Re: [fearnwhiskey] Ernest Dawkins' New Horizons Ensemble?

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
      A house concert? Nice. Given his work with Henry Threadgill, I bet
      he'll be bopping and noisy. I think Jeff Parker (of Tortoise) plays
      electric guitar in this band, unless this concert is acoustic.

      Carl Z.

      On 4/26/06, Dave Purcell <dap@...> wrote:
      > Since Chicago jazz comes up here on occasion -- has anyone seen (or know
      > much about) Ernest Dawkins' New Horizons Ensemble? I'm going to see him
      > at a house concert on Saturday and am pretty geeked.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > dp
      > np: Tom Verlaine - Songs & Other Things -- just downloaded from Emusic
      > this morning...so far, so good

      > ________________________________

    • Dave Purcell
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
        Yeah, it's a local jazz fan who hosts shows in his apartment. I just
        recently learned about it even though he's apparently been doing it for
        15 years. Check it out:

        http://www.loftsociety.com/

        dp

        Message 3 of 5 , May 1 6:34 AM
          As I mentioned earlier in the week, I caught Ernest Dawkins' New
          Horizons Ensemble at a house concert on Saturday.

          Holy f*cking cow. Best jazz show I've ever seen. One of the best shows
          I've seen, period.

          Despite driving 13+ hours from Boston to Cincinnati -- they got in about
          five minutes before showtime -- they played two long sets with
          incredible intensity and energy. As Carl predicted, they swung hard and
          blew free often, but not to the point of atonality -- comparable perhaps
          to mid-60s Coltrane but never into harder Ornette Coleman turf.

          The quartet was Dawkins on alto, tenor, and percussion, Steve Berry on
          trombone, Darius Savage on bass, and Isiah Spencer on drums. It's the
          same lineup from Dawkins' last release, "Mean Ameen," minus trumpeter
          Maurice Brown. All four are serious heavyweights, but Spencer almost
          stole the show -- his drumming is explosive but melodic, and he played
          with a huge grin on his face almost the entire night while following
          Dawkins thru some (occasionally) serious improv.

          The venue is incredible too -- it's an apartment in Cincinnati's
          university district (Paul -- it's on Calhoun by Myra's and Mole's
          Records) where this hardcore jazz fan hosts shows about once a month.
          The acoustics are amazing and the vibe is perfect -- dim lighting and
          the walls are covered with a lifelong collection of posters, postcards,
          news clippings, etc. Miles & Coltrane share the walls Michael Jordan and
          Dr. J. It's BYOB, home cooked food is provided. Just an unbelievable
          night of music & community.

          Definitely catch Dawkins' group if he's near you. And check out
          www.loftsociety.com if you're up for a roadtrip. The next show is the
          Andrew Lamb trio on May 20.

          Cheers,
          dp