Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on September 29, 2005

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2005
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on September 29, 2005

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      - - -
      [ This was week #1 of the two week (OK, actually 11 days) Fall
      Pledge Drive. Thanks to everybody who pledged, the phone volunteers,
      & the volunteers behind the scenes. KDHX could not survive without
      your efforts and generosity. And special thanks to Steve Pick for
      sitting in on "Memphis To Manchester." Here's hoping that week #2
      goes as well. It has to. Now, on with the play list.....it might be
      a pledge drive but that doesn't mean it's not the same music, as
      usual. We don't need no stinkin' Michael Flatley !!! ]

      King Curtis - Memphis Soul Stew - Atlantic R&B 1947-74 Box Set -
      Atlantic
      [ This song embodies what a large part of Memphis To Manchester
      is about. Has any city contributed more to American music than
      Memphis? This 8-CD set is indispensable for fans of R&B and soul. ]

      Ray Charles - You're About To Lose Your Clown - Crying Time -
      ABC-Paramount
      [ Ray Charles got the proverbial offer he couldn't refuse when
      he left the indie label, Atlantic, and moved over to ABC-Paramount.
      Most notably, more artistic control & ownership of his recording
      masters. ]

      James Carr - Pouring Water On A Drowning Man - You Got My Mind
      Messed Up - Kent
      [ One of two classic southern soul albums recorded by James Carr
      for the Goldwax (Memphis) label. ]

      Shirley Scott - Soul Shoutin' - Mod Jazz - Kent
      [ Shirley Scott played organ on soul-jazz tracks like this and
      was married to tenor saxophonist, Stanley Turrentine. This provided
      the instumental bed while Steve and I attempted to make Pledge Drive
      history. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Shangri-Las - The Train From Kansas City - Myrmidons Of
      Melodrama - RPM

      Kim Weston - Eleanor Rigby - Soul Gospel - Soul Jazz
      [ I love the way this track starts out sounding like a James
      Bond theme song and morphs into some kind of soul-jazz track with
      wailing vocals at the end. ]

      Jimmy Griffin & Matthew Gee & Their Soul Groovers - Twist City -
      Yet Mo' Mod Jazz - Kent
      [ This Jimmy Griffin predates the Jimmy Griffin of Nadine by
      about 40 years. OK, one heck of a cornball name for a compilation but
      it's a great collection of jazz, funk, and soul pulled from the
      Atlantic catalog of the 60s. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Bettye Lavette - Just Say So - I've Got My Own Hell To Raise -
      Anti-*
      [ Appearing at BBs Jazz Blues & Soups on Wednesday (11/16). It's
      a little ways off but I suspect you'll be hearing more about this on
      KDHX. The vocal on this Bobbie Cryner song just floors me. ]

      Nick Lowe - Cold Grey Light Of Dawn - Dig My Mood - Upstart
      [ Great voacal by Nick Lowe on this Ivory Joe Hunter song. ]

      Eddie Harris - Foolish - Soul Cargo - Vol. 3 - Bar Records
      [ This Belgium label has put eight volumes of in this series
      which compiles jazz, soul, instrumentals, & funk from the 60s. The
      packaging is rather austere on these compilations but they have a lot
      of things I've never heard before. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Elvis Costello - Complicated Shadows - All This Useless Beauty -
      Warner Bros.
      [ Thinks I'm going to have Steve Pick assist with the pledge
      drive and not play one EC song? This sounded great live when Elvis
      Costello played the Pageant a couple of months back. ]

      Fountains Of Wayne - Trains & Boats & Planes - Out-Of-State
      Plates - Virgin*
      [ I just don't get tired of this Burt Bacharach cover. Oh, and
      seek out Robbie Fulks' "Fountains Of Wayne Hot Line" on iTunes. Now,
      that's comedy. ]

      Booker T. & The MGs - Hip Hug Her - Best Of Booker T. & The MGs -
      Atlantic

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Sam Phillips - Lying - Cruel Inventions - Virgin

      Spoon - Car Radio - A Series Of Sneaks - Merge

      Clash - Safe European Home - Give 'em Enough Rope - Epic+

      Dengue Fever - Ethanopium - Broken Flowers: Music From The Film -
      Decca*
      [ This collection of songs from the latest Jim Jarmusch film is
      just terrific. I ended up buying three albums just because of the
      songs on this collection. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Hold Steady - Your Little Hoodrat Friend - Separation
      Sunday - French Kiss
      [ They will be playing in Columbia at Mojo's on Thursday,
      October 27th along with the the Constantines out of Ontario, Canada.
      This ought to be one great show. ]

      The Who - Substitute - Live At Leeds - MCA
      [ Just imagine being at this show. ]

      The Kinks - Everybody's Gonna Be Happy - Greatest Hits - Rhino

      Death In Vegas - Girls - Lost In Translation OST - Emperor
      Norton
      [ Bill Murray was robbed. Robbed, I tell you. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Neko Case - Buckets Of Rain - Sweetheart 2005 - Hear Music
      [ This was one of the highlights of her Twangfest set back in
      June. This collection can only be found at the world's largest
      purveyor of mochas & lattes in the world & at www.hearmusic.com ]

      Peter Wolf - Nothing But The Wheel - Sleepless - Artemis
      [ This track features the vocals of Peter Wolf & Mick Jagger and
      still beats anything on the latest, critically-acclaimed "A Bigger
      Bang." ]

      Bobby Fuller Four - Thunder Reef - I Fought The Law / KRLA: King
      Of The Wheels - Del-Fi
      [ Bit of Trivia: KRLA was an AM radio station I used to hear
      growing up in Southern California. Maybe not exciting trivia but
      there you have it. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Robbie Fulks - Cocktails - 13 Hillbilly Giants - Bloodshot

      Unknown - What Is Beer? - Songs To Drink Beer By - Vol. 2 -
      Salty Dog
      [ They give you the answer at the end of the song. IT'S GREAT.
      This is Volume 2 of Songs To Drink Beer By. I'd love to find Volume
      1. ]

      Jim Ed Brown - Pop A Top - Country Music 1967-74 - Sony / ATV

      Mike Auldridge - Everybody Slides - Dobro/Blues & Bluegrass -
      Takoma

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Shorty Long - Devil With The Blue Dress On - Hitsville USA: The
      Motown Singles Collection 1959-1971 - Motown
      [ This predated the Mitch Ryder version and has a slower, more
      bluesy groove to it. Great single which was a minor hit for Shorty
      Long. ]

      Sam Cooke - Everybody Loves to Cha Cha Cha - The Man Who Invented
      Soul [Box Set] - RCA
      [ If this doesn't put you in a pledging mood........... ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Ron Buford - Chicken Tracks - Super Funk - Vol. 4 1966-73 - BGP+
      [ This was a request from somebody who brought in money for the
      pledge drive. I had never heard of Ron Buford but it was a heck of a
      great track. ]

      Otis Redding - You Left The Water Running - Otis! The Definitive
      Otis Redding - Rhino
      [ Another must-have box set for fans of soul. ]

      Flash & The Memphis Casuals - Uptight Tonight - Uptight Tonight -
      Big Beat*
      [ This Memphis band featured a young Jim Dickinson. Most of the
      garage songs here are from 1964 to 1967. ]

      Amos Milburn - Down The Road A Piece - Bad Bad Whiskey: 1946-
      1950 - EPM Musique