Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [fearnwhiskey] New Silkworm

Expand Messages
  • Lance Davis
    Hey y all, greetings from Austin - So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought
    Message 1 of 26 , May 19, 2002
    • 0 Attachment
      Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -

      So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
      coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
      read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
      now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
      than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
      around?

      Lance

      =====
      "Marge: Nobody told us how tough it is to raise kids. They almost drove me to fortified wine.

      Homer: Then we figured out we could park them in front of the TV. That's how I was raised, and I turned out TV."

      __________________________________________________
      Do You Yahoo!?
      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • czimring
      ... Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_ comes out on Touch & Go the first week in June. So far, it s my favorite record released this
      Message 2 of 26 , May 19, 2002
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
        > Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -
        >
        > So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
        > coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
        > read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
        > now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
        > than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
        > around?

        Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_ comes out
        on Touch & Go the first week in June. So far, it's my favorite record
        released this year (I haven't heard the new Alejandro yet) mixing the
        boys' concise rock with some keyboards and Kelly Hogan's gorgeous
        singing. (She takes lead vocals on one song and does backup on much
        of the disc.)

        Silkworm gradually migrated to Chicago over the past few years,
        starting when Andy Cohen went to law school. I think Tim Midgett
        works for Shure. I selfishly love the move because it means they're
        much closer to -- and more likely to play in -- Pittsburgh.

        Carl
      • Dan Rigney
        OK_ I ve seen Silkworm come up in several places now as a name, but have heard nothing. I m curious. Where s a good place to sample em? Dan if you hear about
        Message 3 of 26 , May 19, 2002
        • 0 Attachment
          OK_

          I've seen Silkworm come up in several places now as a name, but have heard nothing. I'm curious. Where's a good place to sample 'em?

          Dan "if you hear about something three times from three different unrelated sources, check it out" Rigney

          At 04:03 PM 5/19/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
          > Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -
          >
          > So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
          > coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
          > read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
          > now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
          > than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
          > around?

          Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_ comes out
          on Touch & Go the first week in June.  So far, it's my favorite record
          released this year (I haven't heard the new Alejandro yet) mixing the
          boys' concise rock with some keyboards and Kelly Hogan's gorgeous
          singing.  (She takes lead vocals on one song and does backup on much
          of the disc.)

          Silkworm gradually migrated to Chicago over the past few years,
          starting when Andy Cohen went to law school.  I think Tim Midgett
          works for Shure.  I selfishly love the move because it means they're
          much closer to -- and more likely to play in -- Pittsburgh.

          Carl


          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          ADVERTISEMENT
          9c13ab.jpg
          9c147e.jpg

          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          fearnwhiskey-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com



          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        • Lance Davis
          Good luck Dan. I tried Googling but only came up with MP3s for Silkworm s side project with Steve Milkmoose, the Crust Brothers. That s alright, but not very
          Message 4 of 26 , May 19, 2002
          • 0 Attachment
            Good luck Dan. I tried Googling but only came up with MP3s for
            Silkworm's side project with Steve Milkmoose, the Crust
            Brothers. That's alright, but not very representative.

            As for starting points, YMMV, but I think Libertine's the high
            water mark for the Joel Phelps era - and still my favorite SKWM
            record. Three good-to-great songwriters finally hitting their
            stride, a very spacious and deep recording (courtesy of Steve
            Albini, who knows about such things), and phat ol' guitars. I
            don't know what other people call this kind of music - emo,
            maybe? - but Television, Thin White Rope, Joy Division and a
            bunch of square-jawed Krautrockers seem to be the obvious
            touchstones.

            Of the post-Phelps records I think Firewater has the
            widest-ranging collection of songs, but Developer and Lifestyle
            are both well-worth checking out. Then's there's the comps,
            which should NOT be your starting point.

            Hope some of this helps. Lance

            --- Dan Rigney <rigney@...> wrote:
            > OK_
            >
            > I've seen Silkworm come up in several places now as a name,
            > but have heard
            > nothing. I'm curious. Where's a good place to sample 'em?
            >
            > Dan "if you hear about something three times from three
            > different unrelated
            > sources, check it out" Rigney
            >
            > At 04:03 PM 5/19/2002 +0000, you wrote:
            > >--- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
            > > > Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -
            > > >
            > > > So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this
            > sucker
            > > > coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought
            > I
            > > > read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said
            > they were
            > > > now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated
            > there
            > > > than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs
            > floating
            > > > around?
            > >
            > >Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_
            > comes out
            > >on Touch & Go the first week in June. So far, it's my
            > favorite record
            > >released this year (I haven't heard the new Alejandro yet)
            > mixing the
            > >boys' concise rock with some keyboards and Kelly Hogan's
            > gorgeous
            > >singing. (She takes lead vocals on one song and does backup
            > on much
            > >of the disc.)
            > >
            > >Silkworm gradually migrated to Chicago over the past few
            > years,
            > >starting when Andy Cohen went to law school. I think Tim
            > Midgett
            > >works for Shure. I selfishly love the move because it means
            > they're
            > >much closer to -- and more likely to play in -- Pittsburgh.
            > >
            > >Carl

            __________________________________________________
            Do You Yahoo!?
            LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
            http://launch.yahoo.com
          • lmerlin01
            ... to ... That s what I hear too. I m bummed because I really thought I would be able to see him now that I m in Seattle.I m the only one out of the P2
            Message 5 of 26 , May 19, 2002
            • 0 Attachment
              >
              > Yep, all of the above. News-wise, I don't know if Joel has anything
              > coming out -- last I heard he had moved to Vancouver and was going
              to
              > get married.

              That's what I hear too. I'm bummed because I really thought I would
              be able to see him now that I'm in Seattle.I'm the only one out of
              the P2 contingency who like him though (they equate Joel with the
              sound a cat makes when you step on it's tail <grin>).

              I haven't even heard any Silkworm yet.What should I start with (if I
              ever get any money)



              KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
              > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night)

              She is out in Seattle too but hasn't played yet. What's going on
              here?!

              We are going to see the Knitters tonight.This woman Jesse Skyes is
              backing them up.You guys may like her, she's a mopey twanger,lots of
              strings on the record. I like her.

              Lisa
            • wfsilvers
              ... It s a shame you ll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh occasionally, doesn t she? Anyhow, I m jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did Allison from
              Message 6 of 26 , May 19, 2002
              • 0 Attachment
                "czimring" wrote:

                > KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night) the same weekend as
                > Twangfest

                It's a shame you'll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh
                occasionally, doesn't she?
                Anyhow, I'm jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did "Allison" from
                that upcoming Stiff tribute record?

                b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for Vulgar
                Boatmen spin-offs( and so many people ask me!<g>), but who thinks the
                MJ's are OK too
              • czimring
                ... There s that money thing. I love Silkworm and I love Joel Phelps, but I think they ve made their best music away from each other. If you want to hear
                Message 7 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
                  > I haven't even heard any Silkworm yet.What should I start with (if I
                  > ever get any money)

                  There's that money thing. I love Silkworm and I love Joel Phelps, but
                  I think they've made their best music away from each other. If you
                  want to hear their best stuff with Joel, I agree that _Libertine_ is
                  the high point of that incarnation of the band, though the Matador
                  compilation _Even a Blind Chicken_ collects a lot of good material.
                  I'd start with the first trio record _Firewater_ (especially if you
                  like drinking songs -- gotta get the "whiskey" content in for this
                  list!), but any of the subsequent records save _Developer_ are fine
                  places to start. The new one is splendid; if you want to wait a
                  couple of weeks and dig Kelly Hogan, that would make an excellent
                  introduction.

                  I don't remember if they have any mp3's at the official band website,
                  but maybe Touch & Go or www.12xu.net (their UK label) have something.

                  > KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                  > > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night)
                  >
                  > She is out in Seattle too but hasn't played yet. What's going on
                  > here?!

                  She comes to town at least once a year. Don't know if a new record is
                  in the works or if she's just doing a tour to tour.

                  > We are going to see the Knitters tonight.This woman Jesse Skyes is
                  > backing them up.You guys may like her, she's a mopey twanger,lots of
                  > strings on the record. I like her.

                  I haven't heard this yet but will check to see if we have it in at the
                  station. Is she from Seattle?

                  Carl
                • czimring
                  ... About once a year, so I m not slitting my wrists over missing this one. Pittsburgh s a funny town -- we can go weeks with few good shows and then there s
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                  • 0 Attachment
                    About Ms. Hersh "wfsilvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                    > It's a shame you'll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh
                    > occasionally, doesn't she?

                    About once a year, so I'm not slitting my wrists over missing this
                    one. Pittsburgh's a funny town -- we can go weeks with few good shows
                    and then there's a cluster of can't-miss shows. I left town for a
                    week in 1998 and managed to miss very-rare appearances by Paul Kelly
                    and Pere Ubu. Kelly finally came back last month but I'm still
                    waiting on Ubu. I'll miss KH this time, but luckily Alejandro
                    Escovedo plays a free oudoor show the following Tuesday.

                    > Anyhow, I'm jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did "Allison" from
                    > that upcoming Stiff tribute record?

                    They did not, but Janas unveiled a few new songs, some of which sound
                    like she's been listening to gospel. Good stuff, I hope they make it
                    to a CD comes out before too long.

                    > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for Vulgar
                    > Boatmen spin-offs( and so many people ask me!<g>), but who thinks the
                    > MJ's are OK too

                    Did they put a record out last year, Bill? If you bring in the Silos,
                    that's quite a fertile family tree.

                    Carl
                  • Patrick Randerson
                    It s been so long since I ve had an earful of fear and whiskey! Though when I saw the group name, I thought it was fernwhiskey -- some group about making
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                    • 0 Attachment
                      It's been so long since I've had an earful of fear and whiskey!
                      Though when I saw the group name, I thought it was fernwhiskey -- some
                      group about making pre-cambrian alcohol or a bunch of washington state
                      hippies.

                      Anyhow, I'll argue that Firewater is probably the best Silkworm record,
                      but I have a hard time picking between the foursome-era Libertine and In
                      the West. In the West is rough and raw, and there's some really great
                      tracks on it.
                      Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
                      into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

                      Here's hoping that the new one smacks me in the face like In the West did.

                      I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
                      of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
                      long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
                      new one worth it?

                      I've yet to find any radio in Columbus, OH that gives me my new music fix,
                      so I'm stuck with recommendations + Audiogalaxy to tell me what to buy.
                    • Rob Jefferson
                      ... I really couldn t get into Developer. It was an okay album, but a bit of a letdown, since there wasn t much that stood out (except, perhaps, for Ice
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On Sun, 19 May 2002, Patrick Randerson wrote:

                        > Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
                        > into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

                        I really couldn't get into Developer. It was an okay album, but a bit of
                        a letdown, since there wasn't much that stood out (except, perhaps, for
                        "Ice Station Zebra"). I didn't mind Blueblood too much -- true, it wasn't
                        a great album, but it had its share of moments, even if occasionally they
                        sounded downright bored. Aside from "Treat the New Guy Right" and the
                        Faces cover, I wasn't too keen on Lifestyle. Just seemed...rather
                        mediocre for them.

                        > I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
                        > of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
                        > long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
                        > new one worth it?

                        There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.
                        Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
                        her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky Motel.
                        Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable -- but
                        that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with it. I
                        still say to pick it up, though.

                        And...err...hi, Patrick. Long time no see. :)

                        rob
                      • Patrick Randerson
                        ... Apparently not. Shows how much I pay attention to anything these days. I saw Sunny Border Blue in the store, read some reviews online, and never bothered
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                        • 0 Attachment
                          > There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.

                          Apparently not. Shows how much I pay attention to anything these days. I
                          saw Sunny Border Blue in the store, read some reviews online, and never
                          bothered to look at the release date. So yeah, that was a long time ago --
                          I need to get out of the lab and into the record store more often.


                          I'll just sit down and be quiet...
                        • czimring
                          ... Motel. ... -- but ... it. I ... It s one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                          • 0 Attachment
                            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Rob Jefferson <jeffer@t...> wrote:
                            > Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
                            > her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky
                            Motel.
                            > Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable
                            -- but
                            > that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with
                            it. I
                            > still say to pick it up, though.

                            It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
                            _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
                            than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
                            striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
                            Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
                            haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

                            Carl
                          • Laura A. Watt
                            It s one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion than on previous
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                            • 0 Attachment
                              It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
                              _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
                              than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
                              striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
                              Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
                              haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

                              She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!

                              laura
                            • czimring
                              ... Really? Who s in the band? I eagerly await this one... Carl
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                              • 0 Attachment
                                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                > She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!
                                >
                                > laura

                                Really? Who's in the band? I eagerly await this one...

                                Carl
                              • Laura A. Watt
                                Same band, I m pretty sure -- I ve not been following the latest news, but I m sure there s plenty of info on the website, http://www.throwingmusic.com The new
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Same band, I'm pretty sure -- I've not been following the latest
                                  news, but I'm sure there's plenty of info on the website,
                                  http://www.throwingmusic.com

                                  The new Works in Progress is up and waiting to be subscribed to, too
                                  -- there have been three songs so far, two of which she more or less
                                  said "this is when i knew it was going to have to be a Muses
                                  record"...

                                  full of incomplete information,
                                  laura
                                • czimring
                                  ... Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and they aren t doing
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                    > full of incomplete information,
                                    > laura

                                    Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                                    that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and they
                                    aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo set
                                    at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                                    Carl
                                  • wfsilvers
                                    ... Vulgar Boatmen spin-offs ... Yup, October 23rd (if the AMG is to be believed). It s called DISTANT RELATIVE and it s self-released, which is probably why
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                    • 0 Attachment
                                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> replied to my MoL :

                                      > > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for
                                      Vulgar Boatmen spin-offs

                                      > Did they put a record out last year, Bill?

                                      Yup, October 23rd (if the AMG is to be believed). It's called DISTANT
                                      RELATIVE and it's self-released, which is probably why it flew way
                                      under my radar till this spring (and even then I kept forgetting about
                                      it...I've finally got a copy on order, and I'll report back once i've
                                      heard it). The MoL website appears to be down
                                      ( members.aol.com/autobeatnik/ )
                                      which might have a little something to do with the massive buzz the
                                      record isn't getting.

                                      > If you bring in the Silos, that's quite a fertile family tree.

                                      Yeah, though The Silos are sort of the older brother of the Boatmen,
                                      which makes them an uncle to MoL, unless they're an aunt...I'm getting
                                      all confused now. If you bring MoL's Antenna mom into it, and the
                                      Blake Babies grandma (or is it aunt?), well, I'm getting all confused.
                                      <g>

                                      b.s.
                                    • lmerlin01
                                      ... they ... set ... Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I ve had that song about
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                      • 0 Attachment
                                        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

                                        >
                                        > Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                                        > that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and
                                        they
                                        > aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo
                                        set
                                        > at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                                        Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                        Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                        about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                        one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                        so I can play it now?

                                        Carl asked about Jesse Sykes. Yes, she's from Seattle and plays with
                                        a band called the Sweet Hereafter with her boyfriend Phil, the
                                        grumpy one who played with Whiskeytown <g>. I really like most of
                                        the record, very melodic, sad, although her voice won't be for
                                        everyone. Check, check , check it out!

                                        Lisa
                                      • Laura A Watt
                                        ... It s called, aptly, green eyes and it s on their debut album called, aptly, Throwing Muses. 1987. Which is when i first heard it, couldn t stop
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                                        • 0 Attachment
                                          Lisa wrote:

                                          >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                          >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                          >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                          >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                          >so I can play it now?

                                          It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                                          called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                                          it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                                          fan ever since.

                                          A massive poll was recently done via the TM website to determine
                                          folks' favorite songs, which I believe Billy is going to use in part
                                          to great a "greatest hits" sort of thing at some point -- to see the
                                          poll results, go to

                                          http://www.solace.net/musings/BestMusesSongs.htm

                                          I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                                          in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                                          completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                                          others in the next ten.

                                          waking up to hooks in my head,
                                          laura
                                        • czimring
                                          ... And if you can t track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago. [poll] ... I dig Hate My Way ,
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                                          • 0 Attachment
                                            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Laura A Watt <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                            > Lisa wrote:
                                            >
                                            > >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                            > >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                            > >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                            > >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                            > >so I can play it now?
                                            >
                                            > It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                                            > called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                                            > it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                                            > fan ever since.

                                            And if you can't track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch
                                            of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago.

                                            [poll]
                                            > I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                                            > in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                                            > completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                                            > others in the next ten.

                                            I dig "Hate My Way", but am *shocked* that "Call Me" didn't even make
                                            the cut! (Both of those songs are on _Throwing Muses_ and are among
                                            my favorite songs of the 1980s.)

                                            Carl Z.*

                                            *By way of a welcome to Carl Wilson on this list (our first
                                            Canadian!), I shall now add an initial to differentiate our posts.
                                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.