RE: [fearnwhiskey] Clip: A jazz quartet tribute to Pavement is, inexplicably, a roaring success.

  • Wilson, Carl
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
      > a jazz treatment of Pavement songs is not an obvious move
      > -- less obvious than, say, Lester Bowie covering the Notorious BIG.

      And certainly less obvious than all that jazz-Radiohead stuff, which I enjoyed the article's reference to.

      But jazz-Pavement is not as odd as it looks. If you consider the jazz influence on their influences - from Ornette/Ayler to Beefheart/Ubu/Fall/No Wave/SY to Pavement to here, it's kind of just coming full circle.

      Hey! Wow! Imagine a jazz album of rearranged Captain Beefheart. That would be fantastic.

      (Tip: This is where somebody grunts, "Pshaw, it would just sound exactly like [free jazz album X].")

      carl w.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
        On 11/4/05, Wilson, Carl <cwilson@...> wrote:
        > > a jazz treatment of Pavement songs is not an obvious move
        > > -- less obvious than, say, Lester Bowie covering the Notorious BIG.
        >
        > And certainly less obvious than all that jazz-Radiohead stuff, which I
        > enjoyed the article's reference to.
        >
        > But jazz-Pavement is not as odd as it looks. If you consider the jazz
        > influence on their influences - from Ornette/Ayler to Beefheart/Ubu/Fall/No
        > Wave/SY to Pavement to here, it's kind of just coming full circle.

        Yes, although notions of virtuosity (or at least complex technique)
        are more at play in Beefheart , than, say, the Fall or Pavement.
        (Sonic Youth fall somewhere in between, and Ubu varies depending on
        the lineup, but a lot of Ravenstine's work is technically complex.)

        > Hey! Wow! Imagine a jazz album of rearranged Captain Beefheart. That would
        > be fantastic.
        >
        > (Tip: This is where somebody grunts, "Pshaw, it would just sound exactly
        > like [free jazz album X].")

        Or like a lot of Gary Lucas's work post-Beeheart! Now, a jazz album
        of rearranged Fall would be pretty unexpected...and something I'd like
        to hear.