new CDs (including rumor of a Jay Farrar soundtrack)

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
      From http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/release183.shtm. The little I've
      heard of ex-Come, ex-Steve Wynn guitarist Brokaw's record sounds like it'll
      appeal to fans of atmospheric twang (WGC, Pinetop Seven), and the Silkworm
      record (featuring Kelly Hogan) is my favorite thing I've heard this year.

      In addition, I didn't see this on ICE's release schedule, and who knows
      when it'll be released, but some folks here may be interested in this
      tidbit from Bloodshot:

      ***

      We've also finished post-production work on the soundtrack to a movie
      called "Slaughter Rule" (no, it's not a slasher flick). Jay Farrar did the
      score, and it features brand new recordings from Jay, Freakwater, Pernice
      Brothers, Cheri Knight and the Blood Oranges, Vic Chestnutt, as well as
      previously released stuff from Neko Case, Ryan Adams, the Flatlanders, and
      Uncle Tupelo. It's really quite excellent. As soon as the film's
      distribution is firmed up, we will have a better idea when this will be
      released. Stay tuned.

      ***

      June 4

      Beachwood Sparks Make the Cowboy Robots Cry (EP) (Sub Pop)

      The Bevis Frond What Did for the Dinosaurs (Rubric)

      Chris Brokaw Red Cities (Atavistic)

      Peter Brotzmann Group For Adolphe Sax (Atavistic)

      Tommy Keene The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down (Wilco's Jay Bennett guests)
      (spinART)

      Los Lobos Good Morning Aztlán (produced by John Leckie) (Mammoth)

      Marlee MacLeod Like Hollywood (Catamount)

      Tift Merritt Bramble Rose (Lost Highway)

      The Model Rockets Tell the Kids (The Cops Are Here) (Young Fresh Fellows?
      Scott McCaughey and Kurt Bloch guest) (Not Lame)

      Meshell Ndegéocello Cookie: The Anthropological Mixtape (Maverick)

      The Possibilities Way Out! (Parasol)

      Jason Ringenberg (ex-Jason & the Scorchers) All Over Creation (Yep Roc)

      Silkworm Italian Platinum (Touch and Go)

      Tobin Sprout Sentimental Stations (EP) (Recordhead/Wigwam)

      Roger Wallace The Lowdown (Toni Price duets on "Blow Wind Blow") (Lone Star)

      Anna Waronker Anna (guests Redd Kross's Steve McDonald) (Five Foot
      Two/Oglio)

      June 11

      Bill Frisell The Willies (w/cover of Leadbelly's "Goodnight Irene")
      (Nonesuch)

      Robin Holcomb The Big Time (Nonesuch)

      Jorma Kaukonen Blue Country Heart (Columbia)

      June 18

      Drive-by Truckers Southern Rock Opera (two CDs) (Lost Highway)

      Fury Resurrection (EP) (Jade Tree)

      Peter Gabriel Long Walk Home (Real World)

      Guided by Voices Universal Truths and Cycles (Matador)

      Pere Ubu St. Arkansas (spinART)

      Chuck Prophet No Other Love (New West)

      Leni Stern Finally the Rain Has Come (Bill Frisell guests) (LSR)

      VA The Bottle Let Me Down (Bloodshot)

      June 25

      Ray Brown Some of My Best Friends Are...Guitarists (Telarc Jazz)

      Cynics Turn Me Loose (Get Hip)

      The Domino Kings The Back of Your Mind (Slewfoot)

      Arto Lindsay Invoke (Righteous Babe)

      The Loud Family From Ritual to Romance (125)

      Heather Myles Sweet Talk & Good Lies (Dwight Yoakam guests) (Rounder)

      ***

      Carl Z.
    • jlswedberg
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
        This may be my album of the year (although I haven't heard Silkworm yet
        <g>). Lance has a copy coming to him in the mail, so if he likes it,
        perhaps he'll corroborate what I'm saying. :-)

        It's sort of a garage-rock-meets-Pet-Sounds thing...dripping with
        reverb and psychedelia and longing. It's astounding and beautiful, yet
        still very rough and dissonant in certain ways.

        --Jamie S.

        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
        June 4
        The Possibilities Way Out! (Parasol)
      • czimring
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "jlswedberg" <jlswedberg@y...> wrote:
          > It's sort of a garage-rock-meets-Pet-Sounds thing...dripping with
          > reverb and psychedelia and longing. It's astounding and beautiful, yet
          > still very rough and dissonant in certain ways.
          >
          > --Jamie S.
          >
          > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
          > June 4
          > The Possibilities Way Out! (Parasol)

          Do they sound like the Posies at all? That's the image I'm getting.
          I'll have to see if we have a copy at the station this evening...

          Carl Z.
        • Lance Davis
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
            <<It's sort of a garage-rock-meets-Pet-Sounds thing...dripping
            with reverb and psychedelia and longing. It's astounding and
            beautiful, yet still very rough and dissonant in certain ways
            ... Jamie S>>

            For the record, I pretty much like any music that drips. It's
            astounding and beautiful I have problems with <g>.

            Lance

            =====
            "I don't cut the ribbon at the opening of markets. I don't stand next to the mayor. Hit your baseball into my yard and you'll never see it again."
            --Tom Waits

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          • jlswedberg
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
              Mmmmmmmmmmmaybe, but I don't think so. Believe it or not, I've only
              ever seen the Posies live, not heard their records (except for a couple
              of songs), so I'm not really in a position to say.
              It sounds like ATHENS, is what it sounds like. Tell me if you manage to
              find it and listen to it.
              --Jamie S.

              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

              > Do they sound like the Posies at all? That's the image I'm getting.
              > I'll have to see if we have a copy at the station this evening...
              >
              > Carl Z.
            • czimring
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "jlswedberg" <jlswedberg@y...> wrote:
                > It sounds like ATHENS, is what it sounds like. Tell me if you manage to
                > find it and listen to it.
                > --Jamie S.

                I couldn't find it (maybe we haven't been serviced with a radio weasel
                promo copy yet), but your comment prompted another question -- did
                David Barbe produce, record and/or mix the disc? I shall look for it
                again when I return from St. Louis...

                Carl Z.
              • lmerlin01
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                  > From http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/release183.shtm. The little
                  I've
                  > heard of ex-Come, ex-Steve Wynn guitarist Brokaw's record sounds
                  like it'll
                  > appeal to fans of atmospheric twang (WGC, Pinetop Seven), and the
                  Silkworm
                  > record (featuring Kelly Hogan) is my favorite thing I've heard
                  this year.

                  I'm looking forward to hearing this, Carl. Speaking of Chris Brokaw
                  <insert gratuitous praise for ex-members of Come <g>) I'm not sure
                  if you liked the Thalia Zedek CD "Been Here and Gone" bit it was my
                  favorite CD last year. You folks who love beautiful mopey strings,
                  smoke- and- whiskey scorched voice will love this CD (I think). It
                  reminds me a (very) little of Marianne Faithful. I love love me
                  some Thalia.

                  Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
                  Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
                  pretty interesting

                  Lisa, trying to catch up when I can
                • jlswedberg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                    Dave Barbe records almost anybody who is anybody around here, but the
                    disc doesn't really sound like his work. I'll ask. I would look on the
                    liner notes, but I have no liner notes since we only have a burned copy
                    that was given to us in the street by a member of the band a couple
                    months ago. :-)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
                      > I'm not sure
                      > if you liked the Thalia Zedek CD "Been Here and Gone" bit it was my
                      > favorite CD last year. You folks who love beautiful mopey strings,
                      > smoke- and- whiskey scorched voice will love this CD (I think). It
                      > reminds me a (very) little of Marianne Faithful. I love love me
                      > some Thalia.

                      She smokes? No! It's a fine late-night record and I enjoyed her
                      Leonard Cohen cover -- their voices aren't all that different at this
                      point! I think Brokaw plays on it...

                      > Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
                      > Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
                      > pretty interesting

                      He's from San Francisco and I just cannot remember the name of the
                      band he was in until a couple of years ago. Poppy guitar-based rock;
                      maybe Bill knows? I want to say he's worked with Chris von Sneirden
                      but have no idea.

                      vaguely,
                      Carl Z.
                    • david_michael_siegel
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                        > > Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
                        > > Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
                        > > pretty interesting
                        >
                        > He's from San Francisco and I just cannot remember the name of the
                        > band he was in until a couple of years ago. Poppy guitar-based
                        rock;
                        > maybe Bill knows? I want to say he's worked with Chris von Sneirden
                        > but have no idea.

                        Definitely poppy indie guitar rock. I heard more of a Kinks
                        influence than anything else.

                        I've seen him a couple of times, once at a SXSW day party and once in
                        Chicago at the Abbey Pub (opening for Lambchop). My impression's
                        been that he can't hold it together in a live show as well as on
                        album, but I've liked what I've heard off the latest (Life & Death of
                        an American Fourtracker).

                        David
                      • Steve Gardner
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                          john vanderslice was a member of MK Ultra who did the song "bill gates must die." our station, wxdu, has been playing the crap out of the cd, but i don't know much about his music myself. everyone here loves him, but i haven't been paying enough attention in that area.

                          in an unrelated note, our local indie rock record store (Radio Free Records in Durham) got robbed last night. we just went by there today to buy the tift record (on vinyl!) but their doors were closed. very sad. i doubt they even had insurance since they didn't even pay for heating or a/c. they are one of my favorite stores ever. nice guys, helpful, they find great cds and sell 'em cheap. it makes me sad. as my friend matt said, "they should use the electric chairs on people who rob indie rock record stores." i'm with him.

                          steve