WRCT weekly charts

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 20, 2002
      Here's what's getting airplay this week on WRCT. We also have a second
      Masada disc in the new release bin _Live 1993_, from early in that group's
      career. The last track of last night's show comes from that album.

      Carl Z.

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 20, 2002
        > > 3 YEAH YEAH YEAHS - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Touch and Go

        God I love that EP!

        No Bright Eyes? :^(

        > > 1 MC Paul Barman - Cock Mobster - Coup D'etat

        What's this? I didn't know he had anything out. He's a former XDU DJ btw.
        My brother saw him in SF a week or two ago and said it was great.

        steve
      • Carl Abraham Zimring
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2003
          for the week ending 4/26/03

          TOP 30

          1 ROYKSOPP - Melody A.M. - Astralwerks
          2 SMOKING POPES TRIBUTE - Various Artists - Double Zero
          3 YO LA TENGO - Summer Sun - Mataador
          4 FRONT 242 - Still And Raw - Metropolis
          5 DEERHOOF - Apple O - 5RC
          6 APHEX TWIN - 26 Mixes For Cash - Warp
          7 STOMPIN' - Various Artists - Stomp
          8 LIGHTNING BOLT - Wonderful Rainbow - Load
          9 NOBUKAZU TAKEMURA - 10th - Thrill Jockey
          10 FLYING GROOVE - Various Artists - Bluebird
          11 FM KNIVES - Useless And Modern - Broken Rekkids
          12 JR EWING - Ride Paranoia - GSL
          13 WOLFSHEIM - Casting Shadows - Metropolis
          14 WILLIE NELSON - Crazy: The Demo Sessions - Sugar Hill
          15 POSTAL SERVICE - Give Up - Sub Pop
          16 SHIPPING NEWS - Three-Four - Quarterstick
          17 TED LEO AND THE PHARMACISTS - Hearts Of Oak - Lookout
          18 MIND FLAYER - Take Your Skin Off - Bulb
          19 JON LANGFORD WITH THE SADIES - Mayors Of The Moon - Bloodshot
          20 FLYING FUNK - Various Artists - Bluebird
          21 ONEIDA - Each One Teach One - Jagjaguwar
          22 SOVIET - We Are Eyes, We Are Builders - Head
          23 LUCIANO - Serve Jah - VP
          24 WANNA BUY A CRAPRAK? - Various Artists - Carpark
          25 CLASSIC BLUES - Various Artists - Smithsonian Folkways
          26 FISCHERSPOONER - #1 - Capitol
          27 SWEEP THE LEG JOHNNY/RUMAH SAKIT - Live - Sickroom
          28 TANGIERS - Hot New Spirits - Sonic Unyon
          29 ULTRA DOLPHINS - Ultra Dolphins - If And When
          30 FRED FRITH - Guitar Solos - ReR

          TOP 10 JAZZ

          1 FLYING GROOVE - Various Artists - Bluebird
          2 PAUL FLAHERTY - Voices - Wet Paint
          3 STEVE LACY 6 - We See - HatOlogy
          4 WAYNE SHORTER - Alegria - Verve
          5 DAVE DOUGLAS - Freak In - Bluebird
          6 AERCINE - Aercine - Drimala
          7 COMPANION TRIO - Our Customs - Mass Particles
          8 WALLY SHOUP TRIO - Fusillades And Lamentations - Leo
          9 ORCHESTRE NATIONAL DE JAZZ - Charmediterraneen - ECM
          10 JEFF PARKER - Like-Coping - Delmark

          TOP 10 INTERNATIONAL

          1 LUCIANO - Serve Jah - VP
          2 BURNING SPEAR - Live At Montreux Jazz Festival 2001 - Burning Music
          3 THE ROUGH GUIDE TO THE BALKANS - Various Artists - World Music Network
          4 AMANDLA! - SOUNDTRACK - ATO
          5 NINEY THE OBSERVER - Niney And Friends - Trojan
          6 GROUNDATION - Hebron Gate - Young Tree
          7 VINICIUS DE MORAES - Days In Mar Del Plata - Circular Moves
          8 YABBY YOU - Dub It To The Top: 1976-1979 - Blood And Fire
          9 ANATOLIA - Lost Songs Of Palestine - [self-released]
          10 SECKOU KEITA - Mali - Arc

          TOP 10 HIP HOP FULL-LENGTHS

          1 TALIB KWELI Quality
          2 T-LOVE Long Way Back
          3 DJ KRUSH The Message At The Depth
          4 A BLOW TO THE STATE VARIOUS ARTISTS
          5 UNDER THE INFLUENCE MIXED BY ROB SWIFT VARIOUS ARTISTS
          6 STRICT FLOW Without Further Ado
          7 OPUS First Contact 001
          8 COUNT BASS-D Dwight Spitz
          9 DOOLEY O Watch My Moves
          10 SAGE FRANCIS Makeshift Patriot

          TOP 10 LOUD ROCK

          1 STRAPPING YOUNG LAD SYL
          2 THE END Transfer Trachea Reverberations from
          Point: False Omniscient
          3 KAMELOT Epica
          4 SOILWORK Figure Number Five
          5 KALIBAS Product Of Hard Living
          6 MARDUK World Funeral
          7 DARKTHRONE Hate Them
          8 BENUMB By Means Of Upheaval
          9 BLOOD RED THRONE Affiliated With Suffering
          10 VITAL REMAINS Dechristianize
        • Steve Gardner
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2003
            11 FM KNIVES - Useless And Modern - Broken Rekkids

            On the flufflist people were matching up the post-punk revival bands to
            their mentors. If FM Knives were on that list they'd have been matched up to
            the Buzzcocks. In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever
            heard. The sound wears a little thin by the end of the disc, but overall I
            really like it. (I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more
            like the Feelies mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing), Numbers
            (annoying in a good sorta way) and Tokyo Sex Destruction (my favorite MC5
            copy of the moment.)

            5 UNDER THE INFLUENCE MIXED BY ROB SWIFT VARIOUS ARTISTS

            That was the number one record on XDU last week. Or #2...or something like
            that. Good stuff if you like the oldschool funk/soul vibe with some
            turntable scratching going on here and there.

            steve
          • jeffj@blast.net
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2003
              Speaking of "sounding like", in a recent interview, the Hives said their
              upcoming cd sounds like a cross between the Sex Pistols and Kraftwerk. That
              should be interesting, unless of course it ends up sounding like Public Image.
              <g> Though, I admit I've only heard the first couple PIL releases. Are any of
              their later records worth checking out?

              Jeff J, who is also digging Black Lipstick and will be looking for some Feelies
              vinyl at this weekend's WFMU record fair in NYC

              Quoting Steve Gardner <steve@...>:
              >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more
              > like the Feelies mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing), Numbers
              > (annoying in a good sorta way) and Tokyo Sex Destruction (my favorite MC5
              > copy of the moment.)

              This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail
            • Steve Gardner
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                Speaking of "sounding like", in a recent interview, the Hives said their
                upcoming cd sounds like a cross between the Sex Pistols and Kraftwerk. That
                should be interesting, unless of course it ends up sounding like Public
                Image.
                <g> Though, I admit I've only heard the first couple PIL releases. Are any
                of
                their later records worth checking out?
                =
                I'm a big fan of this first album, and that's about it. I haven't listened
                extensively to any of their other stuff, though I do own Second Edition and
                the Live Album. Second Edition usually gets all the raves, but I'm not that
                into it. I've also hear the generic Album, but it doesn't do a whole lot for
                me (though it did when I was a new waven youngster.)
                =
                Jeff J, who is also digging Black Lipstick and will be looking for some
                Feelies
                vinyl at this weekend's WFMU record fair in NYC
                =

                On another list today someone sent out a message titled "Magazine CDs". I
                thought it was going to be about the band Magazine, but instead they were
                talking about CDs that go in magazines. But it got me to thinking. What are
                your thoughts on Magazine? I have one album of theirs (Secondhand Daylight),
                but I haven't listened to it in probably a dozen years (mainly because I'm
                lazy about playing vinyl.)

                steve
              • Carl Abraham Zimring
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                  --On Friday, May 2, 2003 9:59 AM -0400 Steve Gardner <steve@...>
                  wrote:

                  > <g> Though, I admit I've only heard the first couple PIL releases. Are any
                  > of
                  > their later records worth checking out?
                  > =
                  > I'm a big fan of this first album, and that's about it. I haven't listened
                  > extensively to any of their other stuff, though I do own Second Edition
                  > and the Live Album. Second Edition usually gets all the raves, but I'm
                  > not that into it. I've also hear the generic Album, but it doesn't do a
                  > whole lot for me (though it did when I was a new waven youngster.)

                  Every PiL disc is different from the last, in part because just about every
                  PiL disc featured a different line-up. The first album has some nice Keith
                  Levine guitar lines that The Edge listened to a time or two thousand.
                  _Second Edition_ works best if you have very big subwoofers, as Jah
                  Wobble's bass is the dominant sound (Lydon's muttering is about third in
                  the mix). If you like percussion, _Flowers of Romance_ is your record.
                  _This Is What You Want...This Is What You Get_ puts some terrible
                  production on some good songs; if you can find Levene's grey-market
                  _Commercial Zone_ (put out after he left the band and Lydon wiped his
                  guitar parts from _This Is..._), get that for better versions of "This Is
                  Not a Love Song" and the great instrumental "The Slab" (which was the
                  blueprint for Pray for Rain's entire catalog).

                  I think _Album_ is excellent. Lydon's voice tops a Bill Laswell-assembled
                  band that included Tony Williams and Ginger Baker on drums and Sonny
                  Sharrock-collaborator Nicky Skopelitis on guitars. Had they opted for
                  Sharrock rather than Steve Vai for the lead work, I'd call it a
                  masterpiece, but as it is, there is some very satisfying groove-laden hard
                  rock on _Album_.

                  Then it all went downhill. Despite roping in ex-Magazine guitarist John
                  McGeoch and current Mekon Lu Edmonds, the subsequent discs sound like bad
                  "modern rock" c. 1987.

                  > On another list today someone sent out a message titled "Magazine CDs". I
                  > thought it was going to be about the band Magazine, but instead they were
                  > talking about CDs that go in magazines. But it got me to thinking. What
                  > are your thoughts on Magazine? I have one album of theirs (Secondhand
                  > Daylight), but I haven't listened to it in probably a dozen years (mainly
                  > because I'm lazy about playing vinyl.)

                  You mean the band led by one of my favorite lyricists? The band featuring
                  not only McGeoch but the young Barry Adamson. Yeah, I'm a fan. My
                  favorite album of theirs is _The Correct Use of Soap_, but I love the whole
                  catalog, and the box _Maybe It's Right to Be Nervous Now_ adds many b-sides
                  and live tracks in an attractive package.

                  _Secondhand Daylight_ may be their least accessible record with its long
                  songs, but it's all good.

                  Carl Z.
                • Dave Purcell
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                    Carl Zimring wrote:

                    <<I think _Album_ is excellent. Lydon's voice tops a Bill
                    Laswell-assembled
                    band that included Tony Williams and Ginger Baker on drums and Sonny
                    Sharrock-collaborator Nicky Skopelitis on guitars. Had they opted for
                    Sharrock rather than Steve Vai for the lead work, I'd call it a
                    masterpiece, but as it is, there is some very satisfying groove-laden
                    hard
                    rock on _Album_.>>

                    I like Album (or Cassette or Compact Disc) quite a bit too, it's my fave
                    (though Second Edition holds a very special place in my heart for
                    personal reasons). I really dig all the PiL records up to Album. As Carl
                    said, they fell off after that.

                    I saw PiL open for INXS in Louisville once. It was beautiful. Louisville
                    college kids didn't know quite what to make of Lydon, and he kept coming
                    up to the edge of the stage saying, "Don't worry, Uncle Johnny won't
                    hurt you."

                    Anger is an energy,
                    dp
                  • Carl Abraham Zimring
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                      --On Friday, May 2, 2003 10:45 AM -0400 Dave Purcell <dave@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I like Album (or Cassette or Compact Disc) quite a bit too, it's my fave

                      One of my high-school friends bought an old eight-track tape player at a
                      flea market and modified it to record just so he could have _Eight-Track_.

                      Carl Z.
                    • Mock the DJ
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                        >From: "Steve Gardner" <steve@...>

                        >11 FM KNIVES - Useless And Modern - Broken Rekkids
                        >
                        >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

                        What's your take on The Briefs?

                        Steve continued:

                        >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
                        >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

                        I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
                        EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
                        Velvet Underground songbook."

                        Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.

                        Paul

                      • Steve Gardner
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                          >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

                          >What's your take on The Briefs?

                          I don't know the Briefs. Should I?

                          Steve continued:

                          >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
                          >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

                          I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
                          EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
                          Velvet Underground songbook."

                          Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.
                          ==

                          Exactly.

                          steve
                        • jeffj@blast.net
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                            I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
                            spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
                            something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
                            their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
                            haven't heard the Thermals yet.

                            Jeff J

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                              Speaking of Kraftwerk, I'll inform all the faithful Gothees fans out there
                              that we will debuting a new song this Saturday at the Warsaw Tavern (in
                              Polish Hill) here in Pgh.

                              The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra Man"
                              with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                              Shameless self plug,
                              Paul

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                                I love the Thermals. I saw them at SXSW, too, and they were terrific. They are a four piece. The lead singer looks about 19 years old. He's geeky and he gives it all he's got. Their CD sounds like a more noisy (and less polished) version of the Strokes. They probably would hate it if they heard me say that, but it's true.

                                steve
                                I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
                                spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
                                something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
                                their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
                                haven't heard the Thermals yet.

                                Jeff J

                                > What's your take on The Briefs?

                                This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • Carl Abraham Zimring
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                                  --On Friday, May 2, 2003 12:56 PM -0400 Mock the DJ <mockthedj@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra
                                  > Man" with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                                  I think you need video screens showing the title credits to Ultra Man
                                  behind you. I'm not sure exactly where they would fit at the Warsaw, but
                                  I'm still kind of surprised they can haul amps into that room and not have
                                  the floor disintegrate.