Re: Clip: Joshua Redman & SF JAZZ Collective

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2006
      On 4/7/06, Carl Z. <zimm28@...> clipped:

      > I never expected any of this. I never thought I was good enough for
      > any of this. I still doubt it. I realize how incredibly fortunate I
      > am. Artistically I have had tremendous struggles and continue to
      > struggle, and that's part of the challenge and part of the fun of it.
      > But I've avoided a lot of the struggles and dues paying from a
      > business and economic standpoint that a lot of great jazz musicians
      > and a lot of my peers have had to go through. Six months after I moved
      > to New York, I was in place where I was able to make a decent living
      > playing only music that I wanted to play, and that's a tremendous
      > luxury. I never forget how damned lucky I am.

      This is remarkable to read, and indicates a real perfectionist streak.
      Josh was impressing as a teen in Berkeley High School's jazz program,
      which was (and is) a breeding ground for some of America's best
      improvisers. I wouldn't have been surprised had he landed a recording
      contract straight out of high school, and the path of his career
      doesn't surprise me at all.