Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 04, 2006

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2006
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 04, 2006

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      - - -
      [ Thanks to everybody who pledged during week #1. If you didn't
      have a chance to pledge, you can take comfort in knowing that you
      have another chance to pledge next Thursday ( or any other day for
      that matter). Also, special thanks to the phone volunteers and to
      Steve and Cat Pick for helping me on-air. It is truly appreciated. ]

      Little Richard - Money Honey - Hail To The King! - Mojo*
      [ This was taken off a compilation that accompanied the May,
      2006 issue of Mojo Magazine. It's the one with Elvis on the cover.
      The song was originally recorded in 1964. I'm sure this is the first
      time in Pledge Drive history that somebody has opened up with a song
      that mentions money. ]

      Jerry Butler & Betty Everett - I Can't Stand It - The Vee-Jay
      British Hits - P-Vine*
      [ This song originally appeared on a Vee-Jay release in 1964
      called "Delicious Together." This compilation is really terrific from
      top to bottom. For some reason, these different Vee-Jay compilations
      but out by P-Vine (a Japanese label) have the lyrics all in English
      and all other pertinent liner notes in Japanese. ]

      Capitols - We Got A Thing That's In The Groove - We Got A Thing /
      Cool Jerk - Marginal
      [ This song lives up to it's title. I thought it would be nice
      to play something different than "Cool Jerk." Not that this song
      doesn't sound a lot like "Cool Jerk" but you get the added bonus of
      them singing "Do The Octopus" over and over at the end. ]

      Booker T. & The MGs - On A Saturday Night - Soul Men - Stax
      [ Instrumental version of the song written by Steve Cropper &
      Eddie Floyd. Music to put people in the pledging mood. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Albert Washington - Crazy Legs (Pt.2) - Super Funk - Vol. 4 1966-
      73 - BGP
      [ Thanks to Scott --a loyal listener -- for making me aware of
      this. How loyal? He came in & pledged in person & then later called
      in and upped his pledge. Instant party with this song. ]

      The Bamboos (feat. Alice Russell) - Step It Up - Step It Up -
      Ubiquity*
      [ Don't let this song fool you. Most of the tracks on this new
      release by the Australian band are instrumental funk & soul workouts.
      This first release features a UK soul singer named Alice Russell.
      I'm not sure what her own material sounds like but she sure sounds
      good on this leadoff track. ]

      Bar-Kays - A Hard Days Night - The Complete Stax-Volt Singles 1959-
      68 - Stax
      [ Another instrumental bed while Steve, Cat, and I were making
      impassioned pleas for Pledge Drive call-ins. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Darando - Let My People Go - Let My People Go - Luv N' Haight*
      [ Do yourself a favor and read David Cantwell's insightful
      review of this album in the latest edition of No Depression magazine
      (the one with Alejando Escovedo & Jon Dee Graham on the cover). ]

      Solomon Burke - Don't Give Up On Me (Live) - None of Us Are Free
      EP - Anti-
      [ This three-song EP includes this live track, the radio edit
      of "None Of Us Are Free", and a previously unissued song written By
      Dan Penn & Chuck Prophet called "I Need A Holiday." ]

      Jimmy McGriff - All About My Girl - Mojo Mod Club Party - Mojo
      [ Scientific studies have proven that the Hammond B-3 triggers
      neurons in the brain which stimulates the dialing motor impulse in
      human beings. I'm not going to argue with science. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs - I See The Rain - Under The Covers -
      Vol 1 - Shout Factory*
      [ The virtues of this record have been extolled many times in
      recent M2M play lists. This is a cover of a Marmalade song. ]

      Marmalade - Mess Around - le beat bespoke - Sanctuary
      [ Since I didn't really know what Marmalade sounded like when
      they recorded in the 60s & 70s, I figured I'd play something by
      them. Kind of a contrast & compare thing with the previous song.
      This particular song kind of sounds like something in The Animals
      vein. Really good track. Recorded in 1968. ]

      Daniele Luppi - Photochic - An Italian Story - Belmondo / Rhino
      [ Scientific studies have proven that having original Italian
      spaghetti-western soundtrack musicians coaxed out or retirement,
      reunited, and doing new compositions written in 2003 triggers neurons
      in the brain which stimulates the dialing motor impulse in human
      beings. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Neko Case - The Needle has Landed - Fox Confessor Brings the
      Flood - Anti-*
      [ Once again, another release that has already been lauded
      numerous times in recent M2M play lists. So far, one of the top two
      or three albums I've heard in 2006. ]

      Concretes - On The Radio - In Colour - Astralwerks*
      [ Some great indie-pop on this new release by the Swedish band.
      Beautiful harmonies (think Brian Wilson, Wondermints) and interesting
      instrumentation on this opening track. ]

      Funk Brothers - All For You - The Best Of The Funk Brothers -
      Motown
      [ Recorded in 1964. It's all about the groove. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Candi Staton - In The Ghetto - Candi Staton - Honest Jon's
      [ Sublime southern soul version of the song written by Mac
      Davis. ]

      Jenny Lewis with The Watson Twins - Handle With Care - Rabbit Fur
      Coat - Team Love*

      Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips - Family Conference - The Squid &
      The Whale OST - Ultra
      [ Not the feel good movie of the year but great acting
      performances all around. In addition to some really nice original
      compositions like this one, the soundtrack also features artists such
      as Lou Reed, Loudon Wainwright III, Kate & Anna McGarrigle, & The
      Feelies. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Jon Dee Graham - Remain - Full - Freedom*
      [ I keep coming back to this album. Some really affecting
      ballads like this; in addition to some really good rocking tracks. ]

      Alejandro Escovedo - Break This Time - The Boxing Mirror - Back
      Porch
      [ Think of this track as the new album's "Castanets."
      Immediately accessible, rocking, and just jumps out at you. Lots of
      the album is more layered & moody but you will be rewarded the more
      you listen to it. Produced by John Cale. ]

      Calexico - Close Behind - Feast Of Wire - Quarterstick

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Neil Young - Let's Impeach The President - Living with War -
      Reprise / WEA+*
      [ Somebody who pledged made a request for some Neil Young. This
      is officially released in stores on Tuesday (May 9). It's about
      time. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Walkmen - There Goes My Baby - Stubbs The Zombie - The Soundtrack -
      Shout Factory / Aspyr
      [ Really fine indie-rock version of the Drifters song. ]

      The Blasters - No Other Girl - The Blasters Collection - Slash
      [ The pride of Downey, California. ]

      The Blasters - Marie Marie - The Blasters Collection - Slash
      [ Why two back to back songs by the Blasters? I meant to play
      this one as a dedication and hit the wrong track number on the
      previous song. Can't have too much Blasters, though. Plus, the two
      songs together total about four minutes. ]

      Bobby Fuller Four - Thunder Reef - I Fought The Law / KRLA: King Of
      The Wheels - Del-Fi

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Mandy Barnett - Funny, Familiar, Forgotten Feelings - I've Got A
      Right To Cry - Sire
      [ This is where listeners stumbled into the "terrific female
      vocalist renditions of Mickey Newbury songs" portion of the show. ]

      Bettye Lavette - What Condition My Condition Is In - Dirty Laundry:
      The Soul Of Black Country - Trikont

      The Sheppards - Elevator Operator - The Vee-Jay R&B Rarities -
      Deeper - P-Vine*
      [ The Sheppards were based in Chicago and combined some elements
      of doo wop with blues, rock, and pop. This song clocks in at 1:37 &
      is a raver. ]

      Easybeats - Women Make You Feel Alright - Gonna Have A Good Time -
      Retroactive