RIP Gene P{tney

  • Barry Mazor
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2006
      Singer Gene Pitney Dies at 65
      44 minutes ago AP

      LONDON - Gene Pitney, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame whose hits included
      "Town Without Pity" and "Only Love Can Break a Heart," died Wednesday at a hotel in Wales
      after playing a show, his agent said. He was 65.

      Pitney was found dead in his hotel room in Cardiff, Wales. Police said the death did not
      appear suspicious.

      "We don't have a cause of death at the moment but looks like it was a very peaceful
      passing," said Pitney's tour manager, James Kelly.

      "He was found fully clothed, on his back, as if he had gone for a lie down. It looks as if
      there was no pain whatsoever."

      He added: "Last night was generally one of the happiest and most exuberant performances
      we've seen out of him. He was absolutely on top of his game and was really happy with the
      show."

      Born in Hartford, Conn., on Feb. 17, 1941, Pitney had his first success as a songwriter with
      "Rubber Ball," a Top 10 hit for Bobby Vee in 1961. Later that year, Ricky Nelson had a hit
      with Pitney's "Hello Mary Lou."

      As a performer, Pitney had his first success that same year with "Love My Life Away."

      But Burt Bacharach and Hal David provided the songs that put Pitney in the Top 10: "The
      Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and "Only Love Can Break a Heart."

      "Only Love Can Break a Heart" was Pitney's biggest U.S. hit, peaking at No. 2 on the charts
      in 1962. The No. 1 song at the time was The Crystals' "He's a Rebel," written by Pitney.

      He had more than a dozen Top 40 hits and even contributed to an early Rolling Stones
      recording session.

      Pitney waited until 1990 for his first British No. 1 — he rerecorded "Something's Gotten
      Hold of My Heart" with Marc Almond.

      Pitney also had some success as a country singer, pairing with George Jones to record "I've
      Got Five Dollars and It's Saturday Night" and "Louisiana Man."

      He recorded in Italian and Spanish, and twice took second place at the San Remo Song
      Festival in Italy. He also had a regional hit with "Nessuno Mi Puo' Giudicare."

      Pitney was elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.
    • Kevin J. Hosey
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2006
        Oops, it's been a few weeks, but we have posted a story and photos on
        the CD release party of Michael Meldrum, including performances by Ani
        DiFranco and ex-10,000 Maniacs/current John and Mary member Mary
        Ramsey, at http://buffaloroots.com

        Kevin
        http://Buffaloroots.com
        www.buffaloroots.blogspot.com
      • Kevin J. Hosey
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2006
          Sorry, I meant to change the subject but goofed.