Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on March 02, 2006

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2006
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on March 02, 2006

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Gordon Jenkins - (Excerpt from) Second Dream - Gordon Jenkins'
      Seven Dreams - Decca
      [ This was an excerpt from the second dream on this album (what
      can I say - Gordon Jenkins had long dreams) and is called "The
      Conductor." It was recorded in 1953. The most striking thing is that
      the latter part of this song features a segment called Crescent City
      Blues that is exactly the same melody (just slower) and has most of
      the same words as "Folsom Prison Blues." The courts ruled in the 60s
      that this song was more than just inspired by Gordon Jenkins and
      Johnny Cash had to pay up. ]

      Elvis Costello - Hora Decubitus - Elvis Costello With The Metropole
      Orkfest - Deutsche Grammophon*
      [ Well, you can't say he's not prolific. This latest release is
      a live recording from a 2004 concert at the North Sea Jazz Festival
      that paired Elvis Costello with The Metropole Orkfest. According to
      the liner notes, the Metropole are the world's only full-time jazz
      orchestra with a string section. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Prozak For Lovers - Pump It Up - Prozak For Lovers - Artificial
      [ I played this for the benefit of Cat Pick who was on her way
      to work following her always fine "Emotional Rescue" broadcast. I
      never heard from her so I can only logically conclude that she was
      tuned into "SLU Billikens Talk." ]

      Hem - (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes - Almost You: The Songs
      Of Elvis Costello - Glurp / Bar None
      [ The vocals of Sally Ellyson really make this slowed down
      version stand out. ]

      Neko Case - John Saw That Number - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood -
      Anti-*
      [ I'm convinced this will remain one of the most standout albums
      of the year. The intro of this song was recorded in the back
      stairwell of Toronto's Horseshoe Tavern. When you hear it, that makes
      sense. Neko Case (with Martha Wainwright opening) will be appearing
      at the Vic Theatre in Chicago on March 31st (Friday). As of now,
      that's as close as they are getting to St. Louis. Close enough - I
      will not miss this. Go buy the album on Tuesday, March 7th - you
      will not be disappointed. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Jackie DeShannon - Paradise - Jackie - Atlantic / Rhino
      [ Very nice soulful take of the John Prine song. ]

      Dusty Springfield - Oh, No! Not My Baby - Dusty Springfield Sings
      Classic Soul - Spectrum
      [ This version of the Carole King / Gerry Goffin song first
      appeared on Dusty Springfield's second British LP called "You Don't
      Have To Say You Love Me" and was recorded in 1965. A film based on
      the life of Dusty Springfield is supposed to be in the works and will
      feature Charlize Theron in the lead role. Now, that movie has
      potential.
      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Miracles - I Like It Like That - The Complete Motown Singles:
      Vol.4 - 1964 - Motown / Hip-O Select*
      [ Here we go again - the fourth installment from Hip-O Select of
      this ambitious project to release every Motown single (both a & b
      sides). This six-CD set all the songs from every Motown single
      released in 1964 -- 165 songs in all. All kinds of great stuff on
      this plus some downright strange things you don't expect from Motown
      like country songs with Johnny Cash soundalikes and a maudlin
      Christmas song called "Randy, The Newspaper Boy" with, you guessed
      it, "Happy Ghoul Tide" on the flip-side. Hey, they can't all be
      gems. ]

      Earl Van Dyke - Soul Stomp - The Complete Motown Singles: Vol.4 -
      1964 - Motown / Hip-O Select*
      [ This single was released as "Earl Van Dyke with The Soul
      Brothers" instead of "The Funk Brothers" because of the desires of
      Berry Gordy. Maybe he thought the term "funk" too narrowly defined
      the Motown sound. ]

      Billy Butler & The Chanters - I Can't Work No Longer - Kent's
      Cellar Of Soul - Kent*
      [ Written by Curtis Mayfield and recorded in 1965. The first
      version of this song I heard was by David Lindley & El Rayo-X. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Issac Hayes - I Stand Accused - Ultimate Issac Hayes: Can You Dig
      It? - Stax
      [ I love KDHX - I can play this entire 11 1/2-minute song.
      Issac Hayes does an absolutely stunning version of this Jerry Butler
      song. I got more calls & e-mails from this song than any other song
      I've ever played on KDHX. An unsolicited testimonial from a KDHX
      listener - the name has been deleted to protect the innocent: " I was
      listening on the way to work this morning when you played that 11 1/2
      min Issac Hayes song. It was great. I was struck by how long it
      was, and by about 6
      minutes in I was so into it I pulled off into a park to listen to the
      rest of the song. Thanks for playing that." E-mails like this make
      my day. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Beth Orton - Rectify - Comfort Of Strangers - Astralwerks*
      [ I'm bound & determined to see her for the first time when I'm
      at SXSW in a couple of weeks. Nice to hear her back in "Central
      Reservation" form. ]

      Jenny Toomey - Just Because It's Dying - Tempting - Misra

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Matthew Ryan - Guilty - May Day - A & M
      [ Appearing tonight (Thursday 3/2) along with David Mead at the
      Finale Nightclub in Clayton. ]

      Thea Gilmore - I'm Not Down - Songs from the Gutter - Compass
      [ Not a Clash song that is often covered. Fine version. ]

      Arctic Monkeys - Riot Van - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What
      I'm Not - Domino*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Roky Erickson & Blieb Alien - Starry Eyes - I Have Always Been Here
      Before - Shout Factory
      [ Don't miss the Roky Erickson documentary which is part of the
      Webster University film series: You’re Gonna Miss Me, Keven
      McAlester, 2005, USA. It runs from March 3-5 at 9:00 pm. In a
      nutshell -- Thirty years ago Roky Erickson was a rock-and-roll icon.
      A manic white-blues singer who was Janis Joplin's primary influence,
      he fronted the legendary band the 13th Floor Elevators, the
      originators of
      “psychedelic music”. After an insanity plea on a 1969 marijuana
      arrest,
      Erickson was sent to the Rusk State Hospital, a medieval institution
      deep in east Texas. He remained there for three years with the
      state's
      most violent mentally ill offenders, re-emerging a changed man,
      singing
      about ghouls, zombies, and Satan, christening himself "The Evil One,"
      and declaring himself an alien. You’re Gonna Miss Me finds a
      present day
      Roky at 53, an unmedicated paranoid schizophrenic and total recluse,
      shut-in in his chaotic apartment, watching cartoons all day, while
      his
      younger brother Sumner vows to persuade his overbearing mother Evelyn
      cede control of Roky in a "crusade to give his brother his life and
      music back." ]

      John Wesley Harding & The Good Liars - If You Have Ghosts - Where
      The Pyramid Meets The Eye - Sire / Warner Bros

      Neko Case - The Needle Has Landed - Fox Confessor Brings The
      Flood - Anti-+*
      [ I know I already played a song from this upcoming album
      earlier in the show but this was the second week in a row that the
      same listener called in requesting "any song" from this album. I
      couldn't refuse him twice in a row. Besides, Neko Case has never done
      a better song than this one. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Townes Van Zandt - Lungs - Live At The Old Quarter - Tomato
      [ A real long time ago (at least 15 years ago), I saw Steve
      Earle when he played solo at a place in Santa Monica, CA called
      McCabe's. He started off a cover of this song by calling it "the
      scariest song I've heard in my life." Don't miss the Townes Van
      Zandt documentary which is part of the Webster University film
      series: -Be Here to Love Me: A Film about Townes Van Zandt, Margaret
      Brown, 2005,
      USA, 99 min. / March 3-5 at 7:00 pm /
      his family, pinned between a deep longing for home and the nomadic
      lifestyle that was necessary for his livelihood. Director Margaret
      Brown's Be Here to Love Me is an artful, expertly directed portrait
      of
      both of these sides of Van Zandt and ultimately serves as an
      insightful
      look at the sacrifices, challenges, and consequences faced in pursuit
      of
      a dream. Includes interviews and appearances by Willie Nelson, Lyle
      Lovett, Kris Kristofferson, Steve Earle, and Emmylou Harris. ]

      Jessi Colter - His Eye Is On The Sparrow - Out Of The Ashes -
      Shout Factory*
      [ This is her first release since 1985 & she sounds terrific on
      this and wrote or co-wrote ten of the songs. Plus, you get Reggie
      Young on guitar. ]

      Sammi Smith - This Room Is For Rent - Help Me Make It Through the
      Night - Mega

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Kenny Roby - On The Wind - The Mercy Filter - Pulp Recordings
      [ Thanks to Rick Cornell from WXDU 88.7 for making sure I got a
      copy of this. This is the third solo release from the ex-Six String
      Drag singer/songwriter. Sometimes reminiscent of Elvis Costello
      which is a good thing. ]

      Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ramblin' Man - Ramblin' Man EP -
      V2
      [ Thanks to Rene Saller (Suffragette City Tuesday at 10 PM) for
      providing me with this. Remember that the full-length Isobel Campbell
      & Mark Lanegan release called "Ballad of the Broken Seas" comes out
      next week. ]

      Beat Farmers - There She Goes Again - Tales Of The New West -
      Rhino Handmade

      Los Super 7 (feat. Raul Malo on vocals) - The Song Of Everything -
      Heard It On The X - Telarc
      [ Written by Doug Sahm & beautifully rendered (hey, it's Raul
      Malo - it's almost a given that it will be beautifully rendered) by
      Raul Malo. ]