Clip: Daniel Lanois & Tortoise tour together

  • Carl A Zimring
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2005
      <http://pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-10/06.shtml#tortoise>
      Tortoise Kick Off Tour With Daniel Lanois Tonight

      Kati Llewellyn reports:
      Tonight, Tortoise and Daniel Lanois will begin a tour notable not for its longevity, expansiveness, or festival dates, but for its originality. Before you get too excited, remember that originality has spawned such awful inventions as butter spray, the beer hat, and of course, those baby bottles meant to be worn around the necks of daddys to mimic... well, you get where that's going.

      Tortoise and Lanois be co-headlining and collaborating on this adventure, with Tortoise playing both independently and as backup for Lanois. Yeah, big ol' WTF right there. Lanois, known for his production with Brian Eno, U2, Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel, etc. etc. etc. as well as his this-dude-should-have-stuck-to-behind-the-scenes-work release Belladonna, will mesh his pedal steel guitar antics with Tortoise's post-rock instrumentals. Our advice: call your dealer beforehand. Those visuals at Intonation were psychedelic, man.

      According to Billboard.com, Tortoise will be road-testing new material for their next Thrill Jockey album on this tour, which is tentatively due in late 2006. Bassist Doug McCombs told Billboard, "Our last album was kind of crammed full of melodies, and for whatever reason, we felt like every song we wrote for it, the natural thing was to try and put a melody on top to make it real concrete. We've kind of been shying away from that. A few things we've been working on, we've left them in a more open area where they could be flexible. They don't have to be so grounded in a strict melodic structure." McCombs also said that he's working on a new Eleventh Dream Day album.

      As for that long-anticipated Tortoise / Will Oldham covers album, which was due to come out October 11 on Overcoat, we'll just have to keep waiting. It's now scheduled for release early next year.

      Slow and steady wins the race:

      10-06 Boston, MA - Somerville Theatre
      10-07 New York, NY - Irving Plaza
      10-08 Philadelphia, PA - Theatre of Living Arts
      10-10 Chicago, IL - Park West
      10-11 Madison, WI - Barrymore Theatre
      10-12 Minneapolis, MN - Fine Line
      10-14 Boulder, CO - Fox Theatre
      10-15 Park City, UT - Suede
      10-17 Vancouver, British Columbia - Commodore Ballroom
      10-18 Seattle, WA - Neumos
      10-19 Portland, OR - Aladdin Theatre
      10-20 San Francisco, CA - The Independent
      10-21 San Francisco, CA - The Independent
      10-22 Los Angeles, CA - The Avalon

      * Daniel Lanois: http://www.daniellanois.com
      * Tortoise: http://www.trts.com/
    • Kevin J. Hosey
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2005
        As I write this, Val and I are listening to Peter Case and his band
        rehearse next door. He is staying with his childhood friend, musician
        Jim Whitford, and he plays here Friday.
        You can read a bit more on this at our new blog, which you can reach
        through our web site main page at http://Buffaloroots.com, and I swear
        this is not just a cheap ploy to get people to read our web site or
        blog.

        Kevin
        http://Buffaloroots.com