Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on November 03, 2005

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2005
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on November 03, 2005

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Bettye LaVette - Games People Play - My Goodness, Yes!: Treasures
      From The Silver Fox Label - Sundazed*
      [ Appearing at BBs Jazz Blues & Soups on Wednesday (11/16). This
      is not to be missed. ]

      James Brown - This Old Heart - This Is The Modern World - Universal

      Erma Franklin - Baby I Love You - Super Soul Sister - Vampisoul

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Otis Redding - You Don't Miss Your Water - Otis Blue - ATCO

      Bettye Swann - Don't Look Back - The Money Recordings - Kent
      [ Just Bettye Swann singing and somebody unnamed on acoustic
      guitar on this stellar performance of the Smokey Robinson-penned
      song. This was previously unreleased until this compilation album
      came out in 2001. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Isaac Hayes - Soulsville - Ultimate Isaac Hayes: Can You Dig It? -
      Stax*
      [ This new release features his biggest hits, choice album
      tracks, and three never-issued tunes from Hayes' 1972 performance at
      Operation Push in Chicago. But wait, there's more...extensive liner
      notes by Rob Bowman & a DVD of a few live performances from the 70s.
      All for the price of one CD. ]

      Martina Topley-Bird - Outro - Anything - PALM

      Martina Topley-Bird - Need One - Anything - PALM

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Mulato Astatke - Yekermo Sew - Ethiopiques 4 - Buda Musique

      Stevie Wonder - We Can Work It Out - wecanworkitout - Harmless

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Magnetic Fields - I Don't Believe You - i - Nonesuch

      Chocolate Genius, Inc. - Chasing Strange - Black Yankee Rock -
      Commotion*

      Laura Veirs - Galaxies - I Don't Believe You - Nonesuch*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Tinhorn - Lift You Up - Stereowide -

      Beatles - Paperback Writer - Past Masters - Vol. 2 - EMI

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Marah - Walt Whitman Bridge - If You Didn't Laugh You'd Cry - Yep
      Roc*
      [ Appearing at Off Broadway tomorrow night (Friday 11/4).
      Opening is Jake Brennan & The Confidence Men. Marah always puts on a
      terrific live show in St. Louis. I know I wouldn't miss it. ]

      Billy Bragg & Wilco - Walt Whitman's Niece - Mermaid Avenue -
      Elektra
      [ This concludes the Walt Whitman reference portion of Memphis
      To Manchester. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Mott The Hoople - I Wish I Was Your Mother - Mott - Columbia

      Alejandro Escovedo - Castanets - A Man Under The Influence -
      Bloodshot

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Beatles - Birthday - White Album - EMI

      Steve Wynn & The Miracle 3 - Killing Me -
      ...tick ...tick ...tick - Blue Rose*
      [ The North American release date for this is early 2006 but it
      is available now at http://www.stevewynn.net/. He keeps his string
      of excellent recordings intact with the third part of the 'Tucson
      trilogy' (recording sessions at the wavelab, Tucson, Arizona). ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Kinks - David Watts - Something Else By The Kinks - Sanctuary

      Holly Golightly - Time Will Tell - Truly She Is None Other -
      Damaged Goods

      Kirsty MacColl - Days - Kite - Charisma

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Kelly Willis - Not Forgotten You - What I Deserve - Ryko

      Damon Bramblett - Heaven Bound - Damon Bramblett - Namesake

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Leo Connellan - Crossing America XXI - Crossing America - Skuntry
      [ You still have time to high tail it down to Mad Art Studio
      tonight. Hoobellatoo will present an evening of music, poetry and art
      titled "Hoobellatoo: Crossing America" at Mad Art Gallery. Doors for
      the art opening are at 7 p.m. and the musical performance begins at 8
      p.m. The event will benefit the future efforts of Hoobellatoo, a
      multimedia arts collective and documentary group based in St. Louis.
      Find out what it's all about at
      http://www.madart.com/website/PDF/hubellatoo.pdf.
      I'm looking really forward to this event.
      ]

      Three Fried Men - Ridding The Community Of Vagrancy - Crossing
      America - Skuntry

      Leo Connellan - Crossing America XXII - Crossing America - Skuntry

      Three Fried Men w/ Brian Henneman & Cheryl Stryker - Just One More
      Mountain - Crossing America - Skuntry

      Rosco Gordon - Let's Get High - The Sun Records Collection - Rhino