RE: [fearnwhiskey] Clip: Jazz masters Coltrane and Monk come alive in new release of 'lost' recording from 1957

  • Jason Baldwin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
      > I hope you weren't badly injured!

      Well, he did say "nearly jumped." <g>

      I bought it mostly for Coltrane -- my jazz collection consists of little
      besides 'Trane: BLUE TRAIN, THE LAST GIANT, THE COMPLETE VILLAGE VANGUARD
      RECORDINGS, BALLADS, THE CLASSIC QUARTET, DUKE ELLINGTON & JOHN COLTRANE --
      though I've KIND OF BLUE, SKETCHES OF SPAIN, THE COMPLETE BITCHES BREW
      SESSIONS, and MINGUS AT ANTIBES, and a handful of other "classics" I haven't
      dumped into iTunes yet. I've always preferred listening to Coltrane to
      almost everyone else, but this "new" recording is making me want to go buy
      as much Monk as I can find. Any suggestions where to start?

      -Jason
      np: Jay-Z, "99 Problems"
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
        --On Friday, October 7, 2005 3:03 PM -0500 Jason Baldwin
        <jason-bb@...> wrote:

        > I've always preferred listening to Coltrane to
        > almost everyone else, but this "new" recording is making me want to go buy
        > as much Monk as I can find. Any suggestions where to start?

        If this is your starting point, I bet you'd enjoy his _Plays Duke
        Ellington_ and _Brilliant Corners_ records. And his work with Art Blakley,
        and then...this stops being a good suggestion of "where to start."

        Have you seen Straight, No Chaser?

        Carl Z.
      • Jason Baldwin
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
          > If this is your starting point, I bet you'd enjoy his _Plays
          > Duke Ellington_ and _Brilliant Corners_ records. And his
          > work with Art Blakley, and then...this stops being a good
          > suggestion of "where to start."

          Thanks for the tips. Making my way to the record store after work. I hate
          Best Buy, but I have a $20 reward certificate burning a hole in my pocket.

          > Have you seen Straight, No Chaser?

          Not yet, but I'm thinking I should track it down. It'll be an online order,
          from the looks of it.

          -Jason