RE: [fearnwhiskey] Clip: Eleventh Dream Day in Cleveland

  • Dave Purcell
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2006
      Carl Z wrote:

      > If my seder doesn't go too long tonight, I'll see 'em.

      Carl, were you there? I didn't realize that you're back in Cleveland. I
      thought they were fantastic. They opened with several from the new
      record. The new songs fit in well with their best moments and I think
      will grow on me once I've spent more time with the new record. I
      previewed several songs on the Thrill Jockey site last week and
      remembered most of them when they began playing them, so that's usually
      a good sign. Highlights of the old material were Testify (with McCombs
      playing the main riff and the keyboard player on bass), Baghdad's Last
      Ride, and a couple from Prairie School Freakout (the names of which
      escape me at the moment without the CD in front of me).

      Rick Rizzo is still a maniac on guitar, channeling Neil Young and Tom
      Verlaine in equal parts. He's very much the mild-mannered social studies
      teacher these days, but his intensity bursts out when he starts singing
      and soloing. There are few things that make me happier than when he goes
      into batshit skronk solo mode. Janet is as strong as ever on drums and
      harmonies and McCombs is just a mofo of a bassist. The keyboard player
      is a great addition. His tiny keyboard looks like it's about to fall
      apart at any given moment, but he's usually some sort of simulator to
      get some very cool sounds out of it. He was perfectly supportive and
      never intrusive.

      They came back for two encores and seemed surprised by the reaction from
      the small, but very enthusiastic crowd. We got to chat with Rick before
      and after the show, and he seemed genuinely moved that we drove four
      hours to spend our 15th wedding anniversary with them. Super nice guy. I
      was happy to learn that some of their earliest shows were with old pals
      of mine -- guys I didn't know then -- at Newport, KY's legendary Jockey
      Club around 1984.

      They're still easily one of the best rock bands out there, for my money.
      No one is doing what they're doing, at least not as well.

      Oh, and get the new record -- it's really strong. There are only a
      couple songs with vocal hooks equivalent to songs like Testify and
      Makin' Like A Rug, but their trademark sound is in full force and it's
      less moody than some of their recent efforts.

      dp
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16, 2006
        Great review, Dave. I was curious to hear how the new lineup sounded
        and am happy they appear to have jelled. My seder in Oberlin didn't
        get finished until after midnight, so unfortunately I couldn't make it
        to the show.

        Here's hoping they tour again once everyone's on summer vacation...

        Carl Z.

        On 4/16/06, Dave Purcell <dap@...> wrote:

        > Carl Z wrote:
        >
        > > If my seder doesn't go too long tonight, I'll see 'em.
        >
        > Carl, were you there? I didn't realize that you're back in Cleveland. I
        > thought they were fantastic. They opened with several from the new
        > record. The new songs fit in well with their best moments and I think
        > will grow on me once I've spent more time with the new record. I
        > previewed several songs on the Thrill Jockey site last week and
        > remembered most of them when they began playing them, so that's usually
        > a good sign. Highlights of the old material were Testify (with McCombs
        > playing the main riff and the keyboard player on bass), Baghdad's Last
        > Ride, and a couple from Prairie School Freakout (the names of which
        > escape me at the moment without the CD in front of me).
        >
        > Rick Rizzo is still a maniac on guitar, channeling Neil Young and Tom
        > Verlaine in equal parts. He's very much the mild-mannered social studies
        > teacher these days, but his intensity bursts out when he starts singing
        > and soloing. There are few things that make me happier than when he goes
        > into batshit skronk solo mode. Janet is as strong as ever on drums and
        > harmonies and McCombs is just a mofo of a bassist. The keyboard player
        > is a great addition. His tiny keyboard looks like it's about to fall
        > apart at any given moment, but he's usually some sort of simulator to
        > get some very cool sounds out of it. He was perfectly supportive and
        > never intrusive.
        >
        > They came back for two encores and seemed surprised by the reaction from
        > the small, but very enthusiastic crowd. We got to chat with Rick before
        > and after the show, and he seemed genuinely moved that we drove four
        > hours to spend our 15th wedding anniversary with them. Super nice guy. I
        > was happy to learn that some of their earliest shows were with old pals
        > of mine -- guys I didn't know then -- at Newport, KY's legendary Jockey
        > Club around 1984.
        >
        > They're still easily one of the best rock bands out there, for my money.
        > No one is doing what they're doing, at least not as well.
        >
        > Oh, and get the new record -- it's really strong. There are only a
        > couple songs with vocal hooks equivalent to songs like Testify and
        > Makin' Like A Rug, but their trademark sound is in full force and it's
        > less moody than some of their recent efforts.
        >
        > dp
      • Dave Purcell
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16, 2006
          > Here's hoping they tour again once everyone's on summer vacation...

          Not likely, unfortunately. Rick & his wife are expecting twins in June.
          They got out to do these dates because it is his spring break and he
          wanted to play a bit before the twins arrive. Which reminds me -- Rick &
          Janet had their son along on tour. He seemed like a sweet kid, was very
          quiet and shy.

          dp