RE: [fearnwhiskey] Clip: Jazz masters Coltrane and Monk come alive in new release of 'lost' recording from 1957

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
      --On Friday, October 7, 2005 2:52 PM -0500 Jason Baldwin
      <jason-bb@...> wrote:

      >> "First and foremost, it's the music," Lundvall said. "Every
      >> musician I've played it for has nearly jumped through the window."
      >
      > My reaction was pretty much the same when I heard it Tuesday for the first
      > time. So, sooooo good.

      I hope you weren't badly injured!

      Carl Z.
    • Jason Baldwin
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
        > I hope you weren't badly injured!

        Well, he did say "nearly jumped." <g>

        I bought it mostly for Coltrane -- my jazz collection consists of little
        besides 'Trane: BLUE TRAIN, THE LAST GIANT, THE COMPLETE VILLAGE VANGUARD
        RECORDINGS, BALLADS, THE CLASSIC QUARTET, DUKE ELLINGTON & JOHN COLTRANE --
        though I've KIND OF BLUE, SKETCHES OF SPAIN, THE COMPLETE BITCHES BREW
        SESSIONS, and MINGUS AT ANTIBES, and a handful of other "classics" I haven't
        dumped into iTunes yet. I've always preferred listening to Coltrane to
        almost everyone else, but this "new" recording is making me want to go buy
        as much Monk as I can find. Any suggestions where to start?

        -Jason
        np: Jay-Z, "99 Problems"
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
          --On Friday, October 7, 2005 3:03 PM -0500 Jason Baldwin
          <jason-bb@...> wrote:

          > I've always preferred listening to Coltrane to
          > almost everyone else, but this "new" recording is making me want to go buy
          > as much Monk as I can find. Any suggestions where to start?

          If this is your starting point, I bet you'd enjoy his _Plays Duke
          Ellington_ and _Brilliant Corners_ records. And his work with Art Blakley,
          and then...this stops being a good suggestion of "where to start."

          Have you seen Straight, No Chaser?

          Carl Z.
        • Jason Baldwin
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
            > If this is your starting point, I bet you'd enjoy his _Plays
            > Duke Ellington_ and _Brilliant Corners_ records. And his
            > work with Art Blakley, and then...this stops being a good
            > suggestion of "where to start."

            Thanks for the tips. Making my way to the record store after work. I hate
            Best Buy, but I have a $20 reward certificate burning a hole in my pocket.

            > Have you seen Straight, No Chaser?

            Not yet, but I'm thinking I should track it down. It'll be an online order,
            from the looks of it.

            -Jason