RIP Grant McLennan

    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2006
      Very sad news. Arguably the recent Go-Betweens records were the best
      they've done. Oceans Apart was marvellous, one of the best records I
      heard last year.

      <http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/06-05/05.shtml>

      The Go-Betweens' Grant McLennan Dead at 48

      Scott Plagenhoef reports:
      Grant McLennan, co-leader of the Australian band the Go-Betweens, died
      Saturday, May 6, in Brisbane at the age of 48. McLennan passed away in
      his sleep; the cause of death is not yet known.

      McLennan, along with Robert Forster, formed the Go-Betweens in 1977
      around a shared love of 1960s pop, folk-rock, Television, and the
      Velvet Underground. The group released six albums of jangly,
      intelligent, incisive music and a handful of classic singles on
      Postcard, Rough Trade, Beggars Banquet, and Sire before disbanding in
      1989 after years of deserved critical success but public indifference.
      In the 90s, McLennan released four solo albums and paired with the
      Church's Steve Kilbey as Jack Frost. Following a performance at the
      behest of French rock magazine Les Inrockuptibles, McLennan and
      Forster re-teamed as the Go-Betweens at the start of this decade and
      recorded three studio albums, including 2005's vastly underrated
      Oceans Apart.

      Throughout the 80s, the Go-Betweens seemed poised to gain the success
      enjoyed by likeminded groups such as the Smiths and R.E.M., but
      despite relocating to London and releasing a string of extraordinary
      singles, the charts remained just out of their grasp.

      McLennan was often considered to be the more pop-oriented half of the
      Go-Betweens' songwriting team, but his work is also often tinged with
      sadness and melancholy, most notably "Cattle and Cane", a haunting
      rumination on aging and memory, and "Dusty in Here", written for his
      late father.

      McLennan also excelled at marrying breezy melodies to world-weary,
      evocative words, crafting cerebral tracks that exuded a delicate
      warmth and depth of humanity rare in three-minute pop songs. The best
      examples of which are "Bye Bye Pride", "Bachelor Kisses", "Right
      Here", and "Streets of Your Town". Among other compositions for which
      McLennan will be most fondly remembered are the Go-Betweens' "That
      Way", "The Wrong Road", "Dive for Your Memory", "Love Is a Sign", and
      "Finding You", and solo tracks "Put You Down" and "Simone & Perry".

      Pitchfork wishes to extend its thoughts to McLennan's friends and family.
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2006
        Ugh. I hadn't heard about this. :(

        I've gotten to work with Grant over at Yep Roc, including a trip last year
        with them to NYC where he introduced me to my favorite bar in the city, the
        Hi-Fi. I was just there last weekend and I was thinking of him. They have
        nine Go-Betweens albums on the jukebox there. Obviously, the owner is a big
        fan too.

        Much much too young...

        steve
      • Dave Purcell
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2006
          Carl Z wrote:

          <<Very sad news. Arguably the recent Go-Betweens records were the best
          they've done. Oceans Apart was marvellous, one of the best records I
          heard last year.>>

          Very sad news, indeed. Oceans Apart got me interested in them again and
          I've been playing them a lot lately.

          Interesting post, Steve -- glad to hear he was a good guy.

          dp