Bill Withers / Swamp Dogg (was Playlist for Memphis to Manchester )

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2006
      Hello Carl,

      Yes, "I Can't Write Left-Handed" is on the first volume. It's
      actually one of my favorite single disc soul collections. This is the
      track listing:

      01 GREETINGS (THIS IS UNCLE SAM)
      The Monitors
      02 HE'LL BE BACK
      The Players
      03 MARCHING OFF TO WAR
      William Bell
      04 WHILE I'M AWAY (BABY KEEP THE FAITH)
      Eddy G Giles & the Jive Five
      05 GOING TO VIET NAM
      Big Amos
      06 LONELY SOLDIER
      Mike Williams
      07 I BELIEVE I'M GONNA MAKE IT
      Joe Tex
      08 CHRISTMAS IN VIETNAM
      Johnny & Jon
      09 I'M GONNA HELP HURRY MY BROTHERS HOME
      Jimmy Holiday
      10 LET'S FACE FACTS
      James Carr
      11 LIGHTS OUT
      Zerben R Hicks & The Dynamics
      12 WHEN JOHNNY COMES MARCHING HOME
      Richard Barbary
      13 A SOLDIER'S SAD STORY
      Tiny Watkins
      14 A LETTER FROM VIETNAM
      Emmanuel Laskey
      15 SOMETHING YOU COULDN'T WRITE ABOUT
      Gloria Edwards
      16 MAIL CALL TIME
      Mel & Tim
      17 THERE'S SOMEONE (WAITING BACK HOME)
      The O'Jays
      18 BRING THE BOYS HOME
      Freda Payne
      19 STOP THE WAR NOW
      Edwin Starr
      20 P.O.W. - M.I.A.
      The Whispers
      21 WAR
      Carla Whitney
      22 I CAN'T WRITE LEFT HANDED
      Bill Withers
      23 BACK TO THE WORLD
      Curtis Mayfield
      24 SAM STONE
      Swamp Dogg

      Pretty great stuff, for the most part.

      Regarding the John Prine cover by Swamp Dogg -- I don't know, other
      people can put it more eloquently than I can, but I think it's flat-
      out terrific and the perfect way to end this collection. The
      production is not over the top and his vocal sure puts across the
      anguish to me.

      -John

      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Z." <zimm28@...> wrote:

      > On 4/21/06, jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Swamp Dogg - Sam Stone - A Soldier's Sad Story - Kent
      > > [ This collection is made up of soul songs written about the
      > > Vietnam experience between the period of 1966-73. An equally fine
      > > second collection called "Does Anybody Know I'm Here? Vietnam
      Through