ A couple of censored words were required on this song. For
      almost any Malcom Middleton song off this album, actually. ]

      O.V. Wright - Eight Men Four Women - Giant Of Southern Soul -
      Connoisseur
      [ A listener called in and said he was blown away by this song.
      What a tremendous soul voice O.V. Wright had. Too bad he died early
      (41) due to the ravages of drug abuse. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner - Solitude Standing - A&M
      [ This is the a cappella version. Not the version later backed
      by DNA. Really sounds great with headphones. ]

      Randy Newman - Mama Told Me Not To Come - 12 Songs - Reprise
      [ Randy Newman's slower, less radio-friendly original recording
      fits the lyrics of the song so much better than the hit Three Dog
      Night had with it later on. This was Randy Newman's second album and
      was released in 1970. ]

      T-Bone Burnett - Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend - Twenty Twenty:
      The Essential T-Bone Burnett - Columbia/DMZ/Legacy*
      [ I noticed Bryan Hollerbach reviewed this recently in Playback
      STL. Sums it up nicely, I think. See http://makeashorterlink.com/?
      L2072533D
      At least, this track from The Trap Door EP finally made it to CD. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Glossary - Poor Boy - For What I Don't Become - Undertow*
      [ Appearing at the Duck Room as part of Twangfest on Thursday
      (June 8). Also on the bill are The Dirtbombs, The Deadstring Brothers
      & The Transmitters. ]

      The Sovines - This Day In History - Stupefyin' Jones - Oahu
      [ The Sovines (Columbus, OH) will be having a long-awaited
      reunion as part of Twangfest at the Duck Room on Friday (June 9).
      Also on the bill are Kevin Gordon (Nashville) and headlining are The
      Bottle Rockets for their CD release party. ]

      The Bottle Rockets - Floatway - Songs Of Sahm - Bloodshot
      [ The Bottle Rockets are headlining at Twangfest at the Duck
      Room on Friday (June 9) and having their CD release party for their
      latest album, Zoysia, which is being released on Bloodshot Records..
      Also on the bill are the Sovines (Columbus, OH) and Kevin Gordon
      (Nashville). ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Meat Purveyors - Little White Pills - For A Decade Of Sin: 11
      Years Of Bloodshot - Blue Rose
      [ The Meat Purveyors never fail to put on a hugely-entertaining
      live show. See them this Friday (June 2nd). Also on the bill are
      Pickin' Trix &
      Strawfoot. ]

      BR549 - After The Hurricane - Dog Days - Dualtone
      [ Really nice version of the Tim Carroll song. Scott Miller &
      The Commonwealth will be headlining at the Duck Room as part of
      Twangfest on Saturday (June 10). Also on the bill are Scott Miller &
      The Commonwealth, Lucero, & Mic Harrison. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Coulson, Dean McGuinness, & Flint - Lo And Behold - Lo And Behold -
      Air Mail Archive
      [ When this came out in 1972, it was the first time that most of
      the general public ever had a chance to hear these Bob Dylan songs
      which were unavailable commercially at the time. ]

      Willie Hightower - Walk A Mile In My Shoes - Willie Hightower -
      Honest Jon's
      [ Nice soulful take on the Joe South song. This version was
      recorded in 1969 at Fame Studios. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Johnny Cash - I Still Miss Someone (Live) - The Alternative Johnny
      Cash - Columbia
      [ This song was from a 12/05/69 live recording of a show done at
      Madison Square Garden. This is a promo CD issued in 2002 that
      contains five tracks previously unissued in the U.S. ]

      Rosanne Cash - House On The Lake - Black Cadillac - Capitol*
      [ A beautiful and moving album that ranks up there with her very
      best recordings. Highly recommended. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Calexico - Roka - Garden Ruin - Quarterstick*
      [ These two new releases by Calexico and The Drive-By Truckers
      were being snatched up in droves by KDHX listeners as premiums during
      the Pledge Drive several weeks back. ]

      Drive-By Truckers - Little Bonnie - A Blessing & A Curse - New West*

      Rolling Stones - Dear Doctor - Beggars Banquet - Abkco+
      [ Real early in the show I received a request for an early
      Stones song in honor of Charlie Watt's birthday. Of course, I forgot
      about it until the show was almost over. Hopefully, he was still
      tuned in and this song was early enough. ]