upcoming reissues (including Camper Van Beethoven)

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
      From http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/vault183.shtm. In addition to the
      dates listed below, ICE reports:

      Cracker's live CD, Apothecary Live: Flash Your Sirens, features 15 tracks
      recorded in California, Alaska, Arizona and Washington D.C. The
      limited-edition disc includes a special insert written by original Camper
      Van Beethoven member Victor Krummenacher and is available exclusively at
      CrackerSoul.com.

      (The tour featured CVB alumni Krummenacher, Greg Lisher and Jonathan Segel
      sitting in with Cracker. Camper Van Beethoven have also just released
      their cover of the Fleetwood Mac album _Tusk_, available at
      http://www.pitch-a-tent.com/. I haven't heard this yet and I'm trying to
      imagine what it sounds like -- I imagine they took more than a couple of
      liberties with the material.)

      ***

      June 4

      Duke Ellington At the Alhambra -- Recorded in Paris, 1958 (Pablo) and Love
      You Madly (Collectables)

      Ella Fitzgerald Ella at Juan-Les-Pins (two CDs) (Verve)

      Five Blind Boys of Alabama Collectors Edition (Fuel 2000)

      The Golden Palominos Ride Pony Ride - An Essential Collection (Fuel 2000)

      The Hellacopters Cream of the Crap (Gearhead)

      Milt Jackson Centerpiece: At the Kosei Nenkin, Volume Two (Pablo)

      Art Pepper Timeless (Savoy Jazz)

      Spoon A Series of Sneaks (w/bonus tracks) (Merge)

      Nikki Sudden Groove/Crown of Thorns (two CDs) (Secretly Canadian)

      Nikki Sudden & Rowland S. Howard Kiss You Kidnapped Charabanc/Live in
      Augsburg, Germany 1987 (two CDs) (Secretly Canadian)

      Swans Feel Good Now (Atavistic)

      Art Tatum 1910-1956 (Collectables)

      Kitty Wells 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection (MCA
      Nashville/Decca/UME)

      Bobby Womack Soul Sensation Live (DVD Audio) (Silverline)

      VA Cool Blue Outlaws: Songs of Rogues, Rascals & Rapscallions (Sugar Hill)

      VA Deep River of Song: Bahamas 1935 (Volume 2): Ring Games and Round Dances
      (Alan Lomax Collection) (Rounder)

      VA Deep River of Song: South Carolina: Got the Keys to the Kingdom (Alan
      Lomax Collection) (Rounder)

      June 11

      Louis Armstrong Butter & Eggman and C?est Si Bon (Tomato)

      Aztec Camera Knife/Aztec Camera (two-fer) (Wounded Bird)

      Ruth Brown with the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Orchestra Fine Brown Frame (Koch
      Jazz)

      The Byrds Sing Dylan (Columbia/Legacy)

      Duke Ellington Live and Rare (three-CD set) (Bluebird)

      Pretty Things Cross Talk and Freeway Madness (Peaceville)

      Jonathan Richman The Best of (two CDs) (Sanctuary/Trojan)

      The Who The Ultimate Collection (two CDs) (UTV)

      Brian Wilson Pet Sounds Live (recorded 2001 w/Wondermints as backing band)
      (Sanctuary)

      June 18

      Cameo Anthology (two CDs) (Mercury)

      Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson VH-1 Storytellers (American)

      Rick James Anthology (two CDs) (Motown)

      Albert King Born Under a Bad Sign (Stax/Fantasy)

      Mar-Keys Last Night/Do the Popeye (two-fer) (Stax/Fantasy)

      The Ohio Players Funk on Fire: Anthology (two CDs) (Mercury)

      Styrenes It's Still Artastic (ROIR)

      David Sylvian Camphor (two CDs of instrumentals) and Damage ("Jean the
      Birdman" version) (Virgin)

      Carla Thomas Gee Whiz (Stax/Fantasy)

      June 25

      The Animals Ark (1983 reunion) (Sanctuary/Castle)

      Astor Piazolla 10th Anniversary (Milan)

      Elvis Presley Today, Tomorrow and Forever (RCA/BMG Heritage)

      Professor Longhair Big Chief and Rum & Coke (Tomato)

      The Velvet Underground The Velvet Underground & Nico - Deluxe Edition (two
      CDs) (Polydor)

      The Waterboys Fisherman's Blues Part II (Razor & Tie)

      Muddy Waters Folk Singer (SACD) (Chess)

      Dale Watson Dale Watson Live from London, England (Audium)

      ***

      Carl Z.
    • Lance Davis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
        <<VA Cool Blue Outlaws: Songs of Rogues, Rascals & Rapscallions
        (Sugar Hill)>>

        Carl, any idea what sorts of songs are going to be on this one?
        Any album that incorporates the word "rapscallion" into its
        title has to have something going for it <g>.

        <<The Velvet Underground The Velvet Underground & Nico - Deluxe
        Edition (two CDs) (Polydor)>>

        This has milking the sacred cow written all over it, however,
        given the album I'm curious. Is this one stereo CD and one mono
        CD or are there leftover songs that have somehow escaped the
        other 3 or 4 previously released collections?

        Lance

        =====
        "I don't cut the ribbon at the opening of markets. I don't stand next to the mayor. Hit your baseball into my yard and you'll never see it again."
        --Tom Waits

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • jlswedberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
          Holy cow! I might have to get that. How odd.
          --Jamie S.

          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
          > Camper Van Beethoven have also just released
          > their cover of the Fleetwood Mac album _Tusk_, available at
          > http://www.pitch-a-tent.com/. I haven't heard this yet and I'm trying to
          > imagine what it sounds like -- I imagine they took more than a couple of
          > liberties with the material.)
        • czimring
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
            > <<VA Cool Blue Outlaws: Songs of Rogues, Rascals & Rapscallions
            > (Sugar Hill)>>
            >
            > Carl, any idea what sorts of songs are going to be on this one?
            > Any album that incorporates the word "rapscallion" into its
            > title has to have something going for it <g>.

            Ya got me; perhaps a Sugar Hill employee might have the dirt on this
            one. Sounds like some killin' might be involved.

            > <<The Velvet Underground The Velvet Underground & Nico - Deluxe
            > Edition (two CDs) (Polydor)>>
            >
            > This has milking the sacred cow written all over it, however,
            > given the album I'm curious. Is this one stereo CD and one mono
            > CD or are there leftover songs that have somehow escaped the
            > other 3 or 4 previously released collections?

            Lou Reed solo demos? Mono tapes of Mo Tucker coughing? How many
            recordings could they have possibly made?

            Carl "it's bound to be better than _Having Fun With Elvis Onstage_ or
            that Van Morrison disc of deliberately unreleasable crap -- though by
            how much I do not know" Z.
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2 6:20 AM
              _24 Hour Party People_ is a film about the early Factory days in
              Manchester, so I imagine the soundtrack will have some vintage Buzzcocks,
              Magazine and Joy Division. The new version of the Who's debut album is
              allegedly leaps and bounds above any previous edition, as the master tapes
              are no longer part of a legal dispute that lasted 35 years.

              Carl Z.

              ***

              http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/vault185.shtm

              August 6

              Louis Armstrong Bluebird's Best: Sings & Swings (Bluebird)

              Booker T. & the MGs Essentials (Rhino)

              Clifford Brown & Max Roach At Basin Street (Verve)

              Rick Danko Best of (Arista)

              Bill Evans Alone (w/six bonus tracks) (Verve)

              Fairport Convention 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection (A&M)

              Lionel Hampton Bluebird's Best: Ring Dem Bells (Bluebird)

              Lena Horne Bluebird's Best: The Young Star (Bluebird)

              Microphones Song Islands (singles compilation w/Mirah and Calvin Johnson
              guesting) (K)

              DVD The Damned Final Damnation (Sanctuary/Castle)

              August 13

              Cannonball Adderley Cannonball Takes Charge (Blue Note)

              Ray Charles Essential Collection (Goldenlane)

              The Everly Bothers A Night at the Royal Albert Hall (Stardust)

              Rahsaan Roland Kirk Case of the 3-Sided Dream in Audio Color, Left and
              Right, Other Folk's Music, Prepare Thyself to Deal with a Miracle and
              Rahsaan, Rahsaan (Collectables)

              Last Poets Last Poets (Fuel 2000)

              Sam Moore Plenty Good Lovin?: The Lost Solo Album (2K)

              David "Fathead" Newman Comes On, House of David and Straight Ahead
              (Collectables)

              The Posies At Least, At Last (four-CD box set) (Not Lame)

              Elvis Presley Roots Revolution: The Louisiana Hayride Recordings (Tomato)

              Louis Prima The Wildest! (Capitol Jazz)

              The Three O'Clock Arrive Without Travelling/Ever After (two-fer
              w/track-by-track band commentary) (Collectors' Choice)

              Townes Van Zandt The Nashville Sessions and Townes Van Zandt (Tomato)

              August 20

              Black Sabbath Past Lives (from 1975 w/poster and guitar pick; two CDs)
              (Sanctuary)

              Dave Brubeck Quartet Jazz at the College of the Pacific, Volume Two
              (Fantasy/OJC)

              John Coltrane Lush Life (Prestige)

              The Damned Damned, Damned, Damned and Music for Pleasure (Sanctuary/Castle)

              Miles Davis Filles de Killimanjaro, In a Silent Way, Water Babies
              (Columbia/Legacy), Streamin' (Prestige) and The Last Word: The Warner Bros.
              Years (four CDs) (Rhino/Warner Archives)

              Eric Dolphy Far Cry (New Jazz)

              Isaac Hayes Groove-a-thon (Fantasy)

              Jimi Hendrix Smash Hits (Hendrix)

              Motörhead Keep Us on the Road: Live 1977, Tear Ya Down: The Rarities (two
              CDs) (Sanctuary/Metal-Is)

              Tito Puente King of Kings (BMG Heritage)

              The Quintet (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Charles Mingus, Bud Powell
              and Max Roach) Jazz at Massey Hall (Debut)

              The Ramones End of the Century, Pleasant Dreams, Subterranean Jungle and
              Too Tough to Die (Warner Archives/Rhino)

              The Rolling Stones 12x5, Aftermath (U.S. and U.K. versions), Beggars
              Banquet, Between the Buttons (U.S. and U.K. versions), Big Hits (High Tide
              and Green Grass), December's Children (and Everybody's), England?s Newest
              Hitmakers, Flowers, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, Got Live If You Want It!, Hot
              Rocks 1964-1971 (two CDs), Let It Bleed, Metamorphosis (U.K. version), More
              Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies) (two CDs), Now!, Out of Our Heads
              (U.S. and U.K. versions), Singles Collection - The London Years (three
              CDs), Their Satanic Majesties Request and Through the Past, Darkly (Big
              Hits, Vol. 2) (ABKCO)

              Sonny Rollins Plus 4 (Prestige)

              Cecil Taylor, Gigi Gryce and Donald Byrd At Newport (Verve LP Reproductions)

              Joe Turner The Midnight Special (OJC/Pablo)

              McCoy Tyner The Greeting (OJC/Milestone)

              Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson and Cannonball Adderley Cleanhead and Cannonball
              (Milestone)

              Ben Webster Plays Duke Ellington (Storyville)

              OST 24 Hour Party People (ffrr)

              August 27

              Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin', Swingin' Machine, Wild Man on
              the Loose and The Word from Mose (Collectables)

              Johnny Cash Live at Madison Square Garden 1969, Silver, Sings Ballads of
              the True West and Songs of Our Soil (Columbia/Legacy)

              Bill Evans Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz (Jazz Alliance)

              Lightnin' Hopkins In the Key of Lightnin' (Tomato)

              Elmore James Dust My Broom (Tomato)

              Jason & the Scorchers Still Standing (EMI)

              Louis Jordan World Transcriptions (Storyville)

              Junior Kimbrough You Better Run: The Essential (Fat Possum)

              Mance Lipscomb Texas Country Blues (Arhoolie)

              Charles Mingus Mingus Moves (Collectables)

              Charlie Parker Bird After Dark (Savoy Jazz)

              Oscar Peterson Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz (Jazz Alliance)

              Thelonious Monk Live at Newport 1963 and 1965 (two CDs), Monk and Monk's
              Dream (Columbia/Legacy)

              The Who My Generation - Deluxe Edition (MCA)

              DVD Keith Richards & the Expensive Winos Live at the Hollywood Palladium
              (Virgin)

              DVD Audio R.E.M. Reveal (Warner Bros.)

              SACD John Coltrane A Love Supreme (Impulse!)

              SACD Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong Ella and Louie (Verve)

              SACD Muddy Waters Folk Singer (Chess)